DVDVR Message Board

Annual WWE Future Endeavoring Thread

14 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Meltzer said on the WON radio show that someone else was supposed to get cut but Cameron's pro-Ryback stance put her on the chopping block instead.

No indication or hints on who the person who is safe... for now... was

Expect more names by the end of June with the expiring contracts

Considering that Cameron was clearly the lowest woman on the totem pole and couldn't even stay in rotation on NXT, you'll excuse me if I call this Meltzer saying "I don't want to be a man and admit I fell for the same fake Joey Styles Twitter everyone else did earlier Friday, leading everyone to think Summer Rae was future endeavored- so I'm going to try and save face and make it look like it was a last minute change."

12 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Wait, in what era would Riley have been a big star?

The era in which people cheered for who they were told to, irrespective of how much that person sucked at everything. The Hogan era.

13 hours ago, The Nature Boy said:

Wouldn't it be bad PR for WWE to release Rose after ESPN dedicated a large portion of a special to talking about how sick his kid was and how they needed the money?

It's too bad and heart breaking that he has a sick kid, but it's not up to WWE to keep him employed for the rest of his life because of that. He's been given chances and he's not really that over and wouldn't be missed if he never came back. What is the upside of keeping Ray Leppan employed outside of the fact that he has a sick kid, especially when he fails the wellness program twice?

The bigger issue is that he was suspended and then produced a doctor's note and WWE hasn't made a peep about any of this. If he was fired now, I think there'd be some media surrounding it, especially due to the situation with his kid and how public that was due to ESPN.

Rose producing a hand-written note from his doctor to excuse him from the medicine test is kind of hilarious.

Riley wasn't in developmental for a decade.  Sure it feels like it but it was probably more like 5 before he got called up as Miz' sidekick.  He was doing the Raw Pre-Show and NXT commentary for a couple of years before that last in-ring NXT run.  It's not like he spent the whole time after the Miz feud running drills at the Performance Center.  I mean, that probably wouldn't have hurt him or anything.

Barrett was probably in developmental as long as Riley.  He started back when they still had OVW.  I've never understood people thinking he should've been World Champion.  Pedestrian in-ring talent.  Perpetually sidelined with injuries.  Barrett's the guy WWE should've been transitioning over to commentary.  He's good at it and can't hurt himself sitting at a desk.

Sandow's another guy I've never understood the appeal of.  If WWE still used managers he'd have some value but once the bell rings, there's just nothing.  Also, really terrible Macho Man impersonation.

El Torito is the only in-ring cut that matters.  WWE left so much money on the table with him.

And I still think they should've broken the Wyatts away from Bray and put them with Zeb as their manager.

On 5/9/2016 at 6:35 PM, tbarrie said:

Wait, in what era would Riley have been a big star?

I doubt he could've ever been a star, but he could've lived up to his midcard potential in the early 90s maybe.

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

According to PWinsider.com you can add Steve "Brooklyn Brawler" Lombardi to the list of people released.  Given how long he has been there this is rather interesting

He should be retirement age, no?

According to his wiki he's 55.. and surprisingly studied biochemistry in college.

42 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

He should be retirement age, no?

According to his wiki he's 55.. and surprisingly studied biochemistry in college.

In my head, I'm picturing Steve Lombardi working as a biochemist while wearing his Brooklyn Brawler gear, complete with leather cap and chomping on a cigar. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, zev said:

Does this mean the WWE isn't producing documentary DVDs anymore? Seems like he was a talking head in dozens of them.

11 hours ago, Infinit said:

I think he was a talking heads in so many because he was always around...not because he was a part of any specific documentary's focus.

9 hours ago, Ace said:

Brawler was usually the one in-charge at video shoots/backstage promos, so it makes sense that he was on all the docs.

Right, this was covered by, I want to say Court Bauer, maybe, on a few podcasts.  As Ace said, Lombardi was the guy in charge of rounding up talking heads for the DVDs and he often would pad things out (to put it in a nice way) by filming himself talking about every single subject.  Eventually, Vince caught on and asked "WHY THE FUCK IS BRAWLER ON EVERY DVD?"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jamal said:

Cameron was not too good in the ring but she did get some of the character stuff right. She would have been a good valet or manager. 

I agree.  She wasn't a good wrestler using any criteria. However, she's attractive, has personality, and fits a demographic WWE desperately needs to court to boost ratings/revenue.  She also showed some talent for talking, so being a valet would have been perfect for her.  I could easily see her alongside a heel Dolph Ziggler, doing something similar to what Miz & Maryse are doing now.  The GIRL BYE thing gets mocked, but it was fresh and current at the time she was pushing it.  She even got a t-shirt out of it.  Still not sure why she got hired in the first place but since she was, put her in a position to help get someone else some heat.  Besides dancing behind Hornswaggle, of course.

27 minutes ago, Burgundy LaRue said:

Still not sure why she got hired in the first place but since she was, put her in a position to help get someone else some heat.

KjUL6.gif

Why oh why did they hire her?

• Like 4