DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

Yeah but I care less about that. Sure, at the time it was a huge deal but hey, Taker spent over 25 years at or near the top of the biz, and has gotten to be a once-a-year special attraction these last years. Dude lived the dream. 

Bryan having his last ever match at age 33? That's a damn shame. 

• Like 2

The WWE is going to run Hawaii for the first time in 7 years

Looks like they are doing it on their way out for the Japan tour as the Hawaii date is June 29 and the Japan dates start on July 1

They are advertising Nakamura and Asuka for the Hawaii show (which makes sense that they are on the tour)

I have to figure one of these shows will be a Network special

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Looks like they are doing it on their way out for the Japan tour as the Hawaii date is June 29 and the Japan dates start on July 1

They are advertising Nakamura and Asuka for the Hawaii show (which makes sense that they are on the tour)

I have to figure one of these shows will be a Network special

Sounds like that Bash at the Beach Network special is happening after all.

• Like 3

Kenta Kobayashi didn't get to be KENTA, Kana turned into Asuka, and Prince Devitt had to become Finn Balor, but Shinsuke Nakamura gets to be Shinsuke Nakamura. It's like the 90s all over again (when Vader got to be Vader, and the Patriot got to be the Patriot, and Ken Shamrock was still Ken Shamrock, but Cactus Jack became Mankind). Is Nak going to kickstart a wave of "If it's OK for him, it's OK for me" real name signings?

TNA killed the previous real name era; Lesnar, Cena, Orton, Batista, Haas, Benjamin all got to be themselves because there was no WCW for them to jump to. But then TNA got on telly and suddenly everyone needed a new name.

58 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I also wouldn't be surprised if Nakamura, AJ, and Joe keeping their names is a result of a necessity to sell the Network to Japanese consumers.

Throw in Austin Aries still getting to be Austin Aries.

4 hours ago, RIPPA said:

BUT NO IDAHO! GODDAMN IDAHO! TO HELL WITH IDAHO!

Shit.

Would someone mind doing me a big favor?

If someone has the WWE (née WWF) cookbook, would you post or PM the recipe for the Tazz Red Hook Garlic Bread?  I'm wanting to make that tonight.

I'd appreciate it.

9 hours ago, Buy Me a Burrito said:

Someone is going to say that Dash Wilder's real name isn't Dash Wilder and I'm going to lose my shit. 

If it will make you feel better, I'm willing to buy you a bur....ger.  Hamburger.

11 hours ago, AxB said:

Kenta Kobayashi didn't get to be KENTA, Kana turned into Asuka, and Prince Devitt had to become Finn Balor, but Shinsuke Nakamura gets to be Shinsuke Nakamura. It's like the 90s all over again (when Vader got to be Vader, and the Patriot got to be the Patriot, and Ken Shamrock was still Ken Shamrock, but Cactus Jack became Mankind). Is Nak going to kickstart a wave of "If it's OK for him, it's OK for me" real name signings?

TNA killed the previous real name era; Lesnar, Cena, Orton, Batista, Haas, Benjamin all got to be themselves because there was no WCW for them to jump to. But then TNA got on telly and suddenly everyone needed a new name.

The whole "changing their names" thing is punitive, petty and dumb.  Business as usual for Vince, in other words.  "Oh, he might take the name he made here and use it to make money elsewhere!"  1) Who cares?  The guy made money for you while he was there 2) It's beyond arrogant to think that a guy is worthless until you rename him and put your machine behind him  3) So your solution is to hurt his ability to make money because he left?  Fuck.

That would be like my company having a policy that states that I can't list my experience here on a resume should I decide to quit. 

You can add Foley to the DDP Yoga train. He said he lost 50lbs using that and a combination of swimming. He's down to 288 from 338 and shooting for 275lbs by his bday. Good on him.

• Like 4

WWE.com is reporting that Robert "Blackjack Mulligan" Windham has passed away after a lengthy illness. 

Windham, 73, had been hospitalized in Florida, where he lived, with several health issues, including blood clots. Mulligan suffered a heart attack last year (which he downplayed publicly) and had been in ill-health for years, which he attributed in an interview with PWInsider.com several years ago to suffering from the ill effects of The Bends from a diving incident.

It seemed inevitable but still sad

9 hours ago, Technico Support said:

The whole "changing their names" thing is punitive, petty and dumb.  Business as usual for Vince, in other words.  "Oh, he might take the name he made here and use it to make money elsewhere!"  1) Who cares?  The guy made money for you while he was there 2) It's beyond arrogant to think that a guy is worthless until you rename him and put your machine behind him  3) So your solution is to hurt his ability to make money because he left?  Fuck.

That would be like my company having a policy that states that I can't list my experience here on a resume should I decide to quit. 

I worked for a major international company that had a policy against providing references even if you no longer worked there.

I think the name thing may have to do with who wants who. It started with Punk, and I think if the company wants you, it is a bargaining chip for you. If you want them though, you have no leverage and they may take advantage of that. 

I also agree with Technico though, it's stupid.