DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

2-3 posts in a row mentioned bands and wrestlers, so forgive my confusion as I imagined Chuck D powerbombing a dude through a  table

Flava Flav was born to be a wrestling manager. 

• Like 4

It was both.  It was a double tables match and Terminator X was teaming with Chuck, filling in for Flavor Flav who was in jail again.  Things were looking pretty grim for our boys until the S1Ws did a run-in. 

Bill Goldberg defeated Professor Griff in a grudge match on the undercard.

• Like 4

I'm particularly fond of the WWE's current "Well, I'm not sure how to explain this..eh go ahead and do it anyways" writing style.  

[Inside WWE writers room]

"This whole Undertaker thing has kind of backed us into the corner.  If Undertaker loses, he looks weak losing to a non-wrestler and can't return.  If Shane loses, we can't have him kayfabe run Raw after.  I don't know what to do."
hqdefault.jpg

"Well...okay then."

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, caley said:

I'm particularly fond of the WWE's current "Well, I'm not sure how to explain this..eh go ahead and do it anyways" writing style.  

[Inside WWE writers room]

"This whole Undertaker thing has kind of backed us into the corner.  If Undertaker loses, he looks weak losing to a non-wrestler and can't return.  If Shane loses, we can't have him kayfabe run Raw after.  I don't know what to do."

Yeah, that's what happens when you pull a desperation angle out of your ass, pile on nonsensical stips in a sad attempt to heat it up more, then run it in a vacuum.  You end up just pretending it didn't happen once it's done.

I'm still trying to understand the following:

Why did Shane agree to a match in the first place?  He already had blackmail material on Vince so what leverage did Vince have on him to make him work the match?  That makes zero sense.

Shane: I have something on you, so just hand over Raw or else.

Vince: I'll hand over Raw but first you must wrestle.......The Undertaker! (tm Teddy Long)

Shane: Um, no.  That's not how blackmail works.

There was some sort of intimation in Shane's return promo that he was still in power and was above Triple H and Steph, but that was quickly forgotten about.  WTF?

Why did Undertaker fight for Vince? 

Why, if the company was on the line, did everybody else in the company treat this storyline like it wasn't happening?

Why did the match not have 8-12 run-ins like everybody thought it would?

5 hours ago, Raziel403 said:

Public Enemy doing table spots in front of very few people sums up the lion's share of their career.  It was nostalgic for them there.

What else could they do? It's not like PE could say, "don't worry, we've got plenty of other things we could do in the rain instead."

1 minute ago, Casey said:

The Wyatts were supposed to be involved in the Hell in a Cell match supposedly, but the rumor is that The Rock wanted to do something with them so it got changed.

That makes even less sense.

• Like 1

Well, I mean, it does seem like Undertaker is going back and revisiting feuds he had a year after they happened. 2014 with Lesnar, then feuds with him in the later part of 2015.

But yeah, it doesn't really make any sense but few things do in current day WWE tbh

The part about the Rock specifically wanting to work with them is true... well in so much that all the normal reporters said it.

They definitely had no idea what to do with them after they changed to Brock/Ambrose that's at least for sure

"Watching Grunge Leg-drop New Jack through a press table."

"But you won't talk, won't look, won't think of me
I'm the epitome of public enemy."

Crash TV booking says we can have a Weezer run in.

• Like 6

I just watched the ABC 20/20 piece on pro wrestling, from 1985. Being just a young kid at the time, I don't really remember how wrestling fans reacted to it. But was it pretty much the moment that killed "kayfabe" for everyone? I don't know how fans could argue with anything in the video, especially the demonstration on how to blade,although I'm sure there were lots of folks trying to explain things away. 

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

It was both.  It was a double tables match and Terminator X was teaming with Chuck, filling in for Flavor Flav who was in jail again.  Things were looking pretty grim for our boys until the S1Ws did a run-in. 

Bill Goldberg defeated Professor Griff in a grudge match on the undercard.

Nice callback.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zev said:

"Watching Grunge Leg-drop New Jack through a press table."

"But you won't talk, won't look, won't think of me
I'm the epitome of public enemy."

Crash TV booking says we can have a Weezer run in.

Wow, I remember figuring out the Grunge legdrop part when I was like 17 and having my mind blown that he would be mentioning ECW in a song, but I just NOW got after you posted it that the second part was also about Public Enemy.  Never made that connection after all these years...

• Like 1

So, there's some stuff that happened that's spoilers and really all I'm thinking about is revenge for a March Madness thing but I'm not going to get any more specific and just go HAHAHAHAHAHAHA and if you aren't sure what I'm laughing at you're probably better off ignoring this.