DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

On 4/1/2016 at 2:30 PM, Fallacy! said:

The video of Triple H, Cody and Dustin Rhodes unveiling the new Dusty Rhodes statue yesterday (which I am having trouble embedding at the moment) pretty much encapsulates everything I hate about WWE right now.

Nothing to do with Dusty, but it just strikes me as so ridiculous that we are supposed to view Triple H as this super evil boss on one hand, and on the other hand he's at Axxess getting his name chanted while he unveils a memorial statue for a Hall of Famer. It's just so stupid that we are supposed to pretend these two things exist in alternate universes.

Kayfabe being dead has really, really hurt the business.

Ego is a terrible thing.

On 4/1/2016 at 7:28 PM, TheeReverendAxlFuture said:

That might be sports entertainment, but that ain't wrestling (let alone rasslin'). I don't want to admire someone for playing a role (that's what the aforementioned TV actors are for), I want to see a bigger than life wrestler that lives the gimmick, who can suspend the crowd's disbelief enough to make children cry, women scream, and men get furious. I don't want to admire only his (or her) cleverness or ability in the ring but also his character. I don't want to respect his craft, I want him/her to get my emotions all riled up and bring me to the brink of believing. Peeking behind the curtain makes this harder. The wrestlers being complicit in the unmasking, especially with a crafty winkwinknudgenudge, makes it nearly impossible. Yeah yeah, the good old days, whatever BUT it wasn't always the same thing and I still seek out the instances when it isn't.

they are out there,

RAF

This is why Vince is so great at what he does.  The heelish CEO who knows his role on and off camera is the same.  When he does something nice off camera you think there is a spark of hope inside of his cold heart.

On 4/2/2016 at 11:36 PM, twiztor said:

wake me up when pro wrestlers sports entertainers become good actors.

Batista.

I was ironically enough just listening to Vince Russo's podcast when he talked about when Shaq randomly showed up to a Raw in 98 to meet the wrestlers and Russo asked him to appear on screen. I don't even remember it, but it was Vince McMahon getting pushed around in a wheelchair and he wheeled past Shaq and said "who the hell are you?!" and Russo was like "That was probably a shoot bro, Vince doesn't know a single thing about sports."

Just a reminder for folks that the Smackdown tapings tonight have a skeleton crew due to the international tours (most of the crew is already in Milan)

Not yet, but I mean.. I think this is one where you can certainly draw conclusions. Every report about Balls I've heard in the last few years has had him being pretty rough looking.

Man, that sucks.  I seem to recall he had numerous injuries (mainly oral surgery he needed) that lead to his drug addiction.  Always hoped he'd pull a Jake Roberts and find the help he needed to clean up and get better, but I guess it was like Axl Rotten where he was too far gone and without the resources he needed.

I have so many wrestling videos that it is honestly easier and less messy just to download them from the internet than to actually find the dvd. Sucks because I have a lot of cool stuff but usually can't find it :(. I ended up covered in dust, sore and tired from trying to find one today.

7 hours ago, HumanChessgame said:

"This Shaq guy is getting to be a hot commodity.  I hear they just made one of those fighting video games about him and he was in a superhero movie!  We'd better get him on the show while he's still relevant!"

We'll just get Shaq Funaki out of it. Which, let's face it, isn't the worst thing in the world. 

6 hours ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

Two things to take away from this:

1)  Not sure if it's a plus or a minus that the reporter had no idea who Scott Steiner was.  Minus because Steiner kinda was a pretty big deal for about a decade.  It's a plus because we would have gotten one of those lame "bodyslam" or "piledriver" puns otherwise.

2)  Considering it's a known fact that Scott Steiner loves him some Cracker Barrel, I'm kinda sad he had to settle for the also-ran Shoney's as a substitute ownership. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:
12 hours ago, PetrolCB said:

Meltzer said Vince just saw Blue Chips, so, we're still a few years away. 

I was one of about three people that saw Blue Chips in theaters. 

The out of touch Vinestory I never believed was the one about when Kill Bill part one came out and he wanted to put Tajiri in a stable with Akio and Yung Yang, called The Yakuza because of it. When it was far more likely he'd just watched the Robert Mitchum Yakuza movie from 1974.

• Like 2