DVDVR Message Board

APRIL 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

11 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

Two things to take away from this:

1)  Not sure if it's a plus or a minus that the reporter had no idea who Scott Steiner was.  Minus because Steiner kinda was a pretty big deal for about a decade.  It's a plus because we would have gotten one of those lame "bodyslam" or "piledriver" puns otherwise.

2)  Considering it's a known fact that Scott Steiner loves him some Cracker Barrel, I'm kinda sad he had to settle for the also-ran Shoney's as a substitute ownership. 

I hate that shit. For instance, when you see a fluff piece regarding a charity that WWE is working with and the headline is something stupid like, "WWE lays the SMACKDOWN on breast cancer".

• Like 1

Damn, I had no idea Zack had cancer.  Between him overcoming that and the video overall I can't help but root for the guy.  I doubt he'll be WHC, but I sure hope he has more chances to succeed, he deserves it.

18 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I was one of about three people that saw Blue Chips in theaters. 

I wasn't old enough to see it in theaters, but all the basketball games were filmed in the high school gym in the town I live in, about 5 blocks away from where I'm sitting.  My wife attended one or two of the games, I think her dad was able to get tickets because he ran the Boys and Girls Club and was connected with the school administrators.

Attitude Era Vol. 3 – Unreleased Blu Ray/DVD set:

Spoiler
Disc 1

WWE Live

An Iconic Era

Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Bret “Hit Man” Hart
Germany • April 1996

Undertaker and Mankind Rivalry

The Undertaker vs. Mankind
[Non-Televised] In Your House: Good Friends, Better Enemies • April 28, 1996

WWE Travel

The Undertaker & Bret “Hit Man” Hart vs. Owen Hart & The British Bulldog
Kuwait City, Kuwait • May 12, 1996

GTV – Persian Gulf War

WWE Championship Match
Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Shawn Michaels
Kuwait City, Kuwait • May 12, 1996

Unique MSG Moment

The Ultimate Warrior vs. Owen Hart
Madison Square Garden • May 19, 1996

GTV – Meeting Ultimate Warrior

Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. The Undertaker
Madison Square Garden • August 9, 1996

Retaliation

WWE Championship Match
Shawn Michaels vs. Goldust
[Non-Televised] In Your House: Buried Alive • October 20, 1996

GTV – Goldust?

Shawn Michaels vs. Mankind
[Non-Televised] In Your House: It’s Time • December 15, 1996

DISC 2

Skydome

Triple Threat Match for the WWE Championship
Shawn Michaels vs. Bret “Hit Man” Hart vs. Sycho Sid
[Non-Televised] RAW • February 3, 1997

Chainsaw Charlie Debut

The Nation of Domination vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin, The Undertaker, Cactus Jack & Chainsaw Charlie
[Non-Televised] RAW • December 29, 1997

Superhero vs. Villain

WWE Intercontinental Championship Match
The Rock vs. Ken Shamrock
Anaheim, CA • March 13, 1998

Cactus Jack in the Garden

Falls Count Anywhere Match
Cactus Jack vs. Billy Gunn
Madison Square Garden • March 22, 1998

The Game Steps Up

Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Triple H
Madison Square Garden • March 22, 1998

GTV – Frosted Tips

Triple H vs. The Big Show
Madison Square Garden • June 26, 1999

WWE Expansion

The Dudley Boyz vs. Test & Albert
Wall St, New York City, NY • October 25, 2000

Final Thoughts

GTV – Are We Done?

DISC 3

EXTRAS:

Yokozuna vs. The Sultan
Sun City, South Africa • September 14, 1996

Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Goldust
[Non-Televised] In Your House: It’s Time • December 15, 1996

The Undertaker, Goldust & Ahmed Johnson vs. The Nation of Domination
[Non-Televised] RAW • March 17, 1997

Toronto, ON, Canada • June 14, 1997

Shawn Michaels & Triple H vs. The Legion of Doom
Uniondale, NY • October 24, 1997

Stone Cold Steve Austin & Cactus Jack vs. The Rock & D’Lo Brown
Madison Square Garden • January 10, 1998

Stone Cold Steve Austin, Cactus Jack & Chainsaw Charlie vs. The Rock & The New Age Outlaws
Meadowlands, NJ • February 22, 1998

Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. Triple H
Anaheim, CA • March 13, 1998

Madison Square Garden • June 26, 1999

Hardy Boyz vs. Lo Down
Wall St, New York City, NY • October 25, 2000

BLU-RAY EXCLUSIVES

WWE Championship Match
Shawn Michaels vs. Mankind
Madison Square Garden • January 25, 1997

Triple Threat Match for the WWE Championship
Undertaker vs. Bret “Hit Man” Hart vs. Stone Cold Steve Austin
Anaheim, CA • June 28, 1997

Long Island Street Fight
Dude Love vs. The British Bulldog
Uniondale, NY • October 24, 1997

Ken Shamrock & Owen Hart vs. Faarooq & D’Lo Brown
Meadowlands, NJ • February 22, 1998

Dog Collar Match
Road Dogg vs. Mr. Ass Billy Gunn
Meadowlands, NJ • July 31, 1999

Hell. Yeah.

• Like 2

"Fighting cancer to become a WWE wrestler and win a fake belt.  What a mark" - something Meltzer would say

Dave is becoming more and more Alvarez every day.  It is pro wrestling sheets version of all the ESPN people trying to "embrace debate" and using the worst example

12 minutes ago, Charlie M. said:

I didn't hear it but I can see the comparison of fans rejecting them as babyfaces and turning them heel being the best thing for their careers.

The problem though, is that fans of American pro wrestling just seem to be too snarky and too obsessed with being "cool smarks" for even that to work for Roman Reigns like it did for Rush and Naito. 

In Mexico or Japan, if the fans really aren't feeling a top babyface, there is the inherent chance that turning them heel could make them level up and become a star. By contrast, in America and similarly rejected babyfaces (more notable when it was John Cena, but partially seen with Reigns afterwards), there always seems to be that undercurrent of "Turn this guy heel so that I can finally cheer him and still keep my smark cred! I want to cheer him for how good he is, but if I do I'll instantly be seen as just another stupid mark!"

15 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

1)  Not sure if it's a plus or a minus that the reporter had no idea who Scott Steiner was.  Minus because Steiner kinda was a pretty big deal for about a decade.  It's a plus because we would have gotten one of those lame "bodyslam" or "piledriver" puns otherwise.

2)  Considering it's a known fact that Scott Steiner loves him some Cracker Barrel, I'm kinda sad he had to settle for the also-ran Shoney's as a substitute ownership. 

Thought it was Lance Storm who was really into the Cracker Barrel.

15 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

The CEO is a friend of Steiner's.

And I wouldn't call Shoney's an also-ran to the Cracker Barrel.  I haven't eaten at one in a long time but I remember it being way superior.  And Shoney Bear is my homeboy.  He sent me birthday cards good for a free kid's dessert until I was like 25.

• Like 4

The show report PWI has said it happened 2 minutes into the match and they just had to throw the match out

The "made up" for it by having a giant brawl involving Strowman, Rowan, Usos, Reigns and Sheamus

2 hours ago, SorceressKnight said:

In Mexico or Japan, if the fans really aren't feeling a top babyface, there is the inherent chance that turning them heel could make them level up and become a star. By contrast, in America and similarly rejected babyfaces (more notable when it was John Cena, but partially seen with Reigns afterwards), there always seems to be that undercurrent of "Turn this guy heel so that I can finally cheer him and still keep my smark cred! I want to cheer him for how good he is, but if I do I'll instantly be seen as just another stupid mark!"

This has come up a few times, but has it ever actually happened? I can't think of a single example where a babyface getting boo'd instantly got cheered upon turning heel. The closest I can think of is the Rock, and he went from "face who gets boo'd" to "heel who gets boo'd" to "heel who gets cheered."

I can, however, think of heels who were getting cheers who got turned into bland babyfaces nobody cared about