DVDVR Message Board

Full Gear V - 11/18/2023

Dolfan in NYC

I truly believe MJF is a curse. He’s the Madden cover of wrestling. Everyone he feuds with bad things happen to.

Cody - leaves AEW and tears boob. Also, neck tattoo.

Jericho - Pulmonary Embolism

CM Punk - stuff happened

Wardlow - selfish money grab ruins him and he loses on confidence and Powerbomb ability

Sammy Guevara - Spirals out of control and leads Kingston to become suspended. He was never forgiven

Bryan Danielson - injuries

Jungle Boy - gets suspended and is single handily responsible for CM Punk leaving

Darby Allin - wants to climb a mountain like a rich tourist. Loses all edge

Jon Moxley - betrayed by Regal and now bleeds every day

Adam Cole - super everyday injury

I pray every day to protect Jay White and Samoa Joe. But my prayers will fall on deaf Burberry ears.

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

22 hours ago, Octopus said:

MJF cried in media scrum as a super in pain babyface. Dedicated this match to his grandpa who believed in him that passed away three years ago today. He’s crying a lot and in pain. Wow. 

I'm still catching up on this thread but this had me tearing up.  For the longest time it was Max refusing to be anything other than hated scumbag MJF and at first he would let little pieces of himself show up (the Punk feud had a few gems)  But what's making his face run special to me is how vulnerable he's letting himself be while still portraying a scumbag that people actually love.  It can be a delicate balance but he's nailing it.  I'm just hoping he gets help if he feels he needs it and has a good support system around him.

Since you mentioned this MJF's first on this scrum and I can't recommend this enough.

• Like 1

I feel like the thing that needs to be acknowledged the most in the main was MJF's ballsy-ass, all-time botch-recovery. That weak table could've easily ground the match to a halt as that was clearly one of the biggest planned spots. However, MJF didn't miss a beat and just went to the top did the elbow straight to the floor. Makes perfect kayfabe sense and he had about 5 seconds to figure out to best land for a much more dangerous version of the planned spot. Amazing stuff under pressure from MJF that shows why he is one of the best going today.

Overall, I wasn't crazy about the sports entertainment style main at first, but by the end, I had to admit they pulled it off well and it felt different at least, if not bigger, than the rest of the card. Adam Cole played his part very well, blurring the lines of whether he was the devil trying to throw the match or if he was the most genuinely virtuous-to-the-point-of-incompetence babyface friend of all time. One could argue the devil should've thrown in the towel or that true friend would've taken the match with Jay and immediately whacked him with a crutch, but I think they generally did the nuance very well. I don't think Jay comes out looking all that bad. His role here was ultimately to be a heater for MJF, and they ultimately had a great back-and-forth moves-y match, they just got there in a different way. MJF out-cheated him at the end, and Jay can easily rebound with a good Continental Classic showing or any other number of feuds.

You knew Swerve/Hangman was gonna be off the charts when Page was literally drinking Swerve's blood and Swerve was walking through staple gun shots to the chest like the T-1000 in the first 5 minutes. Crazy shit where both guys came out looking good.

The rest of the card was solid and all the right people went over. At first I was a little disappointed with no devil reveal, but thinking about it later, I admire the restraint. Much better to let the story play out than rush "a moment" just because it's a ppv.

• Like 3

It was a solid show.  A bit overbooked, but the right people went over.  My only serious complaint is that I feel that Kingston has come way too far to be the curtain jerker. I'd have warmed the crowd up with Strickland / Page or the Tag-Team battle royale.

I love MJF, but sooner or later they are going to have to put the belt on a guy like Jay White or Will Osprey.  The upper card and main event potential is ridiculously top heavy.  Lots of dudes in AEW with international pedigree that are championship caliber.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Great article Matt, I don't think you're reading too much into things and you were spot on with most of what you wrote. That being said, I loved Swerve vs Hangman and hated MJF vs Jay White (the shape of the angle as a whole rather than the match itself) with a passion. Ultimately, I will always hate a Hogan, a Rock or a Cena as a character and plot device, even when I can appreciate the performer. I just can't buy an underdog story when the people telling it have failed to convince me that Earthquake/Wade Barrett/Jay White have the slightest shadow of a chance to win.

Every element of this feud, from the belt hijacking, to the Samoa Joe and other challengers waiting in the wings, to the insulting ambulance angle on the pre show, guaranteed that Jay White could not win the title without going deep into the kind of Russo territory that they always avoid, so I found it impossible to get into.

MJF has done a great job of making the crowd pandering touches work in the context of the match and his character, even the Kangaroo Kick is always hit at a logical point in the match and looks like a solidly connecting dropkick variant that hurts. But he's still playing a variant of the dominant WWE Champion, I still spend every title defence waiting for the run ins, and I really hoped AEW could be a refuge from that, especially in the main events.

• Like 6

16 hours ago, tbarrie said:

I'm not a mod, but I can't imagine expressing anger at a booking decision is enough to get you a time out. Maybe don't actually kick Tony Khan in the nuts, though, should you ever have the opportunity.

Trust me, if you could get in trouble for that here, I’d be on death row…

• Haha 6

Yeah, hell of a PPV, here! Zero Hour was also very good, obviously very excited to get Claudio vs Matthews.

Need to watch ladder match and women's three way again, as I missed parts due to nodding off.

Texas Death Match sure lived up to expectations. I had a feeling Swerve would win, since Page kinda already got his revenge before, and got his pound of flesh for sure here as well.

I was glad that the Bucks v Jets tag didn't try to follow that by upping the crazy violence. It was what it needed to be and got good by the end. Surprised that Jericho and Kenny actually won.

I liked how the main event was also very story-heavy, while still having some crazy spots. I can see how this may look bad for Jay White, but the guy has been protected so far, if one loss undoes all that, well, OK then.

If Roddy was as good a friend to Adaaaam he claims he is, wouldn't he have tried to stop Cole from trying to compete injured and risk further injury, because that would be a really stupid thing to do? Yet, he's nowhere to be seen!

Oh, and Will Ospreay signing now was a relief, so I don't have to worry he will choose WWE instead. Does anyone know if Ospreay's current theme is available on Spotify? I need it for my gym playlist!

...nevemind! It's "Elevated" by It Lives It Breathes

Edited by Shartnado
Yay for Ospreay!
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shartnado said:

If Roddy was as good a friend to Adaaaam he claims he is, wouldn't he have tried to stop Cole from trying to compete injured and risk further injury, because that would be a really stupid thing to do? Yet, he's nowhere to be seen!

Roddy had a close call on Colli-page on Friday so he’s probably in a hyperbaric chamber getting his body healed

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cobra Commander said:

Roddy had a close call on Colli-page on Friday so he’s probably in a hyperbaric chamber getting his body healed

Yeah, I was going to add something about him being "this close" to finding out why you shouldn't "cry wolf", because Roddy obviously doesn't need the wheelchair and I'm even starting to have my doubts about the neck brace! That shit is just tempting fate, Roddy!

14 hours ago, Peck said:

I think we're burying the lede here....  a fucking TWO HOUR AND TWENTY MINUTE media scrum??  What is this, a Coppola film? 

Most of the scrum is admittedly a fluff piece for many.  But there is some gold in there if you have the time.  I tend to put it on since by then my friends are gone and I'm working on settling down before I fall asleep (which yes for the length of time means I finish this the next day)  The scrum from I believe All Out had Swerve talking about why he does all that he does and it made me quite a fan of his compared to just liking him from before.  It also had a sweet moment from Shibata who told TK if he could work in AEW forever he would.  So there's some good stuff to find there.

As for the show it was a pretty fun one though lots of the matches I missed due to hosting our little watch party.  I did especially love the deathmatch and in particular everybody's reaction.  My wife was flipping out over how gross the drinking blood spot was others were really into it.  From a purely sanitary/health standpoint I hope to never see it again but for one time only it was unique and memorable.  I'm very happy that Swerve decidedly won the feud and don't worry one bit about Hangman.  I don't want to say he's bulletproof yet he's pretty darn close to it.  The main was sports entertainment nonsense but had some fun moments.  It's been talked to death at this point so instead I'll just lastly mention how happy I am to see Toni and especially Julia win gold.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

I feel like the thing that needs to be acknowledged the most in the main was MJF's ballsy-ass, all-time botch-recovery. That weak table could've easily ground the match to a halt as that was clearly one of the biggest planned spots. However, MJF didn't miss a beat and just went to the top did the elbow straight to the floor. Makes perfect kayfabe sense and he had about 5 seconds to figure out to best land for a much more dangerous version of the planned spot. Amazing stuff under pressure from MJF that shows why he is one of the best going today.

I like how you put this. At that point, he's got to be aware of how much time that's left in the match, and come to a decision of "...it's worth the risk" without the audience really seeing those gears turning. It's even more impressive when he basically doubles down by doing something similar if not potentially worse by going over the top with that cutter a short while later. Dude was committed if nothing else.

And honestly, it's really interesting how much of this match lined up with the video he did with Beau Hightower that was released right before the PPV(already posted by someone else in the monthly thread). In the video he talks about his left knee always giving him problems, and that's the one that got worked over leading to the injury angle. Also in the video, MJF expressed one of his major pet peeves in wrestling being fans thinking they understand the pain wrestlers go through...and then goes and does two spots in the match where he took very obvious hard landings that would lead most anybody to conclude that he'd be in a world of pain the next day (and I'm just now seeing he's apparently legit injured), even if they/we can't truly feel what it's like.

• Like 1

The best thing about the blood drinking spot may be how everyone could repeat it, but they wouldn't, because who at a GCW show or other organization not up to the cash and standards level of AEW wants to risk drinking the blood of their opponent? Swerve and Hangman probably had to take twenty different tests. Are you gonna risk a pinky swear from Ian Rotten that your opponent doesn't have all the kinds of Hepatitis? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

The best thing about the blood drinking spot may be how everyone could repeat it, but they wouldn't, because who at a GCW show or other organization not up to the cash and standards level of AEW wants to risk drinking the blood of their opponent? Swerve and Hangman probably had to take twenty different tests. Are you gonna risk a pinky swear from Ian Rotten that your opponent doesn't have all the kinds of Hepatitis? 

You mean I can't trust the unimpeachable word of Joseph Janella?

Edited by Raziel
  • Haha 1

Convinced that the orginal plan was for White to get the title way back when. But the Max face turn with the Cole story line was so strong, and it was changed.  With Ospreay now, and White, plus the other pillars - suspect the title comes off Max in December but the storyline is still got gas. 

I think the original plan was for Punk to lose this way to MJF to end the X belt story, Punk got fired, Jay got slotted into Punk's place, but Jay can't afford to lose this way while Punk could.

Hopefully there's a good Kiwi rehab center near Jacksonville.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

In ROH back in 2007 Jimmy Jacobs hung Jay Briscoe upside down while he was gushing blood and cut a promo while standing under him and swallowing his blood at one point. It was a good deal more graphic than what happened here, though I'd think ROH had some level of health codes in place. 

• Like 1