DVDVR Message Board

Full Gear V - 11/18/2023

Dolfan in NYC

Pasadena where you at?
Yeah, Inglewood
Inglewood always up to no good

Live from the Forum in Inglewood, Cali.... it's Full Gear!

THE CARD~!

FOR THE AEW CHAMPIONSHIP - MJF (c) vs. Switchblade Jay White

FOR THE AEW WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP - Hikaru Shida (c) vs. Timeless Toni Storm

** FOR THE ROH TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - MJF / Mystery Partner (c) vs. The Gunns (Colten / Austin)

FOR THE AEW INTERNATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP - Orange Cassidy (c) vs. Jon Moxley

THREE-WAY MATCH FOR THE TBS CHAMPIONSHIP - Kris Statlander (c) vs. Julia Hart vs. Red Velvet OR Skye Blue

FOUR-WAY MATCH FOR THE AEW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP - Ricky Starks & Big Bill (c) vs. La Facción Ingobernable (Rush / Dralístico) vs. FTR (Wheeler / Harwood) vs. Kings of the Black Throne (Black / King)

Sting / Darby Allin / Adam Copeland vs. Christian Cage / Luchasaurus / Nick Wayne

"Hangman" Adam Page vs. Swerve Strickland

*** The Golden Jets (Omega / Jericho) vs. The Young Bucks (M. Jackson / N. Jackson)

--

** - Match will be on Zero Hour pre-show.   AEW has confirmed MJF will have a partner for his title match against the Gunns.

*** - If the Bucks win, the Golden Jets must disband.  If the Jets win, they get the Bucks' AEW Tag Team Championship shot. 

Imagine regular driving in Inglewood (and sometimes driving on Rosecrans!)

I will be in the house for this one and the Rampage/Collision the prior night. That week's Dynamite is in prime Bucks country (Onatrio, CA out in San Bernadino County) so I hope they stay out there and I get the people I like

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 11:41 PM, The Natural said:

Unless this gets really good WOM here, think I'm skipping AEW Full Gear. MJF/Jay White is the match I want to see the most.

I've gotta tell ya, I think OC/Mox and Shida/Toni are the matches selling me on this show most, but outside those and the big trios match, it's not a card that's really speaking to me (at least not yet) - that said, let me show a little self awareness:  it feels like I've probably reposted this same thing before every PPV since FD in June, and they've all ended up being great for the most part (even All Out, which surprised the shit out of me just a week after Wembley - if I did this sort of thing, Hobbs/Miro would still be a MOTY contender for me with a month left to go in the year). TV is TV but these guys don't miss on PPV. Plus, it's finally back on a Saturday! Pretty much have to order based on that alone - I haven't been able to make PPV margaritas since Revolution dammit!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I've gotta tell ya, I think OC/Mox and Shida/Toni are the matches selling me on this show most, but outside those and the big trios match, it's not a card that's really speaking to me (at least not yet) - that said, let me show a little self awareness:  it feels like I've probably reposted this same thing before every PPV since FD in June, and they've all ended up being great for the most part (even All Out, which surprised the shit out of me just a week after Wembley - if I did this sort of thing, Hobbs/Miro would still be a MOTY contender for me with a month left to go in the year). TV is TV but these guys don't miss on PPV. Plus, it's finally back on a Saturday! Pretty much have to order based on that alone - I haven't been able to make PPV margaritas since Revolution dammit!

OC/Mox and Shida/Toni after MJF/White are the matches I want to see the most.

I passed on Double or Nothing 2023 and I was going to do the same for All Out 2023 till the great WOM here. As it stands it'll be the second.

Good spot on a Saturday show so it'll be in the early hours of Sunday morning which is preferable. The start times are insane over here.

• WWE RAW. 1am till 4:15am Tuesday morning.
  • WWE NXT. 1am till 3am Wednesday morning.
  • WWE Smackdown. 1am till 3am Saturday morning.
  • WWE PPV. 1am till 4am Sunday morning or Monday morning.
  • AEW Dynamite. 1am till 3am Thursday morning.
  • AEW Rampage. 3am till 4am Saturday morning.
  • AEW Collison. 1am till 3am Sunday morning.
  • AEW PPV. 1am till 5am Sunday morning or Monday morning.
  • UFC PPV Prelims. 1am till 3am Sunday morning.
  • UFC PPV Main Card. 3am till 6am. Sunday morning.
  • Like 2

Based on last week's TV, I think there's a decent chance we get Golden Jets/Young Bucks, HOB/FTR, and Miro/Andrade. I wouldn't be surprised if Penta takes that AAA belt off QT on the preshow either.

I'd be surprised if the TBS title is left off the show, and a Stat/Willow/Julia/Skye 4-way seems reasonable.

Oh and MJF's mystery partner has to be Caster, right? Fills the comedy niche left by Cole and and should balance whatever the serious angle is with the devil payoff.

Edited by Go2Sleep
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Go2Sleep said:

Oh and MJF's mystery partner has to be Caster, right? Fills the comedy niche left by Cole and and should balance whatever the serious angle is with the devil payoff.

I like it. This probably makes more sense narratively than any other path available that doesn't involve something unforeseen, like a surprise debut/return or something.

Adding to your point, I could also see a scenario where we get something like:

1) Caster/MJF agree to team, but come up short - we then sow seeds of dissension with Bowens and Ass because they think he values MJF more than their own team/their Trios belts

2) Caster/MJF agree to team, but Caster is taken out before the match by either one of the Kingdom guys, or the yet-to-be-unmasked Devil - Roderick Strong comes down as a last second replacement-replacement, and drops the fall to the other team, costing MJF/Cole the ROH belts; I could also see an idea here for Strong to lay down intentionally to cost MJF/Cole the titles, but the crowd may crap on it if they get a non-match match (though if that's the way they go, I think both putting this on the preshow, and having them get to see MJF later vs Switchblade anyway, might mitigate the reaction somewhat).

Edit: I just thought of a possible option 3 - how's Kyle O'Rly's neck looking these days?

Edited by Zakk_Sabbath
  • Like 2

I think angle #1 plays better if Max&Max retain. It's not like any ROH belt really means much right now, and having 2 guys named Max with belts has to be good brand synergy if nothing else.

Angle #2, but it's Wardlow who kills Caster.

There's a lot of different ways they can go, and I think it comes down to how long AAAADAM has to be off TV. If his 9-month time frame is legit, getting a couple months of comedy out of MJF/Acclaimed isn't a bad way to kill some time. If he can get back sooner, then you unload the heavy stuff.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Go2Sleep said:

think angle #1 plays better if Max&Max retain. It's not like any ROH belt really means much right now, and having 2 guys named Max with belts has to be good brand synergy if nothing el

Actually, yeah - great point. You get more mileage out of it that way (which as you alluded to, is kinda crucial with Cole's injury) -

Not to waste time/server space with fantasy nonsense, but just as an example:

you could stretch one story beat over an entire week (or more): Let's say Max/Max have an ROH title defense scheduled for Saturday Collision, and The Acclaimed have a Trios defense on Friday Rampage - you could spend the entirety of Wednesday Dynamite that week on the accusations that Caster is taking the ROH tag titles more seriously than the Trios titles, spending more time outside the buildings w Max as opposed to Billy/Anthony, etc.

I won't lie, it's really difficult sometimes to think about where we're going with angles as versus where I personally would want us to go, because there are very few ideas I have that don't start with tossing every ROH title right in the trash - in fact, I'd probably get all meta with it and give Jim Duggan a payday to do a vignette where he drags em to the curb.

52 minutes ago, zendragon said:

In a shocking surprise to no one Tony Khan has a MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT for the PPV

I truly hope TK's going to answer my question of Where's Dolph Ziggler?

Or that he's signing the best in the world (Shane McMahon).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I thought that the announcement was supposed to be at Full Gear.  At they are supposed to sign the contract at Full Gear.  I can't imagine that they would announce yesterday that Ibushi is in AEW and then do a contract signing at the PPV for some dumb reason 

• Like 1