DVDVR Message Board

AEW R-EVOLUTION IV - 3/5/2023

Dolfan in NYC

I've watched now until the end of Wardlow-Joe and so far everything has had the correct ending, the correct way! Opener wasn't amazing, or anything but Starks got a decisive clean win and Andretti didn't turn! This may be the year Jericho should stop doing the Lion-sault! That was very close to landing on his face, if not quite on top of his head, luckily. Just quit while you are ahead, man! You proved yourself in ring-wise last year. It's ok to change your moveset a little. Do a springboard elbow drop, or something?

Jungle Boy buried Christian and it got emotional by the end. A bit shame that the feud dragged this long due to the injury, but now it's settled, finally. Christian is still a dick!

The Trios title was amazing. And while it looked bleak there for a minute, House of Black did pull it off. Too bad the excanges between Omega and Matthews never got to go full tilt, but plenty of other pairings (and bigger groupings) sure did!

The 3-way women's match was all action and I liked it a lot. Yeah, Ruby lost, yet again and I guess she decided "that's it, I need to do something different!" Willow will have an issue with this, I'm sure!

Yeah, there was a moderate amount of violence exhibited in the Texas Death Match. Jesus Christ! Mox putting Page over that strong sure is a statement! Now that was a blow-off to a feud! Top F'n Notch!!!

Wardlow vs Joe had a tough spot having to follow that, but it was different and instead of Joe putting Wardlow away with some powerbombs, Wardlow choked the MF'r out! That was surprising. I wouldn't be surprised if Hobbs takes the title on Dynamite, though. They should not mess with Wardlow anymore, but it's really not like the TNT-title does that much for him. Hobbs would benefit from it much more at this stage.

I'll edit the rest in, once I get to see it. So far, not life-changing, but really solid nonetheless!

• Like 1

I wonder how many people now complaining (probably rightfully so) about the drink-throwing also cheered Chuck Taylor's child-scaring tactics in the past. At least this kid got backstage stuff out of the deal; I'm positive none of the kids Chuck terrorized did. Chuck never got physical (that I know of), but I'm sure being menaced by a guy three times your size is still traumatizing for a child. 

Okay, so Xfinity came back on, but I was already trying to sleep by midnight. I watched a couple matches off the show today. 

Starks/Jericho was very good, with some solid DDP-injured-ribs work. Loved the block of the elbow. Ricky deeply needed to win this and Jericho deeply needed to lose. I hope he acts super petulant and childish on Wednesday. 

Skipped the six man

Skipped the women's (sorry, I'll come back to you) but I gotta say Ruby as a heel will be fun because she takes a great asskicking

Well of course I loved the TEXAS DEATH MATCH. For getting stabbed in the head with a fork like 20 times Hanger still wasn't bleeding much, but I bet both men's backs and arms look like shit today. They really did some good work on spots, placement of gimmicks, use of gimmicks, and innovation thereof. The Shield throwback with the stomp on the bricks, for example. Something would be set up outside, like the board on the single chair, you'd forget about it and then it'd come out of nowhere. Very intelligently laid out match. And of course both guys (Page included now) are bloodsucking freaks so there's that. I also gotta give a holler to the tap instead of a pass-out, that put an exclamation point on the win. 

Smo Joe vs. Wardlow was perfectly fine even if the crowd wasn't that into it. I'll even give credit to the finish being original/different, even though again the crowd wasn't digging it. As good a face as Wardlow can be and a heel Hobbs can be, those positions definitely need to be reversed here. 

Gotta work so I'll come back to the rest after. (One last thing: that kid could have been autistic and then people REALLY would be throwing a shit-fit)

• Like 4

1 minute ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I know I'm crazy for calling for it and it'd be too much of a good thing but: Run Aubrey vs Jarrett and put Aubrey over in whatever would be the most humiliating manner for Jeff. 

Save that stuff for the PNW loop, buddy.

I will say that I'm excited for new feuds now.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I know I'm crazy for calling for it and it'd be too much of a good thing but: Run Aubrey vs Jarrett and put Aubrey over in whatever would be the most humiliating manner for Jeff. 

Woud it involve Jeff holding up TK for money before he did it? #goodhousekeeping

Understandably everyone has their preferences but does loving the Iron Man match have to mean you can't like what the Trios Title Matches are supposed to accomplish? To me, both matches accomplished what they set out to do and they both delivered in every aspect. It's like comparing different genre of film. Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a classic.  Saving Private Ryan is also a classic. What Bryan and MJF did is more my bag but I can appreciate the spectacle of The Elite vs. House of Black. 

• Thanks 4

6 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Understandably everyone has their preferences but does loving the Iron Man match have to mean you can't like what the Trios Title Matches are supposed to accomplish? To me, both matches accomplished what they set out to do and they both delivered in every aspect. It's like comparing different genre of film. Texas Chainsaw Massacre is a classic.  Saving Private Ryan is also a classic. What Bryan and MJF did is more my bag but I can appreciate the spectacle of The Elite vs. House of Black. 

I loved them both, maybe I'm just built different.

• Like 2

Very glad House of Black won the Trios titles. That's what needed to happen. But what I would like next is for them to do more creepy cult stuff on TV.

I don't know what you do to reignite Wardlow now. I'd almost be OK with hot-shotting the belt to Hobbs right now.

A lot of people complained when The Gunns won the titles, but I think it's good they have the belts right now. They are good chickenshit heels, and they are a good team to have a babyface team chase for the titles. I think they can have a fun feud with FTR.

I think next step for Jungle Boy is winning the all-Atlantic title.

Edited by TheVileOne
  • Like 3

I haven't seen enough from around the world so I'll limit this to the U.S.  Bryan Danielson is the best U.S. based wrestler since 2000, I don't think there's much debate there but if we say he's #1,  who do you all have as #2 or do you have a different #1..  It's ridiculous that he's been putting on classics since I was a teenager and is still doing it and doesn't appear to be slowing down anytime soon.  Hats off to Bryan, he's such a joy to watch, we are lucky to have him. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I haven't seen enough from around the world so I'll limit this to the U.S.  Bryan Danielson is the best U.S. based wrestler since 2000, I don't think there's much debate there but if we say he's #1,  who do you all have as #2 or do you have a different #1..  It's ridiculous that he's been putting on classics since I was a teenager and is still doing it and doesn't appear to be slowing down anytime soon.  Hats off to Bryan, he's such a joy to watch, we are lucky to have him. 

Kenny Omega.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Greggulator said:

But man if I was a kid and a heel champion threw tequila in my face I would be celebrating that as the best moment of my life.

I agree. Jim Cornette calling me an idiot at Wrath of the Racket was one of the best moments of my career.

• Like 2

As much of a problem I have with Page's structuring of matches, I do think he's a unique character that can appeal to the modern fan in unique ways. He speaks to our times, lives and breathes our anxieties. He can be a man of the people for the 2020s. They should never, ever leave those possibilities on the table. As such, I think they absolutely blew this match. I was watching, watching all the barbed wire, the tables, the fork, the bricks, the chain, and the last thing I wanted to see was Page out-toxic masculinity Mox. He already beat him once, came close to outfighting him a second time. And that's exactly how he won, by being "more of a man." And I kind of hated it.

Hangman Page is the only guy in the world who could have found some other way to beat Moxley, that could have found some way to draw deep inside himself and kill him with kindness. It would have been so much better and so much truer to who Hangman Page is and could be and to the fanbase and all of you lovable jerks for them to beat each other all over the ring and Page to just let him go, to pull him side, to tell him that he forgave Moxley and that Moxley needs to forgive himself too, to give him a big hug, and for Moxley to just lay down, eyes shut, for ten seconds, finally at peace, a peace that only an anxious millennial cowboy could help him find.

Or you know, he can just hang him with a chain. Whatever.

@Octopus, back me up here.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 6

33 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

What do we need to do to get a Dragon/Chad Gable match?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Curt McGirt said:

Well of course I loved the TEXAS DEATH MATCH. For getting stabbed in the head with a fork like 20 times Hanger still wasn't bleeding much, but I bet both men's backs and arms look like shit today.

Hanger has amazing clotting factors. He always gets a good coat initially but it stops after a few minutes. There was one of the Danielson matches where he bled and kept bleeding, so whatever he did then he needs to go back to. Double up on the aspirin, kid 

46 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

I haven't seen enough from around the world so I'll limit this to the U.S.  Bryan Danielson is the best U.S. based wrestler since 2000, I don't think there's much debate there but if we say he's #1,  who do you all have as #2 or do you have a different #1...

If we're looking at this as a workrate thing where you have to have been working for a majority of those 23 years, my gut says the concensus would be AJ Styles. Just by virtue of resume, working everywhere, never taking a year off and always being near the top of the card + being an internet-accepted Workrate Master. He's not who I'd name but I'd bet on him.

Kevin and Sami broke out in 2004 and figure into this discussion more than you'd immediately think. Kenny Omega obviously, but "US based" is a stretch. The 90's stars that hung around the longest gets tricky this deep into the decade, although Jericho's a fine candidate. Samoa Joe as a dark horse?

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 3

Is Styles an internet-accepted Workrate Master? Did being in Japan change his reputation? Because for the longest time the internet called him a flippy guy with no psychololgy. 

25 minutes ago, Matt D said:

As much of a problem I have with Page's structuring of matches, I do think he's a unique character that can appeal to the modern fan in unique ways. He speaks to our times, lives and breathes our anxieties. He can be a man of the people for the 2020s. They should never, ever leave those possibilities on the table. As such, I think they absolutely blew this match. I was watching, watching all the barbed wire, the tables, the fork, the bricks, the chain, and the last thing I wanted to see was Page out-toxic masculinity Mox. He already beat him once, came close to outfighting him a second time. And that's exactly how he won, by being "more of a man." And I kind of hated it.

Hangman Page is the only guy in the world who could have found some other way to beat Moxley, that could have found some way to draw deep inside himself and kill him with kindness. It would have been so much better and so much truer to who Hangman Page is and could be and to the fanbase and all of you lovable jerks for them to beat each other all over the ring and Page to just let him go, to pull him side, to tell him that he forgave Moxley and that Moxley needs to forgive himself too, to give him a big hug, and for Moxley to just lay down, eyes shut, for ten seconds, finally at peace, a peace that only an anxious millennial cowboy could help him find.

Or you know, he can just hang him with a chain. Whatever.

@Octopus, back me up here.

This is interesting to think about, but to me the storyline has always been about Mox gleefully trying to drag Page down to his level because he hated how Page tried to put himself as above it. And now we're going to get Page having to reckon with what he's done.

• Like 6