DVDVR Message Board

AEW R-EVOLUTION IV - 3/5/2023

Dolfan in NYC

I'm catching up.  The HOB/Elite match reminds me of the Young Bucks versus Kevin Steen/Super Dragon street fight where the Bucks got beaten into my heart.  Brodie King is so fucking awesome.  Saraya looked great.  I loved the Ruby Soho heel turn.  Jamie Hayter is so fucking awesome.  OUTLAWS~!

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Log said:

I'm mostly mad at MJF for doing that because now I have to read all this pearl clutching for a week.

It was a shitty thing to do. Yes. But the kid got to have a great experience afterwards and it's not like he was physically injured or anything.

Like I said, I'm sure MJF has been told that under no circumstances is he allowed to do anything like that again.

Lmao speaking of adult children. Do you use terms like "pearl clutching" around your kid Mr. Badass?

• Haha 1

Pearl clutching? Really? Again, throwing a drink at someone is assault. The company shouldn't have to bend over backwards to make it right with people because that shit shouldn't happen in the first place. And how many times do people have to keep making the excuse for MJF to never do something again? By the time he's 30 he's going to have nothing left to do because he'll have been told so many times to never do something again.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Reading that Amanda Huber was the one out there trying to make things right with the kid makes me hope she's well financially compensated for whatever other backstage roles she has. Being called upon to be the adult in a situation involving adults behaving like children is the worst. 

It sounds like she does a lot of the charity and fan goodwill stuff. 

5 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I’m gonna pretend that they had a plant ready for that spot and that MJF tossed tequila into the eyes of the wrong kid

Negative One missed his mark? 

• Like 2

Page's entrance looks so, so much better IRL: 

versus 

https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1632569791914336256

(The link could not be embedded because twitter.com does not allow embedding of that tweet.)

I did some theatre a while ago, so I'll offer these critiques, with more to follow -- instead of COW BOY SHT, it should say HANG MAN PAGE, and it might look better with one horse moving across screens, rather than three in their own loops. 

But those are tiny nits to pick. This was great - I buy a guy with THIS entrance coming down to challenge the Bloodline. Not so much the previous ecstasy of gold ripoff. 

Edited by Iron Moose
  • Like 2

If it was a plant, it was unnecessary.  I mean, in the build up promos MJF admitted covering up manslaughter, you really didn't need something else to show he could go lower.  

Tony doesn't have the balls, but he should be on last warning.  He does something else like that, job him to Page in 20 seconds than sit him at home for the rest of his deal.

• Like 2

I think it was an in the moment dumb decision. He got talked to after and I doubt we’ll see it again. Hopefully the kid got a bunch of really cool stuff and even to chop Max while the Dark Order holds his arms back.

• Like 1

Wrestling in general needs to be more careful about using kids as props, not that it happens much. I remember at a ROH show I went to when Oedo Tai was there, and they grabbed a kid from the crowd and used him to "help" in a spot they were doing. Harmless stuff on paper, but apparently the kid was the quiet/reserved type and was scared/upset by it, to the point of crying and looking pretty terrified. I think they cut it from the broadcast. It probably sounded like fun when they were talking over the match, but you just never know with kids and its best to leave them be. MJF jawing with the guy in the front row is a smarter/easier way to get the point across he is a heel without having physical contact.

• Like 4

Brody King's an all-time beast. Love that his finisher was the killer, ultimately, in a very, very good trios match. 

Mox/Hangman lived up to the hype and Danielson/MJF exceeded it by some measure. I love Max, love his schtick. Hasn't worn off on me yet. Everything else was at least pretty fuckin good. Loved the pacing, as others have said. 

It's insane how good Jarrett has been in his role. Just pitch perfect. Glad FTR seem to be sticking around. The Acclaimed are fine without the belts and will only cool off once the half-life of how funny people find the phrase "Scissor Me Daddy Ass" has run its course. AEW has easily the best tag division on the planet. Makes me feel for The Best Friends and Silver/Reynolds who both deserve runs on top. 

No complaints about anything, honestly, except that we are back to square one with the TNT title and the time to pull the trigger on Hobbs was yesterday. Maybe give him the All-Atlantic? Feed OC to MJF in a ladder match or something? Who knows! 

• Like 4

What percentage of the Peacock audience would get the reference if Cody/Roman has Roman picking up a fan’s drink, only for Cody to come from behind to stop Roman from splashing anybody and grabbing the cup to splash it in Roman’s eyes.

(percentage might drop when you consider that there’s almost a month until Wrestlemania)

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Lmao speaking of adult children. Do you use terms like "pearl clutching" around your kid Mr. Badass?

Sometimes.

It's just that something like this happens where some people think a promotion has crossed the line and we get a week of everyone rushing to say how bad it is and how this should happen and blah blah blah.

I don't think it's cool that MJF did that to that kid. Like I said in my original post, I would not be happy if it was my kid. The incident did happen, and it appears that they did everything they could to make it right or as close to right as possible.

I actually agree with you all about MJF. I think he crosses the line too often, and not in particularly imaginative or interesting ways. I think he made a terrible decision in that moment, and I'm sure it'll be handled by management.

I get why the kid was upset. But man if I was a kid and a heel champion threw tequila in my face I would be celebrating that as the best moment of my life.

It was wrong for Max to do that. But I always rooted for the heels and am raising my son to do the same. 

Edited by Greggulator
  • Like 6

Like with all things, context matters. How old was the kid? Why did MJF pick that kid in particular? Was there an interaction between them before the drink was thrown?

I don't remember all this hubbub when Sasha was messing with Izzy. Most people thought that was the coolest shit ever actually (and yes, I realise on paper that MJF went further).

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Yo-Yo's Roomie said:

Like with all things, context matters. How old was the kid? Why did MJF pick that kid in particular? Was there an interaction between them before the drink was thrown?

I don't remember all this hubbub when Sasha was messing with Izzy. Most people thought that was the coolest shit ever actually (and yes, I realise on paper that MJF went further).

Yeah, if anything, it was MJF just ripping that off to look like a jerk cheaply. Because it came out of nowhere. Whereas Izzy was essentially an existing character on the show and a proxy for Bayley fans everywhere. Sasha tormenting her ruled so hard. This was MJF just being a jerk to be a jerk and didn’t do anything to advance the match. Sasha taunting Bayley’s number one fan gave her so much heat when she came in not hated.

Less is more with AEW. Obvioulsy the 60 minute main meant less matches but they kept the card to under 4 hours. Do you use the PPV to start feuds or end them? AEW seemed to use this one to end most of them - clearly Jungle Boy, Hangman and Starkes are done and moving on; Same with MJF. Love that FTR are back and squarely in the tag title picture.  It's weird in that coming out of the PVV the storylines are potentially wrapped up - and the next chapter and build to All Out can begin. 

Who is the third AEW original on the women's side - is it Willow? Could be great place for her? Don't think Jade needs it. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, chriskbrown50 said:

Who is the third AEW original on the women's side - is it Willow? Could be great place for her? Don't think Jade needs it. 

Shida. She's been involved since the start of Saraya and Toni turning heel.

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 2

On 3/2/2023 at 8:05 AM, Matt D said:

Elite vs House of Black: I think this is one of the most interesting matches on the card, and that's coming from me who usually skips the Elite trios matches. House of Black can act as bases and add some real contrast to the Elite's act. There will be clearer face/heel lines than usual (hypothetically) and the Elite should be able to draw sympathy. That said, House of Black is capable of doing a lot of stuff despite their size and presence and I hope the match doesn't devolve to that immediately. They can build to it with real heat on the Elite and then pay off the fireworks in an amazing 5 minute finishing stretch. So this could be really good or it could be the usual bullshit. 

Yeah, it was the usual bullshit with one good minute of them trying to chip away at Brody King in the middle. Ah well.

• Like 1

Poor Christian in that casket. Can't imagine what his stomach felt like when the casket dropped down that fast. Elevators are bad enough and that thing just dropped like a rock.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Craig H said:

Shida. She's been involved since the start of Saraya and Toni turning heel.

Shida won’t be back until around April, but I guess it doesn’t really matter since the blowoff isn’t happening anytime soon or anything.

Personally I’d go with Statlander if she’s ready to go, but that’s just me. I don’t think it’s going to be a 3v3 type of thing, though. I still think this is leading towards Blood & Guts because nothing else going on currently warrants that big (as in number of people involved) of a match.

• Like 2

Just now, Casey said:

Shida won’t be back until around April, but I guess it doesn’t really matter since the blowoff isn’t happening anytime soon or anything.

Personally I’d go with Statlander if she’s ready to go, but that’s just me. I don’t think it’s going to be a 3v3 type of thing, though. I still think this is leading towards Blood & Guts because nothing else going on currently warrants that big (as in number of people involved) of a match.

My guess is that Statlander isn't back until June or July. The only thing we've heard about her is that she's been backstage, but I haven't seen or heard anything about her training in a ring. Considering she's someone with repeat ACL tears, her doctors probably want to make sure the tendon is going to take and that they'll probably be looking at her other knee from her previous ACL injury to make sure that tendon is still strong.

• Sad 1