DVDVR Message Board

AEW R-EVOLUTION IV - 3/5/2023

Dolfan in NYC

I'm a fan of Hayter, Saraya, and Ruby (especially Hayter the GOAT) but I thought that match was going to be a mess. Smartly worked, stiff, and fun. With a solid finish to keep the program going. Wish Ruby had stayed neutral but holding out hope that Willow returns to pull her back.

Nearly cried when Hangman won. That dude is my dude. Keep Ghost Riders in the Sky, please

• Like 6

Odd bit of trivia: other than the tag title match, every match featured somebody who'd previously wrestled for WWE jobbing to somebody who never has.

You could stretch and include the tag title four-way too on the basis that Jarrett didn't win.

Edit: Oops, forgot about the trios title match. Never mind.

Edited by tbarrie
  • Like 2

I ended up getting the PPV and glad I did. Iron Man match is my MOTY so far. Bryan came away looking very strong and Maxwell survived as both a champion and still dirty. Bryce did a masterful job as ref. I’m so pumped up right now. The ending had me stand up. Then when Schiavone was talking to his earpiece I started giggling. People were losing their mind towards the end. Great work from everyone involved! 

Hangman vs Mox was absolutely lovely. Page is the Man now. Interesting to see what he does going forward with this win. 

• Like 7

Great show. 

The Ironman rules but had one obviously flaw. Why did they not have the overtime contingency in case of a tie? I get that it got them the oxygen tank prop for the win but man they could have had something else. Also, I think I would have preferred “Bryan holds on heroically after Max does some bullshit and hooks in his submission to retain the tie” the the villain of villains doing the same. But still a great match.

Mox/Paige was insanity. Not sure if I ever want to see that type of match ever again in my life but I could not turn away.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Great show. 

The Ironman rules but had one obviously flaw. Why did they not have the overtime contingency in case of a tie?

Long term booking of AEW not thinking things out.

• Like 1

That was one of the craziest things I've seen.. I mean as an event overall.. 

We saw a Buried Alive Match that was really great by the way and credit to Christian who is a living GOAT and Jungle Boy who really brought it and it's like okay that was crazy and the whole night just continued to up the ante. 

Hangman and Mox was ultra violent and for once I felt it was earned 

Trios titles was a great match with a lot of wavy unique spots 

I Don't even know what to say about the Iron Man.. it was maybe more wild than Texas Death.. it was super overbooked but actually also made a lot of sense with each spot which was weird.. it just served to really ratchet up the drama and it worked. Well done Tony Snow. What a tremendous show. 

• Like 5

I feel like a swine for griping so much about the build up to what ended up being a fantastic ppv. I was sold from the moment Starks won clean. What a great night for him and HOB, getting strong, clean wins when it was absolutely needed.

Every match was either good, great, fun, intriguing, or all four, except Wardlow/Joe which was like "I know what they were going for but not only did it not work someone should have told them ahead of time it wasn't going to work". Interesting to see if Hobbs ends up damaged by all this (I think he'll move on from Wardlow and be fine). Damn were the Trios match, the Texas Death, and the main event great. And damn was Brody King tremendous as always. Once MJF's reign is over they should really consider giving King the ball for a year as heel champ. This roster is full of Misawas and Stings in need of a Hansen or Vader to chase. 

I was even into the Jungle Boy match I had been dreading all week. Ruby shouldn't be a heel but at least now the heel team will have someone whose promos I can actually understand and who has a better head for character development in general.

Overall just I really really really enjoyed the hell out of this ppv. Match for match there have been better AEW ppvs but in terms of me going in with low expectations and loving almost everything this may end up in a weird way being the most memorable for me since All Out 2021. Hoping this show marks the beginning of more focused booking going forward.

Edited by Belgian_Waffle
  • Like 3

This was my first PPV buy since last year's Revolution and I was not let down. I was really pulling for Dragon in the main event but the match was way better than I expected. I don't care for MJF's schtick or promos but he's pretty damn good in the ring. Mox and Hanger was awesome. I really like Brody King, he was the star of the Trios match for me.

Overall I was happy with the show and glad it ended at a decent time. 

• Like 3

Excellent show, the theater experience was great.

I'm probably in the minority, but I'm not a huge proponent of MJF throwing the drink on the kid. (SRS tweeted that the kid was visibly upset.) I don't like when comedians make someone who doesn't want to be, a part of the show. I guess I don't like it when wrestlers do it either.

Is the front row the theoretical "splash zone" at the water park? Was that always the case? Should front row fans be prepared for that like fans that bring tarp to a Gallagher show?

• Like 3

Wu-Tang is for the children, but MJF isn’t.

——

I love that Jericho, Mox, Danielson, Saraya, and Christian all put over AEW Originals/ non-WWE wrestlers. ALSO, both the BCC members taped out.

—-

To add to what @StarChief EagleDemon was saying, maybe not smart throwing water around you just drank out of in this modern COVID world. 

Edited by Octopus
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Yeah thats one thing I forgot to mention. The show ran oh about 3:50 I'd say but it flew by. In a weird way the Iron Man Match made sure the timing of everything else didn't overstay its welcome and there was no real downtime or dumb bullshit. Just action. 

The card placement was also good because it'd go from regular Match to stipulation Match to spot fest Match etc.. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, elizium said:

Nearly cried when Hangman won. That dude is my dude. Keep Ghost Riders in the Sky, please

Mikey Rukus confirmed on Twitter it was just a one off.

Minor quibble but I wish the Dumb Gunns didn't mention FTR by name before their music hit, it kind of killed the surprise. The Big Rig suddenly being called the Shatter Machine again though definitely felt like a jab about their being here to stay.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Niners Fan in CT said:

Yeah thats one thing I forgot to mention. The show ran oh about 3:50 I'd say but it flew by. In a weird way the Iron Man Match made sure the timing of everything else didn't overstay its welcome and there was no real downtime or dumb bullshit. Just action. 

The card placement was also good because it'd go from regular Match to stipulation Match to spot fest Match etc.. 

My only note would be to swap Joe-Wardlow with the tag match. They were left out there to die after Hanger-Mox, the comedy match with a big return at the end would have fit better in that spot. Being able to follow the tag match instead would have made the hossiness stand out more

4 minutes ago, Casey said:

Mikey Rukus confirmed on Twitter it was just a one off.

That’s disappointing. I like Hangman’s regular theme, but that seemed like the perfect song for a evolution in the character 

• Like 5