DVDVR Message Board

AEW R-EVOLUTION IV - 3/5/2023

Dolfan in NYC

I go on vacation in the Caribbean and decided to go online to read WWE/AEW results and....JFC MJF needs to read the fucking room. Yes, it's fine to be a heel and yell at fans and point at the belt and try to piss them off or for him to say whatever 'villain's origin story' he wants to do this week. But throwing tequila at a kid? Dude, just stop. (This isn't the first time MJF tossed a drink at a fan to boot)

Tony Khan saying "the champion didn't act like a champion" doesn't help. I don't know TK, but if 'your champion isn't acting like a champion,' maybe he shouldn't be the champion, you know? Stuff like this doesn't help AEW's case and doesn't help MJF's case but to be honest I'm not really clutching at pearls over it. The results' fine because it's a given that Danielson doesn't need or want the AEW title.

Not sure who should challenge for the title next. I would say Eddie Kingston but he's engaging in some psuedo-work shoot mess with AEW and now wanting to be ROH. I guess Ricky Starks again? Or Hangman Page?

Edited by Andrew POE!
  • Like 1

Finishing up with the show

The tag four-way was fun. They show a guy in the crowd who is flat-out Ox Baker ugly and is wearing a plain white tee with BRYAN DANIELSON written on it in black Sharpie and that is... disturbing. Despite all the pleasant ga-ga the crowd goes dead. silent. for the finish. Woof. So, is Dax one of five total bloodlettings on the show? Am I missing someone? 

I honestly think the nastiest bump all show that I've seen so far has to be Perry getting his legs swept and landing on the corner of the fucking stairs. That is just nas-tee. Christian brings the juice count up to 6, but now I'm wondering how many low blows there are total in this show as well. If Jack juiced you might could put this one up there with an ECW PPV or that one Starrcade where everyone in the undercard bladed. Really good blow-off match. 

Didn't think it was gonna happen but HoB/BTE was incredibly entertaining, specifically because the Bucks and Kenny got the shit kicked out of them. The cardio OD and choreographed feel and Kenny's goofy faces were still there but it was all leveled out like a steamroller by the House. Somebody mentioned the Meltzer Driver counter and that was BRUTAL. The knee in the corner to Kenny was the same, and there were probably ten other moments like that, so there's no way I can throw shit at it. And yes Brody's corpse paint was killer. 

Shit, Ruby hits a Great Sasuke Ryder Kick right through the ropes. Awesome. After that it feels like the other two are upping their stiffness and snugness to come to the level of Hayter. It was kinda short but get this: for a three-way match, EVERYBODY STAYED IN THE RING. No laying outside! I can't believe it. Like I said before the Ruby heel turn is fine by me and also the spray paint is too because to me it's not NWO, it's punk rock -- punk rockers are notorious taggers, trust me, I know from experience. So it totally matches her character. Also I dig the black and neon/lime green colors for the group. So this one was good too. 

Not a bad match on the show so far... and there's still the main to go. Shall return with that.

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 3

Just a random thought.

One thing that's different from AEW to WWE is not having a show post pay per view for a few days is it allows time for the results to kinda sink. It kinda took away from the hard-hitting nature of some matches in WWE to have them appear the next night, fresh as a daisy (it also made the WWE PPV feel less special because no matter what, there was going to be something similar the next night, usually rematches and the like). with four or so days between Revolution and Dynamite allows the impact of the matches to sink in.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I really don't understand the logic of re-matching a PPV bout on TV right after. Why bother buying the PPV? You're gonna get the results and a rematch just watching the free TV

I see what you’re saying in a practical level but I kinda get why.  What I don’t get is why it was done so frequently over the years. 

As a story telling device.  The sense of urgency that can be applied after crafting some sort of controversial finish the night before could lend itself  some elevation of interest.  

As it’s been gone to far too many times with poor execution.  It’s baffling how the often the concept has been botched.  I’m all about elevation of the weekly show with out seeing it as diminishing the value of spending money on the ppv.

• Like 2

The whole point of RAWs after pay per views used to be "here's still shots courtesy of WWE magazine - buy the replay!" and feature matches with talent who weren't on the PPV so they could have the night off

The exception would be mid-card guys who were elevated by their pay per view performance, or a new babyface champion cutting a promo with the belt

By that logic - Wardlow should open the show with a promo, MJF and Danielson should have the night off, and anyone returning like Adam Cole should be in action

Edited by Dolphman 3000
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Dog said:

If you're going to complain about AEW in the WWE forum, you should complain about WWE in the AEW forum. Fair is fair. 

I will. I don't like Jey Uso turning on Sami Zayn at Raw. It should have continued the mystery of "whose side is he on?" until WrestleMania where Jey Uso teams up with Sami Zayn only to turn on him then Kevin Owens comes out to replace Jey as Sami Zayn's partner or make the save. Part of me really wanted to see Jey & Sami win the tag titles at WrestleMania as well.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2023 at 3:22 PM, Matt D said:

Hangman Page is the only guy in the world who could have found some other way to beat Moxley, that could have found some way to draw deep inside himself and kill him with kindness. It would have been so much better and so much truer to who Hangman Page is and could be and to the fanbase and all of you lovable jerks for them to beat each other all over the ring and Page to just let him go, to pull him side, to tell him that he forgave Moxley and that Moxley needs to forgive himself too, to give him a big hug, and for Moxley to just lay down, eyes shut, for ten seconds, finally at peace, a peace that only an anxious millennial cowboy could help him find.

Or you know, he can just hang him with a chain. Whatever.

Page has probably been insecure about his previously inaccurate nickname for years. Finally actually hanging someone may have been a major moment of validation for him, and you want to take that from him?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, tbarrie said:

Page has probably been insecure about his previously inaccurate nickname for years. Finally actually hanging someone may have been a major moment of validation for him, and you want to take that from him?

He was given the name after hanging Chris Sabin on an ROH show (in Detroit! Sabin's hometown!). I think it was part of the angle that got him added to the Bullet Club.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

finally watched this a few days late. thoughts:

pre-show was weak. Trios match was fun, but that backstage interviewer. RJ City or whatever? Who are you and why are you taking up so much free time with your lame skits and reactions. didn't they used to have more than one match on an hour program?

Starks/Jericho was pretty good. obviously the right man won. that tackle by Andretti to Guevara was legit great. Has Jericho's chest been sunken in like that for a while now? This is the first time i've noticed it.

Jungle Boy/Christian was months late, but this was a damn good climax to the feud. The right amount of everything, and i really enjoyed this. Some heel is going to get massive heat when he shave's Jack Perry's head. 

House of Black/Elite was everything i want out of trios matches. more chaotic than a standard tag team, and looser rules with tags (but not ignored completely like in regular Young Bucks tag matches). interesting combination moves. i want to see more of Malakai Black and his evil friends. 

Women's Triple Threat was fine. Hayter is fantastic, but Saraya has dragged everything she's been in down for me. the heel turn by Ruby Soho was excellently done. definitely caught me off guard.

Hangman/Moxley was my MOTN. Lots of violence, lots of brawling, lots of blood. All of it felt earned and the intensity was deserved. loved every minute of it.

Wardlow/Joe i didn't watch much of. I love Samoa Joe, but i was starting to get burned out, so i half tuned out to keep my interest up in the main event.

Tag Title 4 Way was fun. i tuned in and out and liked what i saw, but wasn't hugely invested in it. was surprised that the Gunns retained the titles. Dug FTR's return. Ready to fast forward to FTR having the belts.

MJF/Danielson Iron Man Match was......long. There were a few nice exchanges in there, like the continuous pinfalls, or the countering submission spots, but this match just didn't deliver for me. I get that the entire point was to show that MJF really can wrestle, but he also likes to rely on shortcuts. They did a good job of that. But hour long matches are very rarely something that i want to watch. 

overall, a top tier event (especially as it looks like the majority really liked the main).

• Like 2

MJF vs. Bryan Danielson was not only one of the best Iron Man matches ever, it's one of the best matches in AEW history. Getting to see a wrestling genius in Bryan Danielson work over 60 minutes is a true treat and on my birthday. Hated the finish with Danielson tapping out to his own move, the LeBell Lock. Dueling limbwork is a favourite of mine. MJF/Danielson was my MOTN and a MOTYC. I think Kenny Omega vs. Will Ospreay at NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 17 is still my MOTY. Bryan Danielson was in the two longest matches in AEW history: this #1 and the 60 minute draw with Hangman Adam Page at AEW Winter is Coming Dynamite 2021. I know he doesn't want it but fuck it, put it briefly on Danielson so he's part of the ineage. I hate how Bryan loses the big one in AEW.

I didn't expect Hangman Adam Page vs. Jon Moxley to be as violent as that even with Moxley's involvement. Felt more like a Light's Out match than recent ones. Fair play to Page bumping into barbed wire as that's Mox's game. The fork stabbing into Page's forehead was nasty. Reminded me when I went down forehead first into a carving fork picking a sack of potatoes for my much missed Mum and bleeding as a result. A MOTYC.

I enjoyed The Elite vs. House of Black much more than The Elite vs. Death Triangle. Glad House of Black won clean. So far the booking since the group has come back is better than V1. Brody King was the MVP in the match. Another MOTYC.

Considering there was a match that was going 60 minutes minimum, this was one of the best booked AEW shows ever when it came to timing. Impressive for that reason. AEW's had frequent issues there. I hope this is the template for future AEW shows particularly PPV. Less is more.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 3

Finally got around to the Iron Man match. Unlike Schneider I didn't think it was the best Ironman ever (that is STILL Rude/Steamboat) but it was... fine. I can go forever without seeing another Malenko/Guerrero sequence and I think that kinda put a bad taste in my mouth for the rest of the match. Granted, they worked hard as shit and took some big risks. MJF actually got the gnarliest moments with that weird package piledriver and the jumping Tombstone through the remains of the table. Another problem I had is I still have no idea where the 2nd pinfall from Dragon came from, it seemed like they fudged the count on the screen and then it just stuck. That made me think "waitaminute" through the whole rest of it. 

So that makes my favorite one Mox/Hangman (of course). My 2nd might actually be House of Black/Elite which surprises me as much as you. 

• Like 1

Ok, the last two matches. The 4 way tag was very entertaining, The ending was what it was supposed to be and the FTR return capped it off!

The main event was just off the F'n charts. Statement win for MJF, even with all the cheating. It's just that 4-3 overtime win is the most boring ending you can have in these things, because it's so overused. Nevertheless, MJF showed i phenomenal shape and was ready to work! That was fantastic. Two of the biggest stars tapping out on the same night. That had to mean something, right?

58 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

Finally got around to the Iron Man match. Unlike Schneider I didn't think it was the best Ironman ever (that is STILL Rude/Steamboat) but it was... fine. I can go forever without seeing another Malenko/Guerrero sequence and I think that kinda put a bad taste in my mouth for the rest of the match. Granted, they worked hard as shit and took some big risks. MJF actually got the gnarliest moments with that weird package piledriver and the jumping Tombstone through the remains of the table. Another problem I had is I still have no idea where the 2nd pinfall from Dragon came from, it seemed like they fudged the count on the screen and then it just stuck. That made me think "waitaminute" through the whole rest of it. 

So that makes my favorite one Mox/Hangman (of course). My 2nd might actually be House of Black/Elite which surprises me as much as you. 

Dragon's second fall came as a result of a DQ on MJF's low-blow. Bryce made the sign but then MJF did the pins so fast they didn't have time to discuss it until a couple of minutes later which made it seem like a fudge

• Thanks 1

Apologies if it has already been discussed during this topic...

a. Did Ruby Soho decide to join the 'Ex-WWE Superstars stable' after the match? Why not double team Hayter and take the strap?

b. Also, what's the logic behind a 4 way tag team match with guys on the apron holding the tag rope? Correct me if I'm wrong but it's no disqualification, right? Not that I didn't thoroughly enjoy the Memphis Mayhem. 

I'm not asking for a full on 'Sports' feel, but I wonder if it wouldn't be a really good idea for them to start doing away with all the bullshit logic in these multi-way bouts and especially the Battle Royals. No more catching. Please. 

1 hour ago, HarryArchieGus said:

a. Did Ruby Soho decide to join the 'Ex-WWE Superstars stable' after the match? Why not double team Hayter and take the strap?

Because losing the match was the catalyst for her turn. Hayter also broke up a sure-win for Ruby right before the roll-up.

• Like 1

Meltzer:

MJF/Bryan Danielson, *****3/4.

Hangman Adam Page/Jon Moxley, *****.

House of Black/The Elite, ****3/4.

Natural:

MJF/Bryan Danielson, *****.

Hangman Adam Page/Jon Moxley, *****.

House of Black/The Elite, ****1/2.