Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Recommended Posts

Speaking of J-Tex Corporation, I watched Halloween Havoc 89 last night and finished it this morning. Muta in character blowing out an accidental fire (that Tommy Young and someone else...maybe Jackie Crockett are desperately trying to extinguish) with green mist...the most pro wrestling thing in the history of pro wrestling.

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

maxresdefault.jpg

Listen, I get why people hated the dungeon of doom. I'm not even going to try and say it was good. But this photo could only exist in the universe of pro wrestling, and on some level I kind of like that in theory. Does this make sense to any sort of normal person? 

  • Like 10
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just watched the Firefly Funhouse match, which for the record is the only WWE "match" I have seen in the last two years.

What in the actual bleeding void of the great nothingness was that

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I just watched the Firefly Funhouse match, which for the record is the only WWE "match" I have seen in the last two years.

What in the actual bleeding void of the great nothingness was that

Maybe the best thing I've seen from WWE this year, which says a lot. (Disclaimer: I've watched very little WWE)

Spoiler

john-cena-speed-workout.gif

 

Edited by West Newbury Bad Boy
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Death From Above said:

I just watched the Firefly Funhouse match, which for the record is the only WWE "match" I have seen in the last two years.

What in the actual bleeding void of the great nothingness was that

I would say you would need to have watched something else from Bray in the last 2 years to understand it.

Undertaker v AJ is easily the most accessible of the ‘wacky Wrestlemania matches’

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Elsalvajeloco said:

Speaking of J-Tex Corporation, I watched Halloween Havoc 89 last night and finished it this morning. Muta in character blowing out an accidental fire (that Tommy Young and someone else...maybe Jackie Crockett are desperately trying to extinguish) with green mist...the most pro wrestling thing in the history of pro wrestling.

I really like that match, apart from the occasional attempt to climb out of the cage 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BurningBeard said:

I really like that match, apart from the occasional attempt to climb out of the cage 

It got dicey in the middle when they went from tagging (as Jim Ross noted Australian rules) to Texas Tornado. I think they all just said fuck it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Death From Above said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Listen, I get why people hated the dungeon of doom. I'm not even going to try and say it was good. But this photo could only exist in the universe of pro wrestling, and on some level I kind of like that in theory. Does this make sense to any sort of normal person? 

Who is the guy behind Sullivan? I don't remember that mask. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Edwin said:

I watch wrestling and try to visit this board to discuss wrestling and escape reality for a bit, but sometimes this board (specifically this thread every month) has to head down that direction and is of no help.

This should be stickied as the first message on every monthly topic. I’m personally here to discuss wrestling, specifically the history of the sport, not he-said she-said gossip (even though I know that’s kind of what the IWC is built on... but with social media that has become its own abhorrent thing)

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Death From Above said:

maxresdefault.jpg

Listen, I get why people hated the dungeon of doom. I'm not even going to try and say it was good. But this photo could only exist in the universe of pro wrestling, and on some level I kind of like that in theory. Does this make sense to any sort of normal person? 

Some real icons of pro wrestling socialism there. Good brothers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to go back to the Austin stuff on the previous page, the all caps screenshot is 100% a parody account. I don't know what Austins real  thoughts are on such issues but that particular post is definitely not him.

The audio about gay marriage is him though. I recall hearing that podcast some time ago. It was one of his shows with his friend from Texas Ted Fowler (the "Teddy" referred to in the clip).

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot said:

Austin wore that shirt at WM20 when he reffed Goldberg/Lesnar 

Interesting. Sean Waltman was the one who tweeted that it was a bootleg version that Austin didn't design himself. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Random Wrestling Trivia:

Did you know: ECW Hardcore Heaven 1997 is the only PPV to ever consist entirely of dark matches.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2020 at 8:32 AM, Mike Campbell said:

He also reads an email from someone who was a trainer at Harley Race's school at the time Omega was down there, and gives some details as to why Omega isn't a huge fan of Harley.

Could you summarize?  I really can't listen to Cornette but I'd like to know this story.

On 6/6/2020 at 8:33 PM, Niners Fan in CT said:

I like Starrcade '90. I enjoy that whole year despite its issues. 

The street fight between Doom vs. Arn Anderson and Barry Windham is on my short list of greatest 10 minute matches it's so wild.. great fun.

Same!  16 year-old me's mind was blown by two heel teams booked to just fuck each other up nonstop for a bit.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Could you summarize?  I really can't listen to Cornette but I'd like to know this story.

An anonymous listener wrote in to tell the story of Omega attending a 2005 camp hosted by Harley Race/Pro Wrestling NOAH. It goes that Omega messed up a warm-up leapfrog spot and accidentally headbutted his partner. Because of this and a general feeling he was working too fast and messy, he was shunted into the beginner section of the camp, which meant he wasn't going to get to work matches, which meant there was no way NOAH was going to bring him over.

Race did book him in one match for his WLW promotion while Omega was there, after which he was given a developmental deal by WWE. The listener writes that Johnny Ace--who was there to offer one developmental deal and say hi to Kenta Kobashi--was more impressed with Omega than anyone else was, because he saw something in his personality.

Overall it basically corroborates what Omega has said, but of course argues that he was sloppy/reckless, whereas Omega says he wasn't, and they just missed on him. He believes Harley was biased towards his own students, and criticized/sidelined him so one of them would get an offer instead. 

Edited by Beech27
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Top 7 Reasons why the Empty Arena/ Wrestlers ringside Covid-era wrestling is better than when there was crowds:

  1. No obnoxious, attention seeking fans trying to get themselves over.
  2. Chops in the corner - nobody goes Whooooo!
  3. You can actually hear the in-ring trash talk.
  4. If a wrestler is working really stiff, you can actually heat the shots land.
  5. Call and response promos die a death. This is good. They are only entertaining for live crowds, not the TV audience.
  6. It kind of feels like we're watching pre-season friendlies a lot of the time, building anticipation for legit competition somewhere down the line.
  7. Pre-taped shows mean they can edit out botches and put in do-overs if they want or need to.

I was going to do a top ten but I can't think of three more. And there are plenty of reasons why it's actually not as good too. The main one being that only promotions with TV deals can run, which really fucks up the indies.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, AxB said:

Top 7 Reasons why the Empty Arena/ Wrestlers ringside Covid-era wrestling is better than when there was crowds:

  1. No obnoxious, attention seeking fans trying to get themselves over.
  2. Chops in the corner - nobody goes Whooooo!
  3. You can actually hear the in-ring trash talk.
  4. If a wrestler is working really stiff, you can actually heat the shots land.
  5. Call and response promos die a death. This is good. They are only entertaining for live crowds, not the TV audience.
  6. It kind of feels like we're watching pre-season friendlies a lot of the time, building anticipation for legit competition somewhere down the line.
  7. Pre-taped shows mean they can edit out botches and put in do-overs if they want or need to.

I was going to do a top ten but I can't think of three more. And there are plenty of reasons why it's actually not as good too. The main one being that only promotions with TV deals can run, which really fucks up the indies.

The Dynamite shows from QT's school were such dumb fun. It was almost like watching NWA Powerrr at times, with the faux-old school feel. They really did a nice job with that. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, AxB said:

Top 7 Reasons why the Empty Arena/ Wrestlers ringside Covid-era wrestling is better than when there was crowds:

  1. No obnoxious, attention seeking fans trying to get themselves over.
  2. Chops in the corner - nobody goes Whooooo!
  3. You can actually hear the in-ring trash talk.
  4. If a wrestler is working really stiff, you can actually heat the shots land.
  5. Call and response promos die a death. This is good. They are only entertaining for live crowds, not the TV audience.
  6. It kind of feels like we're watching pre-season friendlies a lot of the time, building anticipation for legit competition somewhere down the line.
  7. Pre-taped shows mean they can edit out botches and put in do-overs if they want or need to.

I was going to do a top ten but I can't think of three more. And there are plenty of reasons why it's actually not as good too. The main one being that only promotions with TV deals can run, which really fucks up the indies.

No more endless dumb crowd reaction shots spliced in between the action.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...