DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

Things are nuts right now.  Be kind, and if you can't be kind, be civil.

Wrestling is a fun distraction from what's going on, but remember there are a lot more important things going on in the world.

Enjoy June.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

I've been using my furlough time to work through all the WCW Clash and PPVs up to when Hogan comes in.

I'm at 1990 and I tell you one thing, god bless Vince McMahon for reigning Jim Ross' commentary in regarding going on about wrestlers having degrees and what sport they played. Sheesh. One bonus is it's become a running joke between me and my missus now, so if we're watching a sitcom I'll start making up some bollocks about an actors collegiate background

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Don't know if this made it into last month's thread but Chris DeJoseph, who'd recently been promoted to SmackDown Head Writer was fired on Friday afternoon.  It was apparently a disciplinary measure.

He'd been with MLW until he got rehired by  WWE in December. 

26 minutes ago, BurningBeard said:

I've been using my furlough time to work through all the WCW Clash and PPVs up to when Hogan comes in.

I'm at 1990 and I tell you one thing, god bless Vince McMahon for reigning Jim Ross' commentary in regarding going on about wrestlers having degrees and what sport they played. Sheesh. One bonus is it's become a running joke between me and my missus now, so if we're watching a sitcom I'll start making up some bollocks about an actors collegiate background

The current wrestling in joke between me and the gf is imitating Otis saying “oooh yeah, Money in the Bank” from right after he won the briefcase anytime we manage to save a few bucks here and there.

• Like 4

As far as Jim Ross goes, partly he's always been very defensive of the legitimacy of wrestlers as proper pro athletes, and partly he was trying to contrast the WCW roster of legit guys with other companies that were stuffed with outlandish characters and unbelievable gimmicks. 

Christopher DeJoseph had an on screen role with DX, didn't he? Naked dancing fat bloke type of deal?

• Like 1

Ross definitely picked that habit up and had it ingrained into him by being around Bill Watts so much. Watts realized he couldn't compete for production value with the cartoonish WWF so he would spend a lot of airtime playing up how these were legit athletes and playing up the background. It was a perfectly sensible ploy to differentiate the products, but of course eventually when it's being done all the time forever it wears very thin.

Especially when you consider that kayfabe was still on life support at the time. If you could persuade the fans that this is the real wrestling, not like that fake WWF stuff with it's evil Arabs and savages...  probably worth it.

If you listen to the folks still around from the territory era, many of them have the “wrestling as sports” mentality, especially those who were former athletes and were part of the Eddie Graham tree (watts, Fuller, ...). 

It always felt counterproductive to me, making wrestling feel like a sport for guys who couldn't make it in other sports.  When the best Ross can say about Vader is that he had a cup of coffee with the Rams practice squad, and here he is winning the world title, what's that say in kayfabe about wrestling s a sport?  "WCW: Where the Washouts Play."

Say what you want about Gorilla Monsoon, at least when he discussed Jim Neidhart's football background, he'd say that Nedihart quit football because it wasn't violent enough or something.

Edited by Technico Support
  • Like 7

JR always seemed to lean real heavy on certain guys' athletic backgrounds while ignoring others. Like he wouldn't (and still won't) shut up about Jake Hager yet I can't recall him ever really pushing Dolph Ziggler's 

Oh I totally get the concept behind JR pushing the athletic and collegiate backgrounds as a way of (further) legitimising a wrestler but in the age of binging and him making the same points every event it’s like “Brian Pillman. Wedge buster. Yadayadayada, bloody hell, give it a rest!”

Edited by BurningBeard

6 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Back in the days when pro football players still got day jobs in the offseason!

Bronco Nagurski sold you an Oldsmobile! Or someone.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Things are nuts right now.  Be kind, and if you can't be kind, be civil.

Wrestling is a fun distraction from what's going on, but remember there are a lot more important things going on in the world.

Enjoy June.

I dunno man.  I've been pretty fucking depressed.  I work in mental health, and while I have historically been exceptionally skilled for the past 20+ yrs at keeping the trauma from coming home with me, I've been on work-from-home status since this COVID shit, so the trauma of those I work with has latched on to my surroundings.  Everyone I talk to is terrified, at best, paranoid and panicky and suicidal at worst.  It seems like all I want to do is sleep.

But I like this place.  I enjoy coming here.  I appreciate you guys making this a pretty safe haven for none of that shit from out *waves hand* THERE to get in.

Be safe and healthy, all y'all.  Even the ones I got on block; just because you have shit opinions don't mean I want anything to happen to you.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Dolfan in NYC said:

Don't know if this made it into last month's thread but Chris DeJoseph, who'd recently been promoted to SmackDown Head Writer was fired on Friday afternoon.  It was apparently a disciplinary measure.

He'd been with MLW until he got rehired by  WWE in December. 

I'm seeing unsubstantiated reports of some kind of inappropriate comment to Vince. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't curious. Who even was the last guy to get in trouble with Vince directly, Titus with the stupid arm grab thing?

1 minute ago, Ultimo Necro said:

I figure we’ll probably find out the reason for DeJoseph’s firing this week on AEW during Brodie Lee’s promo.

I’d love to know where Vince’s “unprofessional” bar is set these days. 

I'm pretty sure Dynamite this week was taped last week.