DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

You can get a free week of IWTV with all sorts of promo codes that are all over twitter. Mostly they're affiliated with promotions, but they've extended it to wrestlers as well now (the deal is, if you sign up for a free week using someone's code, and then actually buy a subscription, they give a kickback to whoever's promo code you used). Then after that, the amount they pay out to the different promotions is determined by watch time.

Edited by AxB
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Oyaji said:

Whoa, IWTV has Sendai Girls too? Hmm, that, GCW, and Big Japan is pretty tempting. And the annual deal is not too bad at $100 USD compared to other subs. I had it whittled down to just NJPW World prior to the pandemic and now it'll probably be NJPW, IWTV, and DDT.

don't sleep on all the Chikara and AIW also.  Plus you get the Beyond shows and the ICW shows.  I feel they will be adding some more big promotions sooner or later too.    Between IWTV and Highspots you can get pretty much any good indy show live or on demand.  Can't say enough good about both. Plus the customer service is top notch 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Zimbra said:

When will some money mark buy the WAR library and put it online so that, like, seven of us can subscribe to it?

Right, the majority is already up but yeah I would love for an SWS/WAR library. NTV, Fuji and Asahi should really do more with their archives even if it's just selling the rights or loaning the rights to Classics episodes. 

31 minutes ago, Oyaji said:

Right, the majority is already up but yeah I would love for an SWS/WAR library. NTV, Fuji and Asahi should really do more with their archives even if it's just selling the rights or loaning the rights to Classics episodes. 

Yeah, I would definitely pay a couple of bucks for the full library cataloged so I didn't have to dig through youtube and dailymotion to find stuff.

My dream but insanely niche streaming service would have SWS/WAR, PWFG/Battlarts/Futen, UWF, ULL, and 90s MPro and it would absolutely go out of business within a month.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Did he announce he was matching it or did he announce he was "joining efforts to match it"?

Like all respect to John for donating but I have a nagging feeling the "Cena stumped up an extra million dollars of his own" bit is an unfortunate confluence of a) Cena tweeting like a malfunctioning neural network and b) wrestling website news guys and kpop stans being huge dumbasses

Edited by Firebreaker Chip

9 minutes ago, Firebreaker Chip said:

Did he announce he was matching it or did he announce he was "joining efforts to match it"?

One article I read said he's joining efforts.  But the above tweet sounds like he donated a million.  Honestly whether it's a million or however much he donates it is yet another example of why I see John Cena as a good man.  Good for him.  And it was funny seeing him explain his fandom for BTS even if they're as mainstream as it gets for K Pop music.  But it's a great thing they're doing with the donation.

On 6/9/2020 at 1:33 PM, ohtani's jacket said:

The term Shitenno itself comes from Buddhism and was later used to describe famous groups of retainers and Samurai generals. Later on, it was used for judokas. I think it's a bit silly referring to wrestlers as Shitenno, but apparently the fans and media have done it since the 60s when Inoki, Baba, Oki and Yoshimura were considered Japanese Pro-Wrestling Shitenno. The Japanese magazines do love naming everything. They had a name for the Tsuruta vs. Tenryu feud -- The Tsururyu Confrontation (or Crane Dragon Confrontation) based on the nickname for the Tsuruta/Tenryu tag team (Crane Dragon Combi or simply Crane Dragon.) 

Were they Tsururyū Combi at some point then? I've only ever heard the name as Kakuryū Combi (same Kanji, I know)

Edit: read their Wikipedia page to find out more info, and found this. Forgive my translation:

なお、鶴龍を「かくりゅう」と読むことについて鶴田は当初不満があったらしく、TVやプロレス雑誌のインタビューで「俺は鶴田(つるた)だから『つるりゅう』だ」と言っていたが、語呂の良さから「かくりゅう」が定着した。
Regarding Kakuryū being read as Kakuryū, Tsuruta seemed initially dissatisfied by the name but stated on TV and in wrestling magazines "because I am Tsuruta, I was calling us Tsururyū but since Kakuryū sounds nicer, I've decided on that instead".

He's not wrong.

Edited by bleloch
  • Like 1

The story is BTS themselves gave a million to Black Lives Matter, so the fans decided that they collectively would match it. And I think Cena just contributed to that collection, rather than putting up a full million himself.

I've listened to a bunch of podcasts on Raider and I still get a gross feeling when I see the letters BTS together. Those poor Korean boys didn't do anything to anybody (probably). 

Does Ebessan still wrestle? I'm dying to see what a match with him and Orange Cassidy might look like. Or either of them vs Yano?

Does Ebessan have any matches unmasked, and if so does he wrestle differently?

8 minutes ago, Hayabusa said:

Does Ebessan still wrestle? I'm dying to see what a match with him and Orange Cassidy might look like. Or either of them vs Yano?

Kind Of. There's a match of his where he wrestles as "Jumbo Kiku" (basically doing a Jumbo impression) with Sanshiro Takagi doing a Terry Funk "impression" against Bruiser Minody (misuzu) and (yoshihiro) Takan Hansen. That's halfway to what you're talking about.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

One article I read said he's joining efforts.  But the above tweet sounds like he donated a million.  

You means Cenas own tweet? To me that seems very clear hes contributing to the fans efforts to match the 1m and not donating that amount himself. 

1 hour ago, Hayabusa said:

He still wrestles but his name is Kikutaro now.  There are two other Ebessans.  Ignore them.

Kikutaro wrestled unmasked for years as Mitsunobu Kikuzawa and even held the FMW barbed wire street fight six man tag titles w Onita and Okumura, and was part of Gurentai in XPW.  So yeah he wrestled as a hardcore deathmatch guy then.  He started his career as a young boy for W*ING.

He was also unmasked as the pizza guy in the final season of Lucha Underground.

Edited by Tromatagon
  • Thanks 1