DVDVR Message Board

JUNE 2020 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

20 hours ago, MapRef41N93W said:

Come to think of it, "Pins and Needles" would be a great name for a book about steroids in pro wrestling. Maybe if Brian Cage ever writes a memoir...

You just had to Get Your Shit In...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Ultimo Necro said:

Iron Mike Jackson & Santana “Michael” Jackson vs. The Young Bucks.

Special guest referee - Ezekiel Jackson

The “Jackson 5-star” match

6 if it’s in Reseda.

• Haha 4

It’s probably just the Twitter account, but Mongo Vs. Jarrett/5th Horseman dysfunction is a severely underrated angle with a very good payoff for Mongo. The crowds were always coming unglued when Jarrett would get his ass punk’d out.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

On 6/3/2020 at 4:02 AM, Infinit said:

It's crazy that Harley Race was only 44 when he wrestled JYD at Mania 3. He seemed so much older. He wasn't even 50 when he was managing Vader and seemed ancient.

The schedule he used to have, I'm not surprised he looked ancient at that age

• Like 2

15 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

It’s probably just the Twitter account, but Mongo Vs. Jarrett/5th Horseman dysfunction is a severely underrated angle with a very good payoff for Mongo. The crowds were always coming unglued when Jarrett would get his ass punk’d out.

Not just the Twitter account- it was a lot of fun. When Jarrett went back to the WWF, I was certain they'd stick Debra with the just debuted Goldberg against Mongo, but uh, Alex Wright was fine too I guess.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

The schedule, combined with the fact that I am pretty sure that Harley Race's diet for the entire twenty years prior solely consisted of barbecued meats, beer, and "these pills I got from the truckers".

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, BurningBeard said:

There was a Twitter thread a couple months ago with nothing but pictures of people from the 70s and 80s and their ages.  A 44 year old in 1987 is a 96 year old in 2020.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, supremebve said:

There was a Twitter thread a couple months ago with nothing but pictures of people from the 70s and 80s and their ages.  A 44 year old in 1987 is a 96 year old in 2020.

Uh, are you Scott Steiner?

If you are 44-years-old in 1987, you'll be celebrating your 77th birthday sometime in 2020.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Doc Townsend said:

Uh, are you Scott Steiner?

If you are 44-years-old in 1987, you'll be celebrating your 77th birthday sometime in 2020.

Lol, no.  I meant a 44 year old in 1987 looks like a 96 year old in 2020.  There weren't a bunch of Halle Berry/J-Lo types who look like they do in their mid 50s back in 1987.  Harley Race looked  like what 44 years old looked like at the time, but now he looks much older because everyone is in a state of arrested development.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, supremebve said:

Lol, no.  I meant a 44 year old in 1987 looks like a 96 year old in 2020.  There weren't a bunch of Halle Berry/J-Lo types who look like they do in their mid 50s back in 1987.  Harley Race looked  like what 44 years old looked like at the time, but now he looks much older because everyone is in a state of arrested development.

Sorry.  My mistake.  I thought maybe i was missing something.

Yeah, if you watch the AJPW Triple Crown formation match between Jumbo and Hansen, you'd swear they were both over 50 at the time. And they were both like 38.

6 minutes ago, AxB said:

Yeah, if you watch the AJPW Triple Crown formation match between Jumbo and Hansen, you'd swear they were both over 50 at the time. And they were both like 38.

I really wish I remembered who posted the thread, because it was hilarious.  It wasn't even the 40+ year olds who looked ancient, it was the 23 year olds who looked like they needed orthopedic shoes.

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

Catching up on RAW from 3 weeks ago and man can you imagine the backlash if they did the Street Profits / Viking Raiders ax-throwing segment this week.  

Well now that WWE has apparently discovered racial sensitivity, maybe they can change R-Truth's gimmick.  When one of your most visible African American wrestlers has a gimmick of "he likes to dance and he's really dumb," that's not really a good look.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, supremebve said:

Awhile back a friend and I were talking about this very topic, re: old sports cards. This is my favourite example: this is Paul MacLean's rookie card. Depending when the pic was taken during the season, he would be 23 or 24. Dude looks like he's ready to hang 'em up and start collecting his retirement dues.

QAMvL76.jpg

Edited by elizium
  • Haha 7

51 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

Well now that WWE has apparently discovered racial sensitivity, maybe they can change R-Truth's gimmick.  When one of your most visible African American wrestlers has a gimmick of "he likes to dance and he's really dumb," that's not really a good look.

Haven't we said something like that after any number of controversial incidents, though?    I'm not even going to try to list all the insensitive, tasteless gimmicks Vince had trotted out in the wake of various world events.  The dude that went to Saudi Arabia in the wake of most every other country and nation condemning them for a a journalist's murder isn't going to keep ""Black Lives Matter" in his forebrain for more than a month.

Killings will probably be doing Pretty Ricky again before the year is out.  Maybe by SummerSlam.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Doc Townsend said:

Haven't we said something like that after any number of controversial incidents, though?    I'm not even going to try to list all the insensitive, tasteless gimmicks Vince had trotted out in the wake of various world events.  The dude that went to Saudi Arabia in the wake of most every other country and nation condemning them for a a journalist's murder isn't going to keep ""Black Lives Matter" in his forebrain for more than a month.

Killings will probably be doing Pretty Ricky again before the year is out.  Maybe by SummerSlam.  

Yep.  The first sentence was meant to be sarcasm.  I know that doesn't come across well online though.

• Thanks 1

So I'm watching this Nick Gage Q & A on IWTV, and they asked him who in the business he respects the least. He took a while and then said DJ Hyde and Hulk Hogan.

Nick Gage: Good judge of character.

• Like 5