Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

Recommended Posts

@MADCAP They aren't. They're just sucked into America's social credit system, even if they don't realize it.

I hope Cornette is cancelled, not just because of the racism, but because he's an insufferable prick. Joey Ryan is right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

“Joey Ryan is right”. 

Yeah, I’m done here. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, MORELOCK said:


It's probably not the best time to call Cornette the greatest announcer of all time.

 

Why do I have a feeling that everyone would be less offended if the dumb thing was said by someone they didn't have a pre-existing hatred for?

 I mean if a Tom Phillips (I know some people don't like him either) would have said I assume the cancel culture would go after him as well.   But at least more people on the other side would be mad because it was only his first offense (again I know Tom Phillips isn't the best example here).   Even the people who scream about people always being offended are like "what did Cornette say this time".  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, hammerva said:

 I mean if a Tom Phillips (I know some people don't like him either) would have said I assume the cancel culture would go after him as well.   But at least more people on the other side would be mad because it was only his first offense (again I know Tom Phillips isn't the best example here).   Even the people who scream about people always being offended are like "what did Cornette say this time".  

I have this feeling that even less people watch NXT UK, than NWA Powerrr on this side of the Atlantic. So Tom Phillips comments will be falling on deaf ears.

Edit: Also is @Serious Darius Bagfelt really serious saying Justin Roberts “sucks”. Your standards have to be astronomical to think he isn’t one of the better wrestling ring announcers in the past 20 years. Heck if he continues doing what he’s doing now, then he’d easily be a Top 5er all-time.

Edited by LoneWolf&Subs
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Corny reminds me alot of Don Cherry. Alot of the questionable stuff he got a pass for saying in the past just won't get that same pass in today's society. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he wasn’t such a fuck up, he’d probably be feuding with the Bucks on TV, and not in public. 
 

I wonder if Ken Anderson could commentate. That angle on Powerrr could easily be a reason for him to “hang up the boots”. It’s not like he was going to win the feud anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So considering Cornette's gone I'm going to focus on the show instead which was pretty fun.  I'm glad they're capitalizing on the love for Question Mark and the main event tag was fun.  Also loved the women's tag and the build for Thunder Rosa's title win at the PPV.  They have a lot of good stuff going and with Cornette going everything's coming up Millhouse.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think that THIS is where Cornette fights like hell to keep his job.  Short of working on commentary for some local indie DVD or streaming service he has absolutely nothing left.  Except a podcast that is getting him most of his trouble to begin with

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MADCAP said:

“Joey Ryan is right”. 

Yeah, I’m done here. 

Getting caught in these dichotomies where people think they have to chose sides from 2 bad options is a trap.

Both people in an argument can be terrible.

Terrible people can be right sometimes.

Terrible people can be talented and their employers need to weigh those risks versus the rewards.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MORELOCK said:


It's probably not the best time to call Cornette the greatest announcer of all time.

 

Why do I have a feeling that everyone would be less offended if the dumb thing was said by someone they didn't have a pre-existing hatred for?

3 hours ago, MADCAP said:

Funny how wrestling fans, who are the absolute worst when it comes to trolling and calling people names online are so offended nowadays. 

Oh fuck off. Is their anything people won’t twist or spin to support their narratives/agendas nowadays? 
 

Place is turning in to Reddit. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

 

Just for the record, hers what Jim said about Roberts. "Justin Roberts looks like he should be registered somewhere to be around children" is the word for word quote. If that's not a "he looks like a pedophile" joke, I literally don't know what it is. 

Uh, sir, I hope you enjoy being on @ComingToAmerica’s blocklist!!!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not about who is offended anecdotally or whether or not he said it 50 times before, if you say something like that as an announcer working for a reputable company (although I probably wouldn't go as far as calling this particular company reputable but I'm being general FWIW), you're going to get fired. Point blank, period. My thing is...for a dude who talks about how he doesn't need to do anything wrestling related, he sure takes a lot of gigs he probably should know he will eventually be fired from saying or doing something incredibly stupid. Also, for someone who called Pacman Jones' entourage a bunch of thugs when Pacman was there in TNA, how does Cornette not see he is worse than them? For any positive he can contribute to the wrestling business, he is just as poisonous. And if it's anything wrestling has in spades (hey, Cornette might as well call someone a spade at his next commentary job to get off on the right foot there), it is people being poisonous.

Edited by Elsalvajeloco
  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

 

Just for the record, hers what Jim said about Roberts. "Justin Roberts looks like he should be registered somewhere to be around children" is the word for word quote. If that's not a "he looks like a pedophile" joke, I literally don't know what it is. 

You didn’t hear “looks like he oughta be”?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No choice but to fire Cornette. No one survives that comment at all.  More to the point, Cornette doesn't deserve any of the benefit of the doubt based on his recent behavior. 

Here's the thing with Jim - it's not that he's constantly in trouble for stuff he said in 1986 or anything. It's just that for the last several years he weekly says incredibly edgy and uncomfortable stuff and then absolutely doubles-down on it on his podcast. 

Dude has zero remorse, constantly acts like he's the victim and attacks people personally when they criticize him, including misogyny and homophobia.

Wildly entertaining guy but probably time to go. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, MADCAP said:

Funny how wrestling fans, who are the absolute worst when it comes to trolling and calling people names online are so offended nowadays. 

If you really think Wrestling fans are the most toxic online community, you're probably a bit too deep in the wrestling fan bubble.

For example, once a One Direction fan tweeted "It's my Birthday tomorrow" to a member of One Direction, and it was randomly the first tweet he saw that day. So he tweeted "Happy Birthday" to her. And then the millions and millions of One Direction fans who had also asked him for birthday messages that he'd missed or ignored got really angry. So they all tweeted at Birthday girl to let her know that she was a slut, a bitch, a whore, an actual prostitute, that her Dad was gay and had Aids, that she deserved to get cancer, that her Mum deserved to get hit by a truck, that she should kill herself, that she deserved to get gang raped by an Asian grooming gang....  and so on.

They all knew she was turning thirteen that day, by the way. They thought he deserved the hatred and bile of hundreds of thousands of people because a famous person took three seconds out of his day to be nice to someone at random. 

Are wrestling fans really worse than that? Really?

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LoneWolf&Subs said:

I have this feeling that even less people watch NXT UK, than NWA Powerrr on this side of the Atlantic. So Tom Phillips comments will be falling on deaf ears.

Edit: Also is @Serious Darius Bagfelt really serious saying Justin Roberts “sucks”. Your standards have to be astronomical to think he isn’t one of the better wrestling ring announcers in the past 20 years. Heck if he continues doing what he’s doing now, then he’d easily be a Top 5er all-time.

No I have no opinion on Justin Roberts. I was paraphrasing Cornette's online non apology for joking that Roberts looks like a child molester

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When New Jack was asked who the three most racist people in the business were in a shoot, it was Vince, Cornette, and the Jarretts. Even though it's New Jack and that involves a lot of drugs and craziness, I'd say he's a pretty good litmus test for "you might be racist if..."

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cornette is now pretty much cancelled and has nothing left.   As much as Corny meant to my fandom, he deserves what he's getting now.

 

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because what this argument needs is Meltzer, it's been noticeable that Dave, who has been friends with the guy for decades and has tried to shrug off so much of this craziness as "he's working a gimmick," basically threw his hands in the air a few months ago too. 

FWIW - I always assumed that Jim on the podcast is just a character, and certainly his commentary on Power is inherently performative, but it's  become clear that a lot of the hatred he spews is real. And, really, whether you agree with his views on wrestling or politics, anyone who gets that angry and that vile at people on the Internet is disturbed.

Like, I HOPE it's all a work and he's not that guy because it's pretty sad otherwise. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The people on here over the last 24 hours. Jesus Christ. Check your heads when you say some of this repugnant bullshit. If it wasn't ComingToAmerica REPEATEDLY denying something didn't happen that actually happened, then it was ComingToAmerica saying some of this bullshit isn't that bad (here's a clue, it is). Or if it's not that, it's this false equivalence from MADCAP, making light of why people would be offended. Or if it isn't that, then it's MORELOCK saying that this would be less offensive if it came from someone else. How tone deaf and insensitive are you people?

What is wrong with you? I really don't get it...Be better. You're all capable of it.

10 minutes ago, Hagan said:

Because what this argument needs is Meltzer, it's been noticeable that Dave, who has been friends with the guy for decades and has tried to shrug off so much of this craziness as "he's working a gimmick," basically threw his hands in the air a few months ago too. 

Well, and to add to this, Cornette cut ties with Meltzer some weeks back because he for some reason thinks Meltzer voted for Trump, which goes to show you 1) That Cornette's concept of reality or truth is vastly different than our actual reality and he would know that if bothered to listen to Meltzer on WOR or WOL and 2) That Cornette is pretty fucking stupid to lack the self-awareness that he's everything that he hates the president for. This shit ain't a gimmick folks. When this person has behaved the same way for years then it's not a gimmick, it's who they are.

Hell, when Cornette had to apologize a couple weeks ago because of the Jim Smallman thing we said Cornette wouldn't learn from this because he can't change who he is and it was a matter of time before he'd be fired.

Whatever. Fuck 'em. He was the worst part of Powerrr. I'll gladly watch more of it with him gone.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, AxB said:

If you really think Wrestling fans are the most toxic online community, you're probably a bit too deep in the wrestling fan bubble.

For example, once a One Direction fan tweeted "It's my Birthday tomorrow" to a member of One Direction, and it was randomly the first tweet he saw that day. So he tweeted "Happy Birthday" to her. And then the millions and millions of One Direction fans who had also asked him for birthday messages that he'd missed or ignored got really angry. So they all tweeted at Birthday girl to let her know that she was a slut, a bitch, a whore, an actual prostitute, that her Dad was gay and had Aids, that she deserved to get cancer, that her Mum deserved to get hit by a truck, that she should kill herself, that she deserved to get gang raped by an Asian grooming gang....  and so on.

They all knew she was turning thirteen that day, by the way. They thought he deserved the hatred and bile of hundreds of thousands of people because a famous person took three seconds out of his day to be nice to someone at random. 

Are wrestling fans really worse than that? Really?

Jesus Christ. What the hell is wrong with people?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...