DVDVR Message Board

2019 NWA Thread

7 hours ago, West Newbury Bad Boy said:

That's not fair. There's got to be at least five minutes of "Um.. Well, you know... It is what it is..."

5 minutes of rambling is putting it mildly. 

And yes, guys decades ago used to say things that were similar or a lot worse. Even a legend like Bobby Heenan got away with a lot in WWF. Just YouTube Bobby Heenan, and while some of its the funniest material ever, there's quite a bit of it that would not fly in 2019. But it's not 1993 anymore.

Cornette's one of the whiniest schmucks on the planet. Even back in his era, wrestling had hokey, silly BS comedy crap. I get that he's unyielding in his belief that wrestling needs to be a simulated version of a real fight, but there's still so many of things in his style of wrestling that wouldn't make sense in a real fight. 

Also, saying things in a stand-up comedy setting or a podcast is not the same as saying it on Twitter or a YouTube show. 

Edited by TheVileOne

1 hour ago, Casey said:

Didn’t Lagana tell Cornette this was the fault of AEW fans?

He did. He's in the cool guy club too.

EDIT: I have simple solution to replace Cornette. What's Don West up to?

Edited by Craig H
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Casey said:

Didn’t Lagana tell Cornette this was the fault of AEW fans?

If Dave Lagana wants to blame AEW fans for Cornette being a moron, I'll gladly take partial credit for Cornette no longer being associated with any promotion running in 2019...until ROH brings him back. It'd only be fitting for Cornette to be back with that shitshow. 

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

This is a weird distinction - why?

To me it's about context. 

Because Twitter is public and YouTube is public and it's easy to find and click on it. I don't mind dark humor or adult jokes. The problem is that some people do. Like I get what James Gunn was doing with his filthy tweets. It was provocateur schtick. Yes I get it. Or that Aristocrats documentary where you try to tell that joke in the most offensive, filthy way possible. Now, if you put the Aristocrats joke on your Twitter account, and you're not a stand-up comedian, some people are going to look at it in isolation and not going to get it. 

Yes, South Park makes a lot of dark edgy jokes about taboo topics. But South Park does it because it's a TV-MA series that airs late at night on Comedy Central. 

Cornette wasn't making these comments during an adult standup comedy set or a late night TV show. 

Edited by TheVileOne

27 minutes ago, TheVileOne said:

To me it's about context. 

Because Twitter is public and YouTube is public and it's easy to find and click on it. I don't mind dark humor or adult jokes. The problem is that some people do. Like I get what James Gunn was doing with his filthy tweets. It was provocateur schtick. Yes I get it. Or that Aristocrats documentary where you try to tell that joke in the most offensive, filthy way possible. Now, if you put the Aristocrats joke on you Twitter joker, and you're not a stand-up comedian, some people are going to look at it in isolation and not going to get it. 

Yes, South Park makes a lot of dark edgy jokes about taboo topics. But South Park does it because it's a TV-MA series that airs late at night on Comedy Central. 

Cornette wasn't making these comments during an adult standup comedy set or a late night TV show. 

That's just it - I don't understand why the reaction would/should be different had Cornette said it in those contexts. If you're going to hold up the comedy stage as a protected place where people can have the freedom to say what they want to in order to test out jokes, that logic could easily extend to YouTube and Twitter. Comedians try their shit out Twitter all the time. Throw up a TV-MA tag in a bio, and bam, problem solved, right?

It sounds to me like you're trying to make the "Comedians say what they want to onstage and that's fine" argument at the same time as you're making the "Twitter and YouTube should be heavily edited and sanitized to be a safe space" argument, when to me those arguments are inherently at odds.

The last 5 pages is essentially the Democrats finally getting a straw from the Trump party in removing him from office and making a huge circus out of it. The IWC vs Cornette has been a cross generational battle.

That said- damn good episode of POWERRRRRR this week. Aldis vs Murdoch was glorious... and I cant think of a more retro act than seeing a cosplay Dick Murdoch.... well, other than ?The Question Mark?.... it's a shame the WWE has a trademark on Who.

Timestamps:
Start - 24:52: Jim Cornette

From today's WOR. I don't know if I can handle this. 

Edit: it's everything you'd think it is and more. And I'm only 19 minutes in. 

Edited by Oyaji

Meltzer had a accurate, fairly concise take on the Cornette situation a couple days ago.  Basically, he said times have changed and Jim Cornette hasn't.

I'd like to give Cornette the benefit of the doubt simply because I liked the Midnight Express gimmick a long time ago, but.... I've listened to his podcast, so no.  Cornette is one of those guys who has turned saying unpleasant, controversial things into a cottage industry while secretly hoping people think it's just him playing a character and cut him slack for it.  Whatever goodwill, second chances or benefits of the doubt he had coming were used up a long time and a lot of controversies ago.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm really not sure what people are hearing in that last podcast that annoys them so much, but I suspect it's,  as per usual, something he didn't actually say. His view is that he didn't mean anything racist by the joke (a view I broadly accept, as does Brian Last - who, like me, was very clear about not liking the joke), but he accepts that some people thought the joke was in bad taste and broadly he'd be more than willing to apologise for a misstep except he doesn't particularly want to kowtow to the idiots. More sympathetic I could not be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ComingToAmerica said:

His view is that he didn't mean anything racist by the joke

See, this right here is bullshit. Cornette is no idiot. He knows the racist connotations behind what he said. He's lived in the South for pretty much his entire life, for fuck's sake. He knew what he was saying.

• Like 4

I know some have commented that he was their least favourite part or think he isn't very good but I gotta disagree. If it weren't for that comment, I thought he was one of the bright spots on the show and one of the best commentators going. He's great if only he wasn't such a prick, but he is.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

I know some have commented that he was their least favourite part or think he isn't very good but I gotta disagree. If it weren't for that comment, I thought he was one of the bright spots on the show and one of the best commentators going. He's great if only he wasn't such a prick, but he is.

Doesn't mean he's irreplaceable but I do agree. In THIS setting, on THIS specific show, Cornette fit in really well. That's one of the things that's so disappointing about his comments. He had a good gig here. But you reap what you sow.

• Like 2

Been playing catch from Episode 3 to Episode 7.

Here are my thoughts (checked for misspellings):

I really like how much everything bleeds into everything else. Like for example Ricky Starks has his beef with Aaron Stevens but he also let Colt Cabana know he was eyeing the belt.

And of course the can Kamille speak for herself Stuff is really fucking cool. All these people are gunning for Aldis and his title, Joe Gallo sticking his nose where it doesn’t belong. Kamille seemingly being connected to everyone gunning for Aldis title plus Bram. Where is it all going? We don’t know yet. I have a feeling it ends with Kamille costing Aldis the strap but to who IDK. Smart Money would be on Eli Drake. That dude has been cutting money promos I never seen him in TNA/Impact but he’s been fucking fire stirring the shit between everyone and has slowly been turning heel and that attack on Anderson had to solidify that fact. Eli as cocky heel champ with Kamille by his side could be fun. After the rematch with Aldis they have a feud between Anderson and Drake already established with that beat down. Anderson returning on the second day of the tapings to start the build for the next PPV could be a cool program.

There’s so much shit I’m really digging on this program. Aaron Stevens is an excellent heel in this atmosphere. Stroke Daddy has been really good as the ambitious up and comer. What a great establishing feud for Starks. Then he can go on to take the National Championship from either James Storm or Colt Cabana whoever walks out of that feud champion.

That two out of three falls match was really fucking good. The match they had the week before was awesome too. Stevens is just way too cocky he just lets his hubris get the best of him by constantly underestimating the stroke daddy.

That 2/3 falls was set up perfectly with Ricky getting the pin fast and then the second fall being the wrestling match. That look on Stevens’ face when he realizes this isn’t gonna be a walk in the park he imagined. Ricky Starks can go. When the feud with Stevens is over I’d imagine he sets his sights for The National Championship rather quickly. He could be the first homegrown star.

Also the tag division with the four way feud between the Wild Cards Outlaw INC The Dawson’s and Rock n Roll has been surprisingly a lot of fun. The promos have been crazy and the action has been chaotic. They’ve just been beating the shit out of each other. The Dawson’s and Outlaw especially, just destroying each other. The Dawson’s are really ducking cool just old school nasty ass kickers. Never heard of them before they’ve came out of nowhere and have really stole the show for me.

I know this is old school and traditional wrestling but a four way for the Tag Straps at the PPV with Rock n Roll picking up the victory only to have their lunch eaten by The Dawson’s to lose the belts at the Tapings is what I would do. Then the Dawson’s go on a four or five month reign of tag team terror. Outlaw Inc win the Crockett Cup in April if that’s when they run it then, Kingston-Homicide win the cup get a title shot and finally beat The Dawson’s and win the Straps.

The ThunderRosa and Marti Belle and now Malina vs Alyson Kay has been really cool. The slow build to it of Marti wanting to prove to her friend, Kay she was on par, Kay being like yeah I don’t think so, Marti coming up short in that awesome match with Ashley Vox on episode 4, ThunderRosa coming to her aid, Kay starting to public ally reprimanded Marti Thunder attacking Kay Marti turning on Kay, Marti said Kay was her BFF too many times for me to believe her, finding out Thunder isn’t the ring leader there’s a “Phoenix” who rose from the ashes who was causin all this, then Melina shows up and they all three lay out Kay. Really good storytelling. Simple but effective.

Showing that footage of ThunderRosa competing in MMA that was really cool. Makes Thunder that much more badass and credible I hope they do that every time she has a fight win or loose. 

Also the music that plays when that Malina Thunder Marti group is in the ring is really cool music. That drum beat it’s awesome I love it.

Tim Storm has been a highlight on the show, he’s the heart and soul if you ask me those early  Ten Pounds of Golds worked cuz Tim Storm comes across as likable on camera and has been around so long you couldn’t help but get behind him. I’ve noticed During these past two years of the Corgan Era is that Tim Storm is the hardest person on himself he’s honest but he can also be hard. He is taking not getting another title shot ever like one would. Tim Storms whole journey since losing the title is to one day get it back. He always got close but was aww shucksed every time. Then it happens again and it’s over. Aldis giving him the pep talk that was some good shit the two of them have a mutual respect for each other. Tim Storm could be a super baby face too the Franchise player, he could be semi main for ever in this current incarnation of the NWA.

The Question Mark almost should become the next NWA World Heavyweight Champion. I’m being serious he’s so over with that studio crowd he’s infectious. It’s great. I hope sooner rather then later Trevor Murdoch starts putting the pieces together that he beat Josephus rather soundly then two weeks later The Question Mark shows, makes it his own personal duty to expose Josephus as the Question Mark but the Question Mark keeps his mask every time.

We are two weeks away and there’s no card for Into The Fire Announced yet very ECW of them. I have my reservations over a PPV in a television studio in front of 250 people I’m sure I’ll be proven wrong.

The main event I’m not really sure who Aldis defends the title against although the argument could be made that Eli Drake said day one he wants a title shot. Everyone that also wanted a title shot is out of the picture, Tim Storm can’t challenge shit he doesn’t even know if he’s gonna do it anymore, Colt and Storm are busy trading the National Championship with each other, and Anderson has been taken out by Drake himself. Drakes the only one left he should get the title shot. Unless Trevor Murdoch with his performance against Aldis gets into the fray or The Question Mark did his popularity bumps Drake and gets a title shot. Drake makes the most sense to me. I think he should win but by shenanigans. I think either Kamille turns on Aldis or Tim Storm turns on Aldis or Kamille is about to turn on Aldis and Tim turns on Aldis before she can then she pretends like she wasn’t gonna turn, continuing to silently pull the strings in the main event scene. Storm can reason that Aldis not champ any more means Tim Storm can challenge Drake for the title but Aldis those in the rematch clause and it’s decided they will have a match where the winner gets a title shot.

I did the roster it’s small but there’s familiar enough names mixed in with some relative unknowns. Everyone busts there ass and puts in the best shoe possible there’s a united front. Everyone whose there feels like they were met to be there 

You can tell who Corgan’s friends were in TNA with Anderson, Drake, James Storm, Allison Kay, Kingston. Homicide and Bram on the roster. I found myself asking “when’s Jay Bradley showing up” while watching the show.

Jim Cornette I enjoyed him in the position but he could have said party sub instead of bucket of chicken he could have said North Korean instead of Ethiopia. But he didn’t. The line was in poor taste. He said it in 95 so he’s a hack to boot. Jim Cornette really lives his gimmick by throwing a temper tantrum over being reprimanded. He could still have a job if he apologized for any misunderstandings and unintentional offense and moved on with a job.

Edited by Web Conn
  • Like 3