DVDVR Message Board

2019 NWA Thread

Muta really shouldn't be wrestling anymore.  He was unable to walk without a heavy limp headed around the place, he looked 80.  Still one of the collest mofos ever in the room, and I will appreciate everything he did, but it pained me to see him like this.

At least it's his knee and not something worse.

9 time! 9 time!. Cool moment for the Rock n Rolls. Other than that, not much to this episode similar to last week. Ending reveal was kinda cool. PPV doesn't look too great but hope it turns out well for them.

Edited by DreamBroken

That thank you Cornette bit sounds like them trying to work both sides, look we fired him because you bitched about him and look, we totally respect him because you bitch about us firing him. I can't see this going down well with either side and maybe NWA should grow a spine and pick a side.

Other than that it was better episode, but I'll just go back to what I said after the first or second episode, I don't see a hook:
I can see that with the guys that they have running Aldis/James Storm as main event makes sense, but it could have been built up way better. Now, build itself sounds ok to me, Storm is annoying asshole and Aldis wants to teach him a lesson. Ok, but that to me sounds more like a title defence for an episode and not for PPV.
Tag titles rematch makes sense, but maybe Kingston and Homicide should have been involved in this somehow. At the moment it looks like a match to put Wild Cards over and its like, who cares.
National title, didn't Aron defeat Ricky on this episode? So why is this triple threat? I probably missed something here. Won't be surprised if Colt doesn't want to put anyone over and it will be his last match in NWA.
Drake vs Anderson sounds like it builds from that unaired match that James Storm got involved in since their other interactions wouldn't really warrant it, I think. But since it didn't air and I saw nothing of it I don't really care. I hope that Drake tries to do Burning Hammer again for a 2 count.
Women's match looks like a clusterfuck and I really hate that Thunder Rosa was pushed back for Melina.
Funny enough, Murdoch vs Question Mark is the only match that I have zero problems with. Perfectly fine opener.

Looking at that tweet posted earlier it sounds like Muta is likely to appear for the post PPV tapings. Is the plan here to get everyone who was connected to original NWA and is still somewhat mobile? Doesn't inspire much confidence.

9 hours ago, alstein said:

I feel sorry for the Dawsons if they're big break is ruined by Cornette and asshatery, the Dawsons are good people.  Aldis seems really good as well.

Hopefully the Dawsons land on Dynamite or at least Fusion, though I know that's unlikely.

I try to avoid Cornette's rants so I'm not sure what happened regarding the Dawsons.  Was it something where they left out of loyalty to Cornette or something else.

Nothing happened to them, but I think the NWA is going to go under, and that was the big break for the Dawsons.

Saw them this weekend, they were probably the nicest folks in the building.  Really good people, the whole family.   (Salina De La Renta is also incredibly nice, esp to younger fans- Eric Embry was really nice too, and heard some interesting things about his career from him)

Edited by alstein

1 hour ago, alstein said:

Nothing happened to them, but I think the NWA is going to go under, and that was the big break for the Dawsons.

I know there's been a lot of blowback from Cornette defenders but I can't foresee them going under anytime soon.  As long as The Dawsons are still with NWA then I think they're fine for the time being.  And for all we know Billy might have enough fuck money around to keep this thing afloat no matter what.

• Like 1

Issue is not really Cornette defenders (thou they obviously don't help), but that it looks like two episodes have been derailed by it and PPV build likely suffered due to it as well. NWA is not in a position where staying as they are is fine, they need to grow in order to become a viable promotion.

Stu is also not necessarily the person I would have gotten to replace Jim. Keeping with the the retro feel, i would have tried t9 get someone like Dutch, although I wonder if there would be baggage from his last wwe character. 

ep9 thoughts:

this was the "season finale"? what about next week? you know, the last show before the PPV?
where was the wrestling? last week had only the empty arena match, this only had Aron Stevens/Ricky Starks and the Tag Title match, neither went over 5 minutes. 
i liked Aldis' promo hyping up the match with James Storm, but the rest of the build up has been extremely meh.  Melina has, thus far, brought nothing to the table.
why aren't they showing the triple threat #1 contenders match? is it only because Cornette is on commentary, because that's insane. he did commentary on this episode!
Question Mark is still the highlight, and honestly that's just a ridiculous statement to begin with.

my wife caught part of this episode with me and was dumbfounded at the waffles & tire iron commercial. 

i was fully on board after the first 1-2-3 weeks, but it's like this show has fallen off a cliff.

11 hours ago, NikoBaltimore said:

I know there's been a lot of blowback from Cornette defenders but I can't foresee them going under anytime soon.  As long as The Dawsons are still with NWA then I think they're fine for the time being.  And for all we know Billy might have enough fuck money around to keep this thing afloat no matter what.

Billy blew 1.8 million on TNA which he got paid back lucky for him so he will spend some money.  He said somewhere the merchandise sales surprised him but he's Billy Corgan not a member of the Khan family so he knows he can't tape TV and spend forever unless this thing grows a bit.  But when you are holding your PPV in the same venue you shoot TV in it says to me they don't expect to draw bigger crowds that the dedicated handful

• Like 1

The clip show wasn’t bad. The placing of The PPV hype show, weeks away from the PPV is odd. Shouldn't this have been on the week before the PPV to promote the show? The Cornette thing doesn’t help as this was the show right after the firing. The perception is that this was thrown together to keep Cornette off of TV with the clip show. This show was doesn’t look thrown together I think it was in the can before the Cornette firing but the coincidence is just early fucking it’s just bad timing dude. 

Eli Drakes promo from CWFH was cool. Eli can cut a promo dude that’s for certain. He’s gonna be chasing the Title for awhile that’s my take away from that promo. Eli was all that drive, hunger and passion it’s boiling over inside as rage, he’s gonna have a breaking point and go full heel before he wins the title. 

Also I’m happy to see them use footage from CWFH. The NWA Hollywood clips of Eli’s beginnings was really cool and a good way of establishing Eli as being NWA to the core he started in the NWA now he’s back. They have some footage due to the partnership with Marquez. I’m glad to see them use it. But who was Eli’s old tag partner? He was in just as much of the older NWA Hollywood footage as much as Eli.

The Thunder Rosa MMA vignettes were on of my favorite things from the show. The character development was through the charts. We got to know Thunder Rosa, feel for her, relate to her, all while following her the day before her first Pro MMA fight. It was simple but affective and it made Thunder Rosa a super face in my eyes. Like Hogan 80’s over brother. I’m gonna pop huge when she wins the Women’s Championship. The big fuck up and maybe not a fuck up but a misstep is probably not running Kay vs Rosa for the title after airing these. We’ll see maybe there’s bigger plans, Rosa could pin Kay at the PPV then gets the shot at the next PPV whenever that is. 

I forgot to mention it in the last time I rambled about the show but I love the fuck out of the Tim & Eric-esque commercials they run.

The Empty arena match wasn’t bad. May have been better with some better build and I but if context. Stevens explained it in the promo that the empty arena match is punishment for the Ricky Starks attack. With Marquez in the interview referring to this as the main event plus the stip of Mask vs. Shakespeare I wonder if there was an episode planned that built around this match as the main event. Was there a ringside interview with Stevens and QM where the Dawson’s come out and it almost came to blows? We may never know feels like it to me. My imagination is running wild. Maybe this was suppose to be the main to episode 8, maybe episode 8 was to be a regular show with this as the main and that phantom triple threat number one contenders match. Then Cornette pulled a Cornette and made a situation worse.

If that truly is the case they would have been way better off running the show the way they intended before Dumbass got fired. Just put a disclaimer up before the broadcast. “the views expressed by dumb fuck don’t reflect the views blah blah blah”. And moved on with it. Or if they really wanted to wag their hands if Cornette which the RnR celebration from the next week conflicts with that thought the least they could have done was air the triple threat number one contenders match with redubbed commentary by Galli like they did here and just scrapped the empty arena match.

Now the actual match, wasn’t much of a match was it. I guess the Dawson’s reading Shakespeare was funny but idk this seemed out of place. Stevens puking as they read it and the Dawson’s recited it really good that was the twist the Dawson’s read Shakespeare well.

Malina’s sit down interview was really good. I thought it was a great reintroduction to her. She’s back in wrestling more importantly she’s in the NWA for a reason and it’s to come after Alison Kay and dethrone her. Kay vs Melina/Rosa/Belle could be really good. They are really making the most out of the small women’s roster they have. There’s five women and 3 of them are in a stable together. Hopefully they introduce some more women at the next set of TV Tapings.

Why in the hell did they not run that Triple Threat? Seriously? The NWA is presenting itself as an old school promotion with contemporary updates. You would think that a promotion like they would emphasize earning your title shots. James Storm lost to Cabana clean on TV he lost the National Championship he needs a reason to be facing Aldis and winning that Triple Threat was it. If I was Lagana (and I’m not this isn’t a Fat Spanish Waitress situation) I would have edited this show or re-edited this show building to the Triple Threat on who is going to face Aldis at the PPV. I’d still do a clip show but have Galli announce at the beginning of the show, throw to promos from all 3 competitors through out the show, ditch the empty arena match and call it a day.

This show wasn’t bad. All I want to know is who dropped the ball on not airing the match that sets up the main event to your first PPV? Into the Fire looks solid I have my reserves over running 3 hour PPV in the TV studio. Doesn’t Center Stage hold like 700 or something like that? There’s a rich wrestling history in that building the type of history Corgan wants to tap into. Maybe they try to run the Next PPV at Center Stage. Are they running a PPV after every TV Taping Run? We gonna have a PPV every two months? I could get behind that.

• Like 1