Jump to content
DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD


RIPPA
 Share

Recommended Posts

Watching "Master of None" and there's a throwaway bit where the main character (played by Aziz Ansari) goes on a date with a socially inept WWE fan. She asks if he watched SummerSlam where Dean Ambrose and Samoa Joe fought for the WWE Championship. Surprised to see the writers reference Joe and Ambrose, I would've thought that they'd go for a lazy "John Cena vs. Randy Orton" or "John Cena vs. The Miz." 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RazorbladeKiss87 said:

I'm sorry if someone posted about this but is anyone having problems logging into the F4W/Observer site?

Yesterday they definitely had server problems as they even posted a message on the board saying server issues weere preventing people from logging in (I ran into the issue when trying to catch up on the radio shows)

It is possible they started up again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Today I learned that Dick Murdoch had a deal with Coors Lite where they gave him a Coors Lite corporate card to go around to bars and shill their product by buying everyone Coors Lite. And that he somehow convinced Vince McMahon to hire him in the early-90s for some house shows against Razor Ramon so that Razor could have someone who he could exchange punches with b/c Backlund (who Razor had primarily been working with) didn't throw punches and that was hindering their matches. Dick Murdoch must've been one hell of a persuasive guy.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, The Nature Boy said:

Watching "Master of None" and there's a throwaway bit where the main character (played by Aziz Ansari) goes on a date with a socially inept WWE fan. She asks if he watched SummerSlam where Dean Ambrose and Samoa Joe fought for the WWE Championship. Surprised to see the writers reference Joe and Ambrose, I would've thought that they'd go for a lazy "John Cena vs. Randy Orton" or "John Cena vs. The Miz." 

That's down to Aziz's brother, who is a big wrestling fan. He was also responsible for the CM Punk bit at the food truck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/23/2017 at 0:17 AM, Burgundy LaRue said:

 Not sure what he was thinking with that shirt, but Roman tends to dress well for TV appearances and does small talk just fine.

Cena tends to dress no better, if plaids drives one away:

9ff51cc0216009ce6557f24535dbdd3b.jpg

FTR: I'm not saying what Roman was wearing on this particular day looked good.  But I wouldn't use Cena as the barometer of fine men's clothing to judge it.  Titus O'Neil and Miz are the two guys who consistently get it right, and I'd wager they actually know how to coordinate their own wardrobes.

That honestly looks like Lance Catamaran's jacket.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Per Meltzer in the new WON - the WWE has decided that they want New Day to become the most decorated tag team in their history

Quote

A new idea for New Day, and this may explain their quickie title win and loss this past week, is to not only make them the longest reigning tag team champions in WWE history, which they are, but to establish them as the so-called greatest tag team of all-time down the line by holding the titles more times than any team in history. Right now they have three title reigns. The record would be the Hardys and Edge & Christian, who each have seven title reigns..

Obviously there is some of their playing loose and fast with their definitions since they made a big deal about the Dudleys going for 10 when they had come back 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, cwoy2j said:

Today I learned that Dick Murdoch had a deal with Coors Lite where they gave him a Coors Lite corporate card to go around to bars and shill their product by buying everyone Coors Lite. And that he somehow convinced Vince McMahon to hire him in the early-90s for some house shows against Razor Ramon so that Razor could have someone who he could exchange punches with b/c Backlund (who Razor had primarily been working with) didn't throw punches and that was hindering their matches. Dick Murdoch must've been one hell of a persuasive guy.

From what I understand, that was Scott Hall's idea. The reasoning for being able to trade punches with Murdoch is spot on. Hall also said he requested this as a show of thanks to Murdoch for mentoring him in Japan years earlier 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, caley said:

Interesting

"Biggest action movie of the year" is a bit of a stretch.  I'm guessing "star" is, as well.

20 minutes ago, The Nature Boy said:

Hearing that about Murdoch, I'm surprised that Stone Cold Steve Austin never got an endorsement deal with a beer brand during the Attitude Era. 

Wait... you mean Steveweiser wasn't a real beer?  That explains why I could never find it in stores.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

"Biggest action movie of the year" is a bit of a stretch.  I'm guessing "star" is, as well.

Wait... you mean Steveweiser wasn't a real beer?  That explains why I could never find it in stores.

They qualify the "Biggest action movie of the year" by saying it is the "highest-grossing single territory movie of they year" so it made enough money in China to outpace stuff like 'Guardians...' and 'Wonder Woman' in the US.  So, technically, it can sort of fit the criteria for "Biggest action movie of the year".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let me pause to give credit to Wolf Warrior II. It's not only the best single territory gross of the year, it's the second best of all-time, behind only the North American* run of The Force Awakens, having just passed Avatar's NA run.

It's closing in on $770 million in China alone, while having done only about $4 million outside of it's homeland. 

And it's reported budget is only $30 million, making it one of the all-time champions for return on investment.

That said, The Fate of the Furious is the biggest action movie of the year.

*Strangely, North America only means the US and Canada.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...