DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION THREAD

RIPPA

They're too busy trying to have the biggest list of TV affiliates in the country and possibly compete with the other 24 hour news channels. Just what we need, another one.

53 minutes ago, Technico Support said:

I LOL'd.

I've known people who have worked for Sinclair on the TV side and none of them ever suffered for a lack of stories of Sinclair's cheapness.  So don't ever start your "10,000 drawing show" ideas with "first, Sinclair has to lay out some cash."

For what it's worth, they bought the CBS affiliate here and I have a couple friends there. Neither of them complain and it all sounds like business as usual.

THAT SAID, Sinclair also bought out the Fox affiliate here and those employees, including broadcast talent, were either brought on board with the CBS (WSBT) station, let go, or given a retirement package. Those people I'm guessing aren't as happy.

But hey, we get ROH now, so that's something...

8 minutes ago, Mike Zeidler said:

Sinclair bought them 2 years ago, 3 months after they shut my station down.  Give it a few more years.

We'll see, but they also have a state of the art and brand spanking new studio and offices. I'm not saying it won't happen, but to me, and I guess my naivete, it seems dumb to get cheap when you have all of this new shit.

45 minutes ago, Craig H said:

We'll see, but they also have a state of the art and brand spanking new studio and offices. I'm not saying it won't happen, but to me, and I guess my naivete, it seems dumb to get cheap when you have all of this new shit.

They shut us down 8 months after building us a new set and retrofitting our entire control room.  New switcher, audio board, cameras, lights, everything.  Why did they shut us down? To secure an extra .005¢/share profit for Q3 of the fiscal year while they launched a new network.

• Sad 1

Im actually surprised they haven't used Sam Adonis more, I mean he could garner actual heel heat on the US Indie scene. I'm surprised they don't use the CMLL talent as much as they should. I mean they didn't do Field of Honor this year cuz they couldn't figure out a date with the stadium in Brooklyn. If I was ROH I'd of went to the minor league stadium in El Paso and stacked the card with CMLL stars.

8 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

After this weekends fight, half the people I know apparently went to a party to watch the thing. This got me thinking that WWE would be better served to do WM on a Saturday night. I'm pretty sure the Sunday thing was a traditional PPV night thing only, and it would make it better for other countries to watch it. I think they would end up getting more eyeballs and for 10 bucks (or free trial), more people signing  up for the network.

Yes please.

Right now PPV shows start at about 11am on a Monday so I usually miss everything, catch some of the last hour during my lunch break and then come on here to see what's worth going back to see. Put that show on a Saturday in the US - Sunday my time - and I'll sit down a watch it all live.

• Like 1

By Dave Meltzer and Joseph Currier

WWE officials have confirmed that Xavier Woods will be undergoing a medical evaluation today for an apparent left knee injury that he suffered during Monday's SmackDown brand house show in Texarkana, Arkansas.

News of the injury appeared on social media as soon as it happened last night. A video of it was later tweeted out, with it showing Woods immediately grabbing his left knee when being put down by one of the Usos after going for a tornado DDT.

Woods rolled to the apron and eventually out of the ring. The match went to its finish, then Big E, Fandango, and Kofi Kingston motioned for medical attention as Woods continued to grab his knee. The video ends with referee Charles Robinson putting up the "X" symbol.

Woods had to be carried to the back by Kingston, Big E, and a WWE physician after the match was over and was clearly in great pain. Woods tweeted "....cool." after the injury happened. He later replied to the video of it by writing, "Didn't even look cool."

The New Day (Woods & Kingston) were facing The Usos and Breezango in a triple threat tag title match when Woods' injury happened.

4 hours ago, Technico Support said:

I've known people who have worked for Sinclair on the TV side and none of them ever suffered for a lack of stories of Sinclair's cheapness.  So don't ever start your "10,000 drawing show" ideas with "first, Sinclair has to lay out some cash."

*Raises hand*

"You've got to spend money to make money" is a saying Sinclair takes as a personal challenge.

And FWIW, for those worried about Sinclair taking over in your area, it's not like "Everything Sinclair touches turns to Republican."  I can't speak for every station, but mine is probably the most liberal in the market and our audience skewers younger and WAY more liberal.  And for the most part corporate leaves us alone.  Except for those fucking must-runs...

16 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

Just wait till they realize they can use ROH to help spread their political propaganda.  Are you ready for Sam Adonis, ROH champion?

I'd at least watch the show more often than I do now.  Cody Rhodes is zzzzzzzzzz for me.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sydneybrown said:

*Raises hand*

"You've got to spend money to make money" is a saying Sinclair takes as a personal challenge.

And FWIW, for those worried about Sinclair taking over in your area, it's not like "Everything Sinclair touches turns to Republican."  I can't speak for every station, but mine is probably the most liberal in the market and our audience skewers younger and WAY more liberal.  And for the most part corporate leaves us alone.  Except for those fucking must-runs...

So you run them at what, 3 am?

Update on Xavier Woods injury

Though he hurt his left knee at SmackDown's house show on Monday night, it appears that Xavier Woods has gotten relatively good news on his injury.

Woods was asked about the injury during a live stream on his UpUpDownDown YouTube channel yesterday and revealed that he suffered an MCL sprain. Becky Lynch, who was part of the broadcast, said that she had the same injury recently and recovered after about a month of wrestling through it.

How soon Woods would be able to return would depend on the severity of the sprain. He was on SmackDown despite the injury last night and accompanied Big E & Kofi Kingston for their match against The Usos. He wore a knee brace and a sign that said "It's sore" during their entrance.

Woods also tweeted last night that the injury was an MCL sprain. Dave Meltzer noted that Woods was set to undergo a medical evaluation yesterday, which likely would have happened before SmackDown.

1 hour ago, Mickie Zeidler said:

Hey, speaking of Sinclair's... thriftiness, I think the new "Ring" of Honor came about because they didn't want to have to pay for new belts anymore.

Wait, the Ring is replacing the Belts?  I thought they were just fluffing Cody.

If Sinclair operates like they do in many areas(like here, where we had a 30 minute sitdown one random Saturday with notorious pseudo-historian David Barton) they shove their packaged Info Wars wannabe disasters into the Evening News since they're testing for a full network rollout last I read about it. They're using people most think are nuts regardless of viewpoints. Stupid anti-trust laws not being enforced harshly. Sam Adonis would be perfect for this.

Also, it's good to see Rippa so lazy and surly, just like a teamster.

v8UdF.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Little blurb thrown into the newest WON (and written in the most Dave way possible)

Regarding Corbin and his losing the briefcase and having the lackluster match with Cena, that had nothing to do with Cena, well, the match had to do with Cena as his dance partner, but his fortunes falling temporarily was not Cena related. It also had nothing to do with Twitter, although the Twitter stuff did him no favors, particularly with a lot of the wrestlers because it’s considered bad form to go on a blocking spree of your fellow wrestlers. It was an entirely different situation outside the ring that happened a few weeks ago that happened

Doesn't Dave have a proof reader or editor?  I'm assuming the job is tough to fill, with a high suicide rate.

Seriously, though, I do remember an awesome response from Dave to such criticism, which boiled down to: fuck you.  You try to find a good editor that works 3am on Wednesdays.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1