DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

I hope Del Rio writes a book one day. I know it would be a very one-sided version of his career but he has to have some interesting stories to tell with all the ups and downs he has gone through. No idea what happened to him this WWE run and they started big with him beating Cena and quickly he became just another wrestler.

I think this second Del Rio run was literally just pay him a bunch of money to get him off of TV for Lucha Underground and AAA and to get him to shut up about how he was fired for slapping around a racist who worked for the company

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RIPPA said:

Per Meltzer - Alberto Del Rio has been pulled from all events after his 30 days suspension is up

So you can see where that is going

He better hurry if he wants to be in Elite before they implode. 

22 hours ago, (BP) said:

"Bitch please, you're all afraid The Miz and R-Truth are going to beat you up."

I'm a bit late with my fantasy booking, but I've always felt they should have had Big Show and Mark Henry end their feud, join forces, and step into that role. That would have been a team that could believably require the super team of Rock and Cena to beat.

13 hours ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Most probably, and I am glad for that, but his condition has not been officially updated. It was touch and go there for a while. My snarky point is that no amount of money can make up for an injury like that. The original post I responded to seemed rather flip about the discussion of worker's rights and to compare the happiness material possessions bring without considering the loss of an athlete's own instrument -his body- is facile and unempathetic.  I am also certain that while the WWE is taking care of Mr. Tyson, as independant contractors the workers have no true assurances or legal guarantees of support due to these accidents. Not arguing, but I was enjoying the relatively sober debate there for a while. I am pro-unionization, but doubt it will ever happen (for the reasons discussed above) and I could foresee it killing the business barring some great business model shift.

- on the serious tip,

RAF

My comment was more based at the fact that people think the wrestlers are struggling financially when, in fact, that is not the case.  They live good lives outside of the ring.  Most live in Florida, Nevada, and Arizona for tax reasons.

Unionization would not hurt the WWE that much initially but it would destroy the independent scene which would feed up to the WWE in a decade or so.

That goes to a larger issue facing sports today.  Under the professional level guys are pushed to be athletes without properly learning the sport.  This goes from the minors all the way down to the kid levels where they are playing in traveling leagues.  It is part of a much larger discussion regarding how we treat kids and force them along a path hoping they make the professional level because the kids are independent contractors as well at the whims of the NCAA, shoe companies, etc.

Kids are blowing their arms out as teens and not learning to shoot jump shots.

Meltzer said Striker and Hugo were bad on the Triplemania english commentary, but I found them to be quite enjoyable. I am not even a Striker fan but I'll give the devil his due. I'm halfway thru Triplemania and so far it's a very easy and fun show to watch. 

Next up I am watching a DDT show with like 15 or so matches on the card. Insomnia sucks but an all night wrestling binge will be my consolation.

Feel for Finn:

balorshoulder.jpg?itok=H1l7BMmA

In a series of tweets on Sunday afternoon, Finn Balor opened up about the labrum tear that forced him to vacate the WWE Universal Championship.

Balor said that he knew the injury was serious the moment he got powerbombed into the barricade by Seth Rollins at SummerSlam, and the severity of it was confirmed after hours of scans.

He noted that surgery was more complicated than expected, but vowed to make a comeback. Balor's tweets are compiled (with paragraph breaks and minor formatting changes added) below:

"What a rollercoaster week. I woke up the morning of SummerSlam with nothing but positivity & feeling physically better than ever. The moment I got injured I knew it was serious, it was an instinctive reaction to pull on my wrist, I entered survival mode.

When the bell rang, I had won, I was the Champion, but I was reluctant to celebrate as I already knew in my heart what awaited at Raw. Disappointed yes, but I was CHAMPION and I was not missing an opportunity to fulfill my duty and appear on @GMA Monday morning.

After hours of scans & despite some hope, the worst was confirmed at 5 pm Monday. I would need surgery ASAP & relinquish the title on Raw. The most difficult part of relinquishing the title was when I came back through the curtain and I was over come by a feeling of inadequacy. Despite every emotion I had felt the previous 24 hours... I was still the CHAMPION. That gave me strength. Now I was not....

Tuesday at 3 am I traveled to Birmingham, Alabama. Dr. Dugas prepped me for surgery as a photo of Seth Rollins watched over us. What was supposed to be a 1 hr surgery turned into 4 hrs, as once I was opened up, the Dr. found a lot more to the injury the the scans showed. 180* labrum tear, torn bicep, pectoral tendon cartilage damage, and fracture to the glenoid neck socket (I have it in a jar on my dresser).

Wednesday morning at 5 am I awake after the surgery groggy and sore. The gravity of the situation began to set in. Rehab will start at 9 am. Thursday 5 am fly back to Orlando, check-in with Performance Center medical staff & we begin planning The Comeback."

Balor also talked about the surgery in a video on WWE's YouTube account earlier this week, saying that it may take at least six months of rehabilitation to heal. The video is available to watch below:

Credit: f4wonline.com

I'm sticking with the phrase "Don't feed the trolls"  He's loving the attention he's getting over this and it is just sad that a grown man can be so happy for that.  Hopefully this dies down and he goes back to being a mere irrelevant ass.

• Like 1

One one hand, people who pull the "hurrrr hurrr that shit is fake" insult in 2016 are morons.  It reminds me of the (now deceased) radio host I worked with a few times who often bragged about outing Sgt. Slaughter as not being a real Marine.  Damn, next thing you'll tel me is Lazor Tron wasn't really from the future.

On the other hand, the blame for the general public thinking wrestling is trash entertainment for children and retards falls solely on the heads of promoters who tried to keep up the con long past the point of credulity.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Matt D said:

https://vid.me/JTj3

Found this for an argument elsewhere and cross posting here. Kevin Owens' finest WWE moment?

It's up there. It's perfect heel logic because he's absolutely correct here, but he's still correct via skewed heel logic ("which only sold out because I'm in the main event!"). 

Plus, calling Full Sail fans the John Cena of pro wrestling fans probably actually gave one of those chumps in the crowd a stroke, it's so cutting. 

EDIT: I went over and saw the argument that you were discussing, and it's pretty incoherent. It also sort of misses the motivation for why modern hardcore fans act as they do, I think. However, it really reveals why Owens should be a main-eventer in this company (which is part of why you posted this clip, I think). He's a genuine heel that can garner heel heat almost at will if he needs to. That is quite valuable in modern-day WWE, where modern fan thinking is that kayfabe is dead, so what value or sense is there in pretending to hate a heel that I actually really like and have an emotional attachment to after having followed his career for many years pre-WWE?

The idea that hardcore fans just love to have hate-boners for everything is absurd on its face after thinking for two seconds about how 2013 New Japan or 2015 NXT or both seasons of Lucha Underground were received by those very same fans. 

• Like 1