DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

1 hour ago, JohnnyJ said:

The professional athlete argument is not apt because while athletes may hold out or whine over money, it's largely posturing. They're not actually planning on walking away because that's how they make a living. 

The NFL, NBA, and NHL have all had lockouts in the last 15 years, so I don't know about that. The real difference is the lack of collective bargaining for wrestlers. Even if they had a union as good as the shitty NFL one, they'd be exponentially better off.

There was one glimmer of hope.

"Okay guys, we're doing a walkout angle, so we'll need everyone lined up in gorilla at the start of the show."

"Whoa. What are we walking out over? Our contractor status? Healthcare?"

"Bitch please, you're all afraid The Miz and R-Truth are going to beat you up."

• Like 8

My guess is they do a no contest, Orton gets a visual victory that makes Brock look amazing (2-3 punt kicks after a few chairshots/RKOs?), puts him out in storyline sense till whenever, and then costs Orton his spot in the Rumble. Keeps Orton looking credible and justifies why Lesnar isn't around for a little while, whilst saving us from a Shane/Lesnar series.

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

How much he makes isn't important.  Being classified as an independent contractor, but being treated like an employee, and losing a big chunk of it to things your employer should cover but doesn't because they're sleazy, is a bad thing.  If you made 500K but lost a major piece of it to trans, road expenses, health insurance, etc., you'd be a little salty over it, too.  Read the list of employee characteristics that @joseph2112 posted.  It's sad.  These guys are absolutely employees of WWE.  Vince is having his cake and eating it too.

You see these arguments in sports fandom all the time.  If a player complains, there are always fans who say, "that guy's a millionaire, fuck him!"  Meanwhile that player's being screwed by billionaires. 

A lot of those expenses are tax deductible.  When you look at the house Natalya and TJ bought it is hard to feel sorry for them.  They are doing pretty well for themselves.

38 minutes ago, evilwaldo said:

A lot of those expenses are tax deductible.  When you look at the house Natalya and TJ bought it is hard to feel sorry for them.  They are doing pretty well for themselves.

Except for the snapped neck part, it's a very nice house. Nothing ruins the clean lines of a Colonial entrance way like a wheelchair ramp, dammit. Even a good CPA can't fix that.

- RAF

• Like 5

Best idea or worst idea:  Ed Leslie returns to WWE under his "Booty Man" persona, where the New Day heroically and weekly fends him off as if he were the Noid or a Cavity Creep.

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, Wyld Samurai said:

Bret's contract he signed in 96 to return to the WWF was for 1m/year... and they couldn't afford that a year later. 

The money these guys make these days is unreal compared to 20 years ago... and these guys can barely put a match together. 

That Bret contract was before the company raised a bunch of cash by going public. 

Their market cap, profitability, etc, are far beyond what they were in 1996. 

It is wild that Ryback claims that he was offered 500K a year and Bret was only making 650K a year adjusted for inflation. If Ryback is telling the truth, then based on that extremely small sample size, salaries have risen a considerable degree even with little competition. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Dog said:

Best idea or worst idea:  Ed Leslie returns to WWE under his "Booty Man" persona, where the New Day heroically and weekly fends him off as if he were the Noid or a Cavity Creep.

Only if someone in the crowd yells out again for Beefcake to kill himself. Otherwise, I'll pass. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dog said:

...he's then revealed to really be The Disciple, sent by Hogan because he believes Brooke is secretly dating Xavier. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thee Reverend Axl Future said:

Except for the snapped neck part, it's a very nice house. Nothing ruins the clean lines of a Colonial entrance way like a wheelchair ramp, dammit. Even a good CPA can't fix that.

- RAF

Nice hyperbole.

He is walking and has to be careful but he is not wheelchair bound like your statement makes him out to be.

5 hours ago, evilwaldo said:

Nice hyperbole.

He is walking and has to be careful but he is not wheelchair bound like your statement makes him out to be.

Most probably, and I am glad for that, but his condition has not been officially updated. It was touch and go there for a while. My snarky point is that no amount of money can make up for an injury like that. The original post I responded to seemed rather flip about the discussion of worker's rights and to compare the happiness material possessions bring without considering the loss of an athlete's own instrument -his body- is facile and unempathetic.  I am also certain that while the WWE is taking care of Mr. Tyson, as independant contractors the workers have no true assurances or legal guarantees of support due to these accidents. Not arguing, but I was enjoying the relatively sober debate there for a while. I am pro-unionization, but doubt it will ever happen (for the reasons discussed above) and I could foresee it killing the business barring some great business model shift.

- on the serious tip,

RAF

• Like 2