DVDVR Message Board

AUGUST 2016 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

3 hours ago, Technico Support said:

Speaking of injuries, it's hilarious to me that Balor said on Jericho's podcast that the first thing Terry Taylor told him in NXT was that he'll learn a style that will lengthen his career.  Days after I heard that show, Balor is on the shelf.  There's a difference between learning a safe style and actually practicing it, I guess.

Well to be fair, Taylor didn't promise Finn that Rollins would also learn a style that would lengthen careers.  I don't really blame Rollins.  As said a few posts ago, WWE basically encourages wrestlers to build their brand by getting all signature spots in each match, so you end up seeing spots you should see three times a year weekly, every time you turn on your TV.  More you do big spots, more chance their is that something's going to go wrong.  There are only so many ways to take being thrown into a barricade.  "Safe" isn't one of the choices.  Really the choices with something like that come down to "get injured" or "get hurt like hell".

I enjoyed the DBry-Miz stuff but feel kinda bad about it.  It doesn't seem like it's a good thing for Bryan to get involved in this, given his emotions over not wrestling again, and it probably won't pay off in a satisfying way - certainly not with a match.  Bryan's already talked about depression over not wrestling again.  Seems like this could push him further into a bad place and do more harm than good.

(Of course, it's equally possible he'd fine with the angle, though that seems somewhat unlikely since the company had to "force" the gm job on him.)

4 hours ago, joseph2112 said:

And let's be honest, I think we are all hoping Joe is a little higher on the card than a feud with the miz.

There's nothing wrong with Joe squashing Miz for the IC title on his way up the card. It's not as if the feud with Miz would be Joe's ceiling. 

• Like 3

I'm not sure there is a better person to feud with coming in to WWE than the Miz. If he can get over worthless sacks of garbage like Alex Riley and Damien Sandow, I'm pretty sure he can make people invested in seeing Samoa Joe hit him hard in the face a bunch of times. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Comedian said:

I mean, anyone who thinks Big E is safer doing that suicide apron spear on a regular basis than he is taking a piledriver once in a while is out of their fucking mind...

Has anyone actually broken a neck screwing up a suicide dive? I've seen nasty looking stuff but I'm not aware of any serious injury. 

I'm of the mindset when you are free falling on a bump, you're safer from injury because you have control over your body. You could tuck your chin, rotate more to the right, etc. Where as piledrivers you are being moved around by a force you don't control making it more dangerous. Why isn't that true?

42 minutes ago, DTTW said:

This got me thinking...did Shawn and Rude ever have a match? 

You would think that they must have... On the other hand, as a huge fan of Ric Rude, I'm sure that I would remember having seen such and I don't... I suppose that it's just possible that despite all the times they spent in the same places, they just never met up in the ring.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, OSJ said:

You would think that they must have... On the other hand, as a huge fan of Ric Rude, I'm sure that I would remember having seen such and I don't... I suppose that it's just possible that despite all the times they spent in the same places, they just never met up in the ring.  

According to Cagematch, the only times they wrestled during Rude's first stint in the WWF was in a Battle Royal and a Royal Rumble

Yeah, I can't find any other matches, either. Looks like they never crossed paths in their territory days, (or if they did, Cagematch doesn't have it.)

In the WWF, they weren't in the same circles. Rude was a mid to upper midcard singles guy his whole time, (debuted in the Heenan family, left WWF in 1990) while the Rockers didn't break up until 1992.

56 minutes ago, OSJ said:

I was thinking maybe there was a throw away match maybe when shawn was on a solo kick, kinda like the Savage and Flair matches. 

3 hours ago, Cristobal said:

According to Cagematch, the only times they wrestled during Rude's first stint in the WWF was in a Battle Royal and a Royal Rumble

I was just checking singles matches and came up empty. During their territory days it seems like they always just missed each other.  Now that I really think about it, I'm not sure we really missed anything. Shawn and Rude wouldn't really seem to be that great a pairing style-wise.

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There's nothing wrong with Joe squashing Miz for the IC title on his way up the card. It's not as if the feud with Miz would be Joe's ceiling. 

I hear you. If it's like the Randy Orton/Miz "feud" from a few weeks ago where Orton killed him dead in the middle with two finishers and didn't even make mention about the crap Intercontinental title, yes. 

If it is a WWE, 3 PPV 50/50 special feud, no thanks. 

9 minutes ago, joseph2112 said:

I hear you. If it's like the Randy Orton/Miz "feud" from a few weeks ago where Orton killed him dead in the middle with two finishers and didn't even make mention about the crap Intercontinental title, yes. 

If it is a WWE, 3 PPV 50/50 special feud, no thanks. 

It needs to be fashioned after Warrior/HTM. Joe destroys Miz with the musclebuster in about 30 seconds. Miz gets his mandatory rematch, gets killed in 30 seconds again, Joe moves on and gets a lengthy title reign before moving up. 

If anyone 50/50 books 2016 career revival Samoa Joe, they deserve to be fucking fired.

• Like 1

Just now, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It needs to be fashioned after Warrior/HTM. Joe destroys Miz with the musclebuster in about 30 seconds. Miz gets his mandatory rematch, gets killed in 30 seconds again, Joe moves on and gets a lengthy title reign before moving up. 

Yup.