DVDVR Message Board

2016 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

That Lio Rush-Donovan Dijak was my 2nd favourite TV match of the week (Just behind the Team CMLL-Team Rest of the World hour long match from CMLL this week).  Some great highspots, some great nearfalls.  My only beef is I feel like Dijak probably should have gone over.

Also, War Machine have to be the wimpiest-booked monster tag team going.  They get jumped in a hallway, nothing particularly violent or shocking, and they're just out of the tag title match due to injury?!

• Like 1

Dijak should 100% gone over but yeah, it was fun for what it was. I need more Jason Kincaid on my ROH TV though. HE'S A GOTDANG APPALACHIAN WIZARD with amazing and original spots.

The War Machine thing though is so typical ROH booking and has been forever. They try to book like a sports league where wins/losses actually matter but then have to come up with bullshit excuses to get to matches that don't add up to the wrestling math. MCMG had the same thing happen, right? At least Keith Lee has ridiculous dives to go along with that world class smirk of his. I'd rather watch Lee and Taylor break fools than watch another War Machine match. And the Bucks/RPG Vice match was enjoyable, along with Daniels on commentary. He's a guy that I like in theory because his execution is Bret Hart levels crispness and he's good on the mic but he's just so boring and a go through the motions guy ("I'm gonna do THIS move and THIS move and then you'll reverse me and do THAT move!" you can really see the gears turning in his head) I never get invested in his matches.

ROH TV is still a slog to get through but not without some merit. And Jay Lethal looks infinitely better with the shaved head.

YES! YES! YES!  Thank you, Jesus, thank you!

The nightmare has ended...

Spoiler

No matter what Lethal does in his career, the shadow of "Black Machismo" will always haunt him.

It'd be like if Terry Taylor had won the WWF title in 1994 and held it for a year.  The headline would read 'Former "Red Rooster" Wins WWF Title!"

If you are going to use something that happened that in TNA as "haunting their career" then you can do a laundry list of them with equal stupidity:

1.  Alex Shelley being a "baby bear" as a team with Abyss

2.  Young Bucks as Generation Me and Victoria's man servants

3.  AJ Styles with Claire Lynch

and so on and so on

I am just glad that he won the title legit and not with tons of Bullet Club interference like the typical ROH main event booking.  Luckily the Bucks were in Japan.

1 hour ago, hammerva said:

If you are going to use something that happened that in TNA as "haunting their career" then you can do a laundry list of them with equal stupidity:

1.  Alex Shelley being a "baby bear" as a team with Abyss

2.  Young Bucks as Generation Me and Victoria's man servants

3.  AJ Styles with Claire Lynch

and so on and so on

All of which got forgotten pretty quickly because it's TNA.

1 hour ago, Oyaji said:

He debuted in 2013. He's pretty fucking good for a guy that early in his career, he's huge, and he's a good athlete. He looks a bit off but he's way ahead of the curve in my opinion.

Maybe that's the problem.  He does seem to react to a lot of babyface offense instead of dictating pace.  Not what I usually expect from guys built like monster heels and I've never really cared for the Feast Your Eyes finisher..

that main event sucked. It was worse than Triple H going over Booker T.  The heel shaves the long reigning babyface champ's head and all this shit leading into the match and then during the match kicks his ass for the majority of it or good portion whatever spits on him, etc.  and then pins him clean as a sheet. 

I'm no fan of Jay Lethal either but Cole sucks and the Bullet Club has sucked for a very long time.  I've lost all interest in Ring of Honor. "cool heel" stables. Get the fuck outta here.

57 minutes ago, The Z said:

Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't get the appeal of Adam Cole.

He's kind of the Randy Orton of the Indies in my opinion.

I like Adam Cole more than Randy Orton, but that's not saying much. I liked Cole in The Kingdom with Bennett, Taven, and Maria. I was surprised at how much I ended up liking Bennett and Taven as a team.

Bullet Club needs to be put to rest already. I know it's an nWo tribute act, but they shouldn't be copying how the nWo dragged on and on and on. 

On August 21, 2016 at 1:49 AM, J.T. said:

Yeah, I am not fond of Dijak either.  Easily the worst incarnation ever of The Embassy.  Nana needs to find new talents.

Maybe he can manage some of the cmll rudos when the talent exchange picks up. 

Spoiler

Who could possibly stand up to Kevin Sullivan's new jobber destroying demon Martinez?

I mean, besides Lio Rush in a tourney.

Actually, it's a good choice in storyline terms, for it was Martinez that beat Colby Corino in the first round of the TPT. One more thing for Whitmer to mention in his "OMG I'm extra evil this month" promos.

Was at Field Of Honor tonight and it was a real good show as every match on the main card was at least better than good and a couple that were excellent. I think the Shibatta-O'Reilly match will be on TV and it was really good hard hitting stuff. Show is worth getting when it ends up on demand or DVD. Only two negatives: first was the crowd, which I'd estimate at around 800. That had to be a disappointing turnout on what was a perfect night with the New Japan guys. The only positive is that almost all of them bought either shirts or autographs from the NJ guys so the company cleaned up at the gimmick table. And that leads to the other negative: much to Pete's dismay they didn't have the new Yano shirt. But overall I had a great time, and even better was I got two free tickets to the Cyclones game this monday when I purchased my ticket at the box office.

Yano didn't have ANY shirts. So bummed. The only downside to a really fun show. Nothing beats pro wrestling under the stars on a beautiful night with a bunch of friends. Had fun telling my buddy Daryl about all the guys and their deals... he's a lapsed WWE fan but he had a blast and should be back. 

Dijak is going to be a superstar if he keeps improving. His match with Elgin was really great in spots though it probably went 5 minutes too long. 

Shibata/O'Reilly was a crazy match with a weird finish as we couldn't tell if Shibata tapped or if he got legit hurt and Tiger stopped it. Either way it should set up O'Reilly as a NEVER challenger.

Yano was shockingly over and a bunch of folks were doing the BREAK BREAK BREAK deal with him. He was fucking hysterical doing his shtick. 

• Like 2

So, is Jay Lethal on his way out of the company? Are 1 or both of War Machine?

Lethal lost clean to Adam Cole, was not seen nor heard from on the first show afterwards, and Cole is already firmly moving on to a feud with KOR.

That War Machine-Taylor/Lee match was as emphatic of a loss for War Machine as possible.  Taylor/Lee just beat them totally clean.  There was a miscommunication spot or two, so maybe they're going to be splitting War Machine up, I guess.  But this is the kind of loss a wrestler/team usually takes in ROH when they're on their way out.

I would have watched another 10-15 minutes of that Cabinet-Castle/Boys match.  Just completely entertaining and enjoyable with a hot, hot crowd but I felt like it ended just as the crowd was super-invested in it.

Boy, did that 4-way not have a Someone-Is-Going-To-Interrupt-This-Match vibe to it or what?  I missed the whole Top Prospects thing earlier this year, so I had no idea who Punisher Martinez was and with the way the announcers were talking about him I thought he was some guy from Mexico I hadn't seen or maybe worked a death-match promotion and had some notoriety or something.  Had no idea he was just an also-ran from the TP tourney.

Matt Taven is awful on commentary.  He comes off like a low-rent version of Johnny Polo.  He also sounds like Nick Swardson. 

I think the clean victory by Shane Taylor and Keith Lee was more about elevating them rather than War Machine leaving or breaking up. Both guys are good, but Keith Lee is ultra impressive. I could see him eventually getting signed by the WWE. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Infinit said:

Any reason Liger worked that other Indy show last night and not the ROH show?

Most likely - since he books all his own dates - that he already had that gig before Field of Honor started filling out their card

On 8/28/2016 at 5:56 PM, RIPPA said:

Most likely - since he books all his own dates - that he already had that gig before Field of Honor started filling out their card

Was joking with Pete that he was technically working opposition for the second year in a row. But while you could technically argue same market his show was about 65 miles north in Beacon so it would be a stretch. In fact the reason that ballpark and NY Penn league team that plays there exist is that they are more than 50 miles away from the nearest MLB team (Yankees). That rule is why places like Bridgeport, Somerset, Suffolk County, Camden and Newark have/had independent league teams who weren't bound by it.