DVDVR Message Board

2016 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

I got that Necro vs. Homicide write up too courtesy of my cable provider.

But on my old tv with the digital converter box hookup, I think I've had the same generic writeup about the young stars of pro wrestling since the show started airing.

What are the chances that the New Kingdom is just Taven joining the House of Truth to take on the BC Wolfpack?

On 5/24/2016 at 8:00 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Taven was in the HoT during his tv title reign, so I could see it. I'd rather see someone else in a new Kingdom; maybe someone that can be jobbed to the stars of New Japan every other month

FTFY

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Technico Support said:

FTFY

Sadly, that's the truth. Sure, they might put on some very good matches, but I hate ROH being used as New Japan's job boys. Delirious needs to grow some balls and stand up to Gedo.

• Like 1

ROH is currently two different promotions: one with its own storylines and wrestlers (see Final Battle 2015) and one that solely exists as "New Japan USA" (see the anniversary show).  They need to pick one approach and stick with it because having two different directions is the same as having none at all.

• Like 3

It was nice to have an actual ROH TV show this week.

When Silas Young was on commentary for the ACH-L.Rush match and said "I get tired of seeing these..." I thought to myself "Oh man...I don't like where this is going..." and then he said something about guys playing video games and doing flips and I thought "Well that went a lot better than I was expecting".  I like the idea of Silas Young, old-timer, even though I was still holding out hope for him becoming Dalton Castle's partner.

Was pretty surprised to see The Addiction out with the tag titles (Hadn't read any spoilers).  Was rather unexcited by MCMG facing them for the titles (Never been a big MCMG fan) but whatever.  Glad to see they've dropped the military jackets.  I HATED that.

Adam Page as a member of the Bullet Club is pretty uninspiring, especially with him starting a new gimmick calling himself "The Hangman".  It probably would've been better for him being on his own.

Again, I've never been a huge fan of Matt Taven, but I'm strangely intrigued at his new Kingdom.  I laughed pretty hard when he said "I wonder how many fat dorks in their basements are wearing Bullet Club shirts and spraying hairspray cans in the air right now".  The whole ending was awkward with no Adam Cole there.

• Like 1

If they were planning that, wouldn't they show at least a women's match at some point?  The last time I remember one Mischeif was doing them, and that was a couple years ago.  And who would they have?  Taelor and Mandy are there and that's all I know about.

Silas Young cutting a serious promo based on ACH's coloring book page was somehow fantastic.

WOH were on tv this weekend for the length of a new t-shirt commercial.

Remember when IRS would wrestle with his tie on and you just knew someone was gonna use it to his dismay? Adam Page wears a hangman's noose to the ring now...

You know I like the Bullet Club but am already beginning to feel like this is going to reach SCUM levels of annoying before long.  Three matches this week, two of which either involved the Bullet Club or BC interference.

The Adam Page Hangman gimmick is a nifty idea especially with the way they cut to commercials because they can't "legally" show it but I think him joining BC is going to really see him get lost in the shuffle.  I mean, realistically, every time they need to build up someone to stand up to the Bullet Club, who are they going to beat?  It's not going to be the Bucks, likely not going to be any NJPW guys, won't be Cole, that leaves Page as the weak link who is going to lose every time someone challenges the BC; he'll be the Ray Traylor/Vincent of the Bullet Club.

Sydal-Okada was fine but it was basically just like every other Okada ROH match in that you know he's not going to be losing.

Lethal-Dijak was surprisingly solid, a couple bumpy spots, but Dijak's flip over the ropes was nuts.  Kind of bizarre how Dijak turned heel by aligning with Lethal, then turned on Lethal but remained heel, while Lethal also stayed heel.

Silas Young's promo was the best thing on the show.

I went to the Columbus ROH show last night.  I've only been to one other ROH show.  The show was 4 hours.  Are they typically they long?  The previous one wasn't.  I'm not the biggest ROH fan, but it was enjoyable.  Four hours though on a Sunday night though?  Maybe I'm just  getting old.

Cole v. Lio Rush was my favorite match of the night.  The Bucks and Dalton Castle had the longest lines for meet & greet. 

Decent episode this week although they should try and mix up the talent the comes over from NJPW to add some intrigue to the results. Like you know Moose is not beating the IWGP champ. And Kushida seems like the guy they're willing to job out here and there.

That said, last time I saw Naito he was meandering around in CMLL (literally, he was ringside then sitting on the entrance steps)  That was around the time the Japan version of the group started.  Seeing him on ROH TV, I just love the guy.  Awesome entrance gear/mask, and his mannerisms fit really well for the group.  And you can't go wrong with ThunderBurger and Kushida/O'reilly.

1 hour ago, Web Conn said:

Never been live but Hammerstein is my favorite wrestling venue ever. Great look and atmosphere. I think wrestling is at its best in theaters and ballrooms.

It's a tremendous building live for wrestling. Great sightlines up and down, excellent acoustics.

• Like 1

I'm not really into anything ROH is doing at the moment. I hate the ROH roster being used to put over New Japan's roster. I'm really not into Bullet Club USA, so hopefully things change between now and December. I used to have so much fun at ROH shows, including many at the Hammerstein and upstairs at the Grand Ballroom. I want to see ROH at the Hammerstein again, so hopefully they give me something to get excited about again.