DVDVR Message Board

2016 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

Hopefully some of the talent leaving winds up being a blessing in disguise because it'll force them to hire some fresh talent. Keith Lee and Shane Taylor are good picks for sure.

I don't think ROH can be the super indy, all workrate match promotion anymore with NXT co-opting the indy scene. Instead they should focus on having a more diverse roster of guys that work completely different styles.

I might be the only one, but I was beyond overjoyed to see Kamaitachi's superfan on that show. I have no idea if she's related, a close friend, or somebody willing to travel to North Carolina. But I was happy to see her regardless. Too bad she wasn't at the non TV event in Baltimore. 

http://www.rohwrestling.com/news/cody-rhodes-signed-compete-roh-s-final-battle

codyrhodesfinalbattle1.jpg

The biggest event of 2016 for Ring of Honor Wrestling (ROH) will take place on Friday December 2ndat The Manhattan Center’s Hammerstein Ballroom as “Final Battle” returns to NYC. The culmination of twelve months of intense competition, heart-stopping excitement and the Best Pro Wrestling on the Planet, “Final Battle” provides the athletes of Ring of Honor one more opportunity to prove their domination.

ROH is pleased to announce that the first wrestler signed to compete for the 2016’s “Final Battle” is Cody Rhodes, a second-generation star who will be making his Ring of Honor debut on Friday December 2nd.

Cody made his ROH and “Final Battle” intentions known first on Twitter (@CodyRhodes) by tweeting out a “Final Battle” image, with Cody looming over the NYC skyline. ROH Matchmaker Nigel McGuinness confirmed the signing of Rhodes for what promises to be the biggest event of 2016 in Ring of Honor.

This week's episode is both good and bad, I'll Spoiler it since it hasn't aired everywhere yet

The whole idea behind the Bullet Club beating up KOR and taking him out of that title match, only for KOR to come back and wrestle injured so he has an excuse for leaving to Lethal is a good one in theory, but doing so resulted in 2/3 rather pointless matches to fill time before restarting the match and the Bullet Club is still so beloved that painting them as heels ruining the show doesn't really work because everyone cheers them anyways.  Also, I thought it was hilarious how Kevin Kelly and Nigel were talking up Jay Lethal being a standup champion despite his entire last 2 years being built mostly around outside interference and cheating.

Spoiler

I haven't watched the last couple weeks but have they actually showed Jay Lethal getting his head shaved by the Bullet Club.  If not then announcing the title with a bald Lethal is pretty bad but not surprising given how awful the scheduling of their TV show can be

15 hours ago, hammerva said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I haven't watched the last couple weeks but have they actually showed Jay Lethal getting his head shaved by the Bullet Club.  If not then announcing the title with a bald Lethal is pretty bad but not surprising given how awful the scheduling of their TV show can be

Yep, I saw Lethal bald at the Baltimore house show.  He doesn't look that bad, but without seeing TV it was a bit jarring for some.  I like the direction they're going with their feud against the BC.  It's just too bad BC is too popular to be hated there.

Spoiler

My question: why didn't they just have Lethal form a heel group, make the Bullet Club faces and have them feud? Bullet Club are basically faces who aren't going to be booed no matter how hard you try so why not go with it? 

At least they are trying to make them more heelish unlike before where they considered all this stuff cool.   But the fans have already considered this a NWO tribute act and will always pop for it.  I think making Lethal a babyface is better anyway given how he works in the ring

48 minutes ago, zev said:

Those Cabinet promos aren't game changers, they're channel changers.

It's almost like they're intentionally trying to deflect the "go-away" heat off of Whitmer and on to these guys.

41 minutes ago, Hail Sabin said:

Taven's commentary in the main event is worst.

Indeed. At least they had him say he was just there to see Adam Cole lose, and then showed him walking to the back after the match was over. This way, it helped justify why he's not preventing his arch nemesis from doing something else in the ring.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 1:43 AM, zev said:

Indeed. At least they had him say he was just there to see Adam Cole lose, and then showed him walking to the back after the match was over. This way, it helped justify why he's not preventing his arch nemesis from doing something else in the ring.

Was hoping Cole would superkick Taven sometime during the match or after it when Taven turned his back.

16 hours ago, Hail Sabin said:

Was hoping Cole would superkick Taven sometime during the match or after it when Taven turned his back.

I don't recall any recent Taven matches, maybe he's still injured and couldn't take the bump.

Or maybe they figured Taven running in would make him a face, and they didn't want to turn him and Lethal in the same tapings.

Superkicks did shut down Mr. Wrestling 3's commentary gig.

Of course that's totally different than Corino being shut down by Kevin Sullivan not liking him better than Whitmer.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 0:29 PM, NickMD said:

The times I saw C&C in Baltimore yeah, they were very beloved.  I was hoping they'd get a title run, even if it was a brief one.  Cedric being done with ROH is a wasted opportunity as I really liked what he was doing.  And I'm wondering what Veda's going to do now.

There are three teams that are crazy over in B'more.  The Briscoes, Black Wallstreet, and C&C.

I'm still bummed about having to work the weekend of the MCW show in Joppa where the Briscoes / Johnny Crabcakes vs. Black Wallstreet match was the headliner.

Jason Kinkaid, Appalachian Ninja is my favorite worker in the fed right now and I normally hate most flippy guys.

• Like 3

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 7:53 PM, zev said:

Cagey Muto!  VHS!

God, I love both of those teams, but that match at the Jo was all about the Briscoes being awesome.  There is some primal killer thing still missing from the GoD's teamwork, but nothing that watching some Faces of Fear matches couldn't help.

Ring of Honor will be seeing another international star make an appearance on their roster, as Dragon Lee will make his debut for the company later this year.

Lee will compete for ROH at their September 30th All Star Extravaganza VIII pay-per-view in Lowell, MA. He will also compete on ROH's TV tapings the next night.

The 21-year-old Lee has seen his profile skyrocket in the last year, thanks in large part to a series of matches with fellow international standout Kamaitachi.

The two have battled in Lee's home promotion of CMLL, as well as having one match in New Japan Pro Wrestling. Kamaitachi is a member of the NJPW roster, but has been on excursion to CMLL and most recently ROH in the United States. Lee defeated Kamaitachi in a mask vs. mask match in 2015.

No indication was given of who Lee will face, but ROH noted Lee's connection with Kamaitachi.

On 8/1/2016 at 5:49 PM, zev said:

Superkicks did shut down Mr. Wrestling 3's commentary gig.

Of course that's totally different than Corino being shut down by Kevin Sullivan not liking him better than Whitmer.

I really like the show more without Steve/King/Mr. Wrestling 3 Corino on color.  I hope this is permanent and leads to Corino ether moving to an off-air gig in the front office or phased out of the company entirely.

On 7/18/2016 at 8:59 AM, Charlie M. said:

Hopefully some of the talent leaving winds up being a blessing in disguise because it'll force them to hire some fresh talent. Keith Lee and Shane Taylor are good picks for sure.

I don't think ROH can be the super indy, all workrate match promotion anymore with NXT co-opting the indy scene. Instead they should focus on having a more diverse roster of guys that work completely different styles.

I still don't understand how the hell Whitmer is still there after all these years.

The Briscoes I understand b/c they share the same conservative, homophobic beliefs as Sinclair management, but BJ...it's like how Bob Holly hung around through the New Generation and the Attitude Era to the start of the PG era.

This week's episode  brings us Jay White vs. Will Ferrara. If you have been wondering what a middle of the road 1st round CWC match is like without the Full Sail crowd, Mauro and Bryan commentary and super obvious favorite to win...this is the match for you.