DVDVR Message Board

2016 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

Best In The World was an average show. Lethal/Briscoe was too short. Felt like a great TV match. The one booking thing I did like was that they seem committed to trying to do something with Jay White.

My favorite match on the show was Roddy vs. Mark Briscoe. I recently watched a great Briscoes vs Roddy and Jack Evans from Best In The World 2006 so it was cool to see Roddy close out his ROH tenure against Mark.

Spoiler

Not really a spoiler but I think O'Reilly will take the title off Lethal soon. Might not be right away but soon. His talk of moving to heavyweight in New Japan convinced me of that.

WOH special aired this weekend. Not sure if it's good to have a dojo trainee have her first ever pro match on the episode, especially for a fed where they run a Top Prospect tourney with competitors that wrestle over 10 years before getting a "shot at ROH," but the 6 woman match was fun, Hania and Mandy can prove they can have excessive two counts just like the guys, and the Klein-Hendrix main event was solid.

6 hours ago, Curt McGirt said:

I turned that on and within the first moments of the first match some mouth-breathing creep (I swear I heard this) moaned "you're my favorite..." It made me immediately change the channel. 

That's why I tend to stay away from Shimmer and similar companies.  I'm sure the wrestling's great and there's lots of well-intended male and female fans.  But there's always guys like him that will ruin it for me.  Thankfully I didn't pay attention to anybody in the crowd, especially that guy.

That said, it was an interesting mix of matches.  The opener was clunky in spots but was fun.  Faye/ODB was the epitome of a basic match for a first-timer and it was fine for what it was.  Really liked Hania/Mandy.  Mandy is a lot better than I expected and I'm curious to see how she fares in ROH and beyond.  And the main event had the crowd's interest with Taelor/Truth and BJ on the other side.  Good match to close the show.

• Like 1

I thought it was pretty dull, tbh.
-Opener had its moments but there was a lot of Veda Scott standing around waiting to be hit with things.
-ODB-Faye was pretty bad.  But I HATE ODB matches anyways.  I thought the Bucks gestured at the genitals a lot.  Between ODB slapping her boobs, Faye slapping her butt, and that move where ODB rams her opponent's face into her own vagina...
-Mandy-Hania was okay but way too long.  Mandy is this weird mix of indyROH-y moves and 80s moves (the 2-handed thrust to the throat).  I might have enjoyed it a little more if there wasn't that whole Delirious/Ref/Mandy Leon controversy a little while back and the entire match felt like Delirious building up his girlfriend for the ROH crowd.
-Main event was okay.  I kinda zoned out by the end.  BJ Whitmer's presence has that effect on me.

Not gonna lie.  It would have been a horrid car crash, but I'd have been first in line to see Kurt Angle challenge Davey Richards for the ROH title if they had booked that match when Davey was champ,  Kurt's overkill big match style vs. Davey's overkill big match style would be.... I dunno... something. 

• Like 1

Davey would superplex-into-another-suplex Kurt, who would somehow land in a way to immediately reach and make that Ankle Lock happen. Davey would reach the ropes, barricades would be slapped.

4 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

Not gonna lie.  It would have been a horrid car crash, but I'd have been first in line to see Kurt Angle challenge Davey Richards for the ROH title if they had booked that match when Davey was champ,  Kurt's overkill big match style vs. Davey's overkill big match style would be.... I dunno... something. 

And that something is a 5 million star classic!

10 hours ago, Vader does my taxes! said:

I thought for sure TNA were going to do it this year on Kurt's farewell matches tour. It seemed like they were teasing/building it a little bit but then just did a triple threat tag as their only interaction and then had Kurt pass the torch of the ankle lock to Davey. Definitely a match I would've loved to have seen just for that style matchup you mentioned. I hope it still happens somewhere while Kurt is working a few indy dates.

• 3 weeks later...

If WWE brought in the Beer City Bruiser and let him be the Beer City Bruiser he would be the most over guy on the whole roster. He is the perfect example of how different=good and is also an example of the type of character that is missing from modern wrestling. Silas Young with him is the icing on the cake.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sabremike said:

If WWE brought in the Beer City Bruiser and let him be the Beer City Bruiser he would be the most over guy on the whole roster. He is the perfect example of how different=good and is also an example of the type of character that is missing from modern wrestling. Silas Young with him is the icing on the cake.

I feel like BCB in WWE would turn out like Bull Dempsey did. Dempsey fit the bill of a different look and being refered to as "The Last of a Dying Breed". His character was a throwback at first before the Bull Fit gimmick, which was esssentially the same as Bobby Dempsey in ROH with Tank Toland as his trainer. 

I need to start watching ROH more. When did this Taylor and Lee team show up? Two fat dudes with a 'slick and ultra-confident' gimmick? The look on Lee's face the whole time is the funniest, and he even busts out a fat-boy hilo to crush War Machine. And then KEVIN SULLIVAN IS HOLDING A KNIFE? I know I just watch a MCMG/Daniels and Kazarian match, but is this still ROH?

Oh lord Sullivan is wearing a blue North Carolina sports team shirt underneath the purple robe. Sorry BJ, but you are completely unconvincing as an "evil man".

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Curt McGirt said:

I need to start watching ROH more. When did this Taylor and Lee team show up? Two fat dudes with a 'slick and ultra-confident' gimmick? The look on Lee's face the whole time is the funniest, and he even busts out a fat-boy hilo to crush War Machine. And then KEVIN SULLIVAN IS HOLDING A KNIFE? I know I just watch a MCMG/Daniels and Kazarian match, but is this still ROH?

Oh lord Sullivan is wearing a blue North Carolina sports team shirt underneath the purple robe. Sorry BJ, but you are completely unconvincing as an "evil man". 

The Pretty Boy Killers AKA Shane Taylor and Keith Lee showed up in ROH last trip they made thru TX. Seen both live in various TX/LA/MS indies and they are great. Watched Keith do what turned into a flipping buttsplash last Labor Day weekend at a VIP show in Dallas.

• Like 1

If that was Roddy's last match in ROH, it was pretty good. He went out on his shoulders right and proper to an up-and-coming guy which is fitting. Speaking of which, Dalton Castle is great. I've seen a little of the stuff with the Boys and all but nothing really in-ring. So he's an exotico who specializes in deadlift suplexes? Holy shit, awesome! He's also not afraid to go head-first into the barricade not once but twice. Roddy's never really struck me as special -- maybe because he looks like a generic underwear model -- but he's been a pillar of the company for years so it seems like he deserves a better send-off. Where's he going, New Japan?

I've not read any thing that confirms where Roddy's going, but I'll guess the WWE Performance Center.

He can be the next big debut in NXT after the last of the filmed pre-draft episodes air.

I'm coming out of lurker mode just to bemoan the lack of posts about last weekend's episode.

This weekend's show was good, but last weekend's was better. This week had a decent six man tag with MCMG in it (it didn't have enough MCMG teamwork goodness in it, though) and Roddy/Castle which was good, but last week had Jason Kincaid being awesome and a sweet ACH/Mark Briscoe match. It also had Mark Briscoe wondering what ACH stands for and offering allegedly humorous ideas. It ruled.

I could watch Jason Kincaid work all day long.

A little disappointed Roddy didn't get a better TV sendoff, although he's not retiring and he'll probably end up back in ROH a few years down the road.

7 hours ago, bobholly138 said:

The Pretty Boy Killers AKA Shane Taylor and Keith Lee showed up in ROH last trip they made thru TX. Seen both live in various TX/LA/MS indies and they are great. Watched Keith do what turned into a flipping buttsplash last Labor Day weekend at a VIP show in Dallas.

Shane and his equally large brother were Reality of Wrestling tag champs up until about a month ago.  They were fun to watch.  Good for him if he's getting a shot in ROH, though Booker needs to get some more fat guys on his roster.