DVDVR Message Board

2016 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

5 minutes ago, sabremike said:

If they don't do skits from the chicken farm I will be very sad.

No, they have to cut a team promo at a flea market in Delaware where Yano is trying to sell some of his DVDs.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, sabremike said:

If they don't do skits from the chicken farm I will be very sad.

Well, I was hoping for Yano skits on the Thunderbolt or even the Wonder Wheel and we saw how that worked out...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, odessasteps said:

Coming to roh trios tourney:

ultimo guerrero, okamura and hechicero from cmll

Holy fuck, yes. Must see TV, baybeeee! CMLL sending a top guy (TOP GUY!) to li'l ol' ROH is tremendous. I wonder how over UG will be, seeming as he only works Fantastica Mania shows for NJPW.

I've never been a diehard ROH fan--I've followed the promotion very sporadically over the years, but I'm trying to get a little more ingrained now that I can watch the weekly show.  There's something I'm curious about, so I'm hoping one of you can help me out.  Why is Jay Briscoe a 2-time ROH champion, while Mark Briscoe never gets a serious singles push?  Mark has far more charisma, and based on the matches I've seen of the two (which, admittedly, isn't a lot, but isn't a negligible amount), there isn't a wide gulf in their respective ability.  What am I not seeing?  Is there something about Jay that makes him clearly the better of the two?

Early on, Mark was the one that got more of the title shots. At Final Battle 2003, Jay was in the opening match against Bryan Danielson. Imagine when that is your opening match. Joe defended the title against Mark. Admittedly, the big draw of FB '03 was the Great Muta in the main event. 

I don't really have an answer why ROH decided to give Jay the singles push and why Mark became The Sandy Fork Chicken. I'm not all that crazy about the Briscoes in singles roles. Their best use is in tag matches. I loved their feuds with Aries & Strong and Steenerico. 

• Like 1

On 9/9/2016 at 11:40 PM, Vader does my taxes! said:

Mark would get more title shots if his people hadn't blown the Statue of Liberty up.  Bookers seem to hold that against him.

But he did just manage to get verified by Twitter so he's got that going for him.

Fuck the Bullet Club.  Bunch of low-rent NWO B-team motherfuckers.  Am I alone in thinking this?  They should have driven a stake through the whole gimmick once AJ, Gallows, and Anderson left.  Cole at least carries himself like a star, but he's getting dragged down by associating with a bunch of jabronies.  

Hey ROH, how about adding some more commercial breaks to your weekly show?  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mattdangerously said:

Fuck the Bullet Club.  Bunch of low-rent NWO B-team motherfuckers.  Am I alone in thinking this?  They should have driven a stake through the whole gimmick once AJ, Gallows, and Anderson left.  Cole at least carries himself like a star, but he's getting dragged down by associating with a bunch of jabronies.  

Hey ROH, how about adding some more commercial breaks to your weekly show?  

That's the reason Kenny Omega and the Young Bucks were using The Elite name. Bullet Club is emulating the nWo a little too much, even how it just dragged on and on with no real end.

• Like 1

Bullet Club's not going anywhere as long as they still sell a ton of merch.  It would be pretty bold for them to split it up due to that, but it should be done.  Peak Club was when it was AJ as the leader, once he left it seems it got pretty aimless.  Haven't seen it in NJPW for a bit, but I agree that it's ridiculous in ROH.  Nothing against Adam Page, but he's pretty much B Team Club.  Even if it was just Cole and Bucks recreating their PWG magic they're so damn beloved that they'll never get the hated reaction in ROH.

I do like the fued between War Machine and Taylor & Lee especially that it stems from Taylor feeling betrayed by Rowe for leaving him in Cleveland and forming a tag team with Hansen when Taylor was his partner before ROH.

Edit: Pretty good intense promo