DVDVR Message Board

2016 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

I can't get into anything in this promotion right now except the hoss battles between War Machine and Lee/Taylor.  I'm so tired of seeing the NWO D-team eating up so much airtime.  And I have no fucking idea what Corino and Sullivan are rambling on about.

• Like 1

I love Punisher Martinez, but my television needs more of Kenny The Last Greek Letter and the Bucks of Youth being awesome.  FIX THIS VISA BULLSHIT~!!

Adam Cole and Hangman are determined to make me hate Bullet Club ROH and I am trying my best to resist.

I'm enjoying the Silas Young mini-push, still felt ROH dropped the ball by not having him come out and save Dalton from a 2 on 1 Addiction beatdown and team the two of them up as an odd-couple tag team.

I'm enjoying the Punisher Martinez squashes, but my enjoyment is offset by Kevin Sullivan muttering nonsense combinations of syllables at Steve Corino ("BOOZA!") and Corino getting upset and all the whispering and nonsense "But I summoned the Purple Haze!" "Do you have that power?!" 

I'm pretty sure we're headed for Hangman Page taking the TV title soon so the Bullet Club controls all the titles before ROH turns the tables.

I don't get what New Japan sees in Adam Page. Bullet Club needs to die already. I did like how it seemed like Kenny Omega and the Bucks were phasing out the BC name and using the Elite name in Japan. If Omega eventually starts working the US again, I want him and the Bucks to dump the dead weight (Guerillas of Destiny, Adam Page) and turn on Adam Cole.

• Like 1

Bullet Club would be way more tolerable if it was just Omega and the Bucks.  Cole isn't really benefitting from the gimmick (unless he's getting a cut of the t-shirt sales), and everyone else is tied for being the Vincent of the group.  I mean, Captain fucking New Japan?  Jesus...

• Like 2

On 10/24/2016 at 6:03 PM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't get what New Japan sees in Adam Page. Bullet Club needs to die already. I did like how it seemed like Kenny Omega and the Bucks were phasing out the BC name and using the Elite name in Japan. If Omega eventually starts working the US again, I want him and the Bucks to dump the dead weight (Guerillas of Destiny, Adam Page) and turn on Adam Cole.

This a dozen times.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RIPPA said:

Dane vs. Elgin or Dane vs. Punisher Martinez will be totally fucking kaiju.  Big dudes beating the absolute living shit out of each other makes me smile a ghoulish smile.

This clip also needs to be in the This Is How You Cut A Promo thread.

The really weird thing about Jax Dane is that despite his frightening appearance, 90% of the matches I've seen from him, he's worked as the biggest baby face you can imagine. 

Kids love the guy and he always lets a small child at ringside hold the title belt before he goes into the ring.

Also strange is that I've seen him work comedic matches as well as serious ones.  He had a mini feud with Jordan Kage working a brilliant chicken shit heel gimmick and Kane played the role of the big lug straight man and world champ falling for bad guy chicanery before finally calling bullshit and killing everyone.

If there is a downside to Dane, it is his finisher since I almost categorically hate all spears now.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

The new NWA champion doesn't even have his own Wikipedia page.    

He was a two-time TCW heavyweight champion. I am appalled that nobody made Tim Storm his own webpage.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mattdangerously said:

I just saw Andy Dalton for the first time a couple of weeks ago.  Dude's gross, but awesome.  

First saw him in 2013 when NWA bayou indy wrestling started booking him. Really nice guy,and if he was taller he would be under contract somewhere. 

On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 3:31 PM, sabremike said:

Does anyone else think Kevin Sullivan sounds like their grandpa?

No, but my grandfather did see Sullivan in his early Georgia run before he went all devil worshipping gimmick in Florida.

And I think he watched a Varsity Club 6 man watch with me once.

Meanwhile, this weekend's syndicated show featured Kevin Kelly heralding the return of Donovan Dijak. Now, I watch this show every week, and I don't recall Dijak having any extended absence. Where did he go?

Cross-posted from the lucha thread

Team CMLL (Ultimo Guerrero, Hechicero, Okumura) vs
Team ROH (Christopher Daniels, Frankie Kazarian, Kamaitachi)

10/29/16 Baltimore MD

This was first match of ROH TV taping.

Entertainiing match with the CMLL getting to do most of their trademark moves: Ultimo did his dropkick spot, the running hip over the barricade spot, the corner headstand/buster spot and of course, the Guerrero Special, which won the match. Hechicero got to do some mat work, hit the conjuro on Daniels and the flying knee on Kazarian. Hechicero even got to be the jumper in the Guerreros leap frog spot. Okumura did his implant ddt, but as a double team move with Hechiceto, instead of the draping version. Hechicero worked as the face in peril in the middle of the match. Everyone seemed to work well with each other, except for the miscommunication between Daniels and Kamaitachi, which led to their defeat. There was a post-match angle where they may have broken the Ghost Squirrel away from The Addiction. 

1 hour ago, zev said:

No, but my grandfather did see Sullivan in his early Georgia run before he went all devil worshipping gimmick in Florida.

And I think he watched a Varsity Club 6 man watch with me once.

Meanwhile, this weekend's syndicated show featured Kevin Kelly heralding the return of Donovan Dijak. Now, I watch this show every week, and I don't recall Dijak having any extended absence. Where did he go?

Sullivan teaming with Stan Hansen was fun also.

On 10/30/2016 at 0:34 AM, odessasteps said:

Cross-posted from the lucha thread

Team CMLL (Ultimo Guerrero, Hechicero, Okumura) vs
Team ROH (Christopher Daniels, Frankie Kazarian, Kamaitachi)

10/29/16 Baltimore MD

This was first match of ROH TV taping.

Entertainiing match with the CMLL getting to do most of their trademark moves: Ultimo did his dropkick spot, the running hip over the barricade spot, the corner headstand/buster spot and of course, the Guerrero Special, which won the match. Hechicero got to do some mat work, hit the conjuro on Daniels and the flying knee on Kazarian. Hechicero even got to be the jumper in the Guerreros leap frog spot. Okumura did his implant ddt, but as a double team move with Hechiceto, instead of the draping version. Hechicero worked as the face in peril in the middle of the match. Everyone seemed to work well with each other, except for the miscommunication between Daniels and Kamaitachi, which led to their defeat. There was a post-match angle where they may have broken the Ghost Squirrel away from The Addiction. 

I was planning to go there Saturday, but a calamity happened when we brewed beer.  We had to start over and by the time we finished it was already 9.  Really bummed I missed out on this show, even moreso when I remembered this was happening.  How did the crowd like Team CMLL?  Were they into the stuff they were doing or did it seem fairly new to them?  Hoping I catch some of them next time they roll around.

• 2 weeks later...