DVDVR Message Board

2016 ROH DISCUSSION THREAD

Listening to Cabana's podcast this week with Silas and he, Silas that he based the Last Real Man character off of his father who was a fireman in the Greenbay area. He didn't say if his father was also a gymnast or not.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Web Conn said:

Listening to Cabana's podcast this week with Silas and he, Silas that he based the Last Real Man character off of his father who was a fireman in the Greenbay area. He didn't say if his father was also a gymnast or not.

Now I'm picturing a guy in a fireman hat doing flips over the fire and headstands before breaking down the door.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, caley said:

Now I'm picturing a guy in a fireman hat doing flips over the fire and headstands before breaking down the door.

Kurt Angle's involved in a potential remake of the 70's series, Emergency!

I think you just came up with part of a season finale.

23 minutes ago, caley said:

"There's a spark in your hair!"

They got really good mileage out of the Silas/Dalton feud. It's been the feud I've most enjoyed watching as I catch up on ROH. Finally did it, as I got through about four months of TV and the two PPVs the past month or so.

RANDOM CATCHING UP THOUGHTS:

I enjoy Moose a lot more than I did last year. That dropkick he gave Okada at the 14th anniversary show was amazing for a man of his size. Plus, it's way more fun than it ought to be to do the "MOOSE" deal. He's still greener than turtle shit but he's coming along.

I'd be okay never seeing War Machine ever again. Hanson was a lot of fun in those chaotic multi-man matches but boy howdy does he struggle when he's not relied on purely to hit neat spots. Basically like Roman Reigns but way worse. And he wears a girdle.

I feel like they've only gone in on Roddy's PWG character about a third of the way. If they went all in and made him a seriously grating dipshit jock that never loses, he'd be way more fun to hate.

Taeler Hendrix looks amazing. I remember catching a Youtube promo of hers and being impressed. They should let her talk more. Not a fan of Martini though him doing the fencing sell-job for Dijak definitely earned him some brownie points with me.

Kevin Kelly and Steve Corino is a tandem that hurts my soul.

ANX's weird 5+ minute promo with Cheeseburger didn't really accomplish what it should've. They're egomaniacal heels, why were they so cute on the mic and making people laugh? Especially when they were going to beat the shit out of Cheeseburger in the end anyway.  Rhett Titus is the redneck love child of Chad Kroeger and Maynard James Keenan. What a fascinatingly goofy human being!

Punisher Martinez also looks amazing but in a completely different way and has a sweet (but seriously dangerous looking) arsenal of moves. I feared for Colby's life. I get why they went with Rush but hopefully they can bring in Martinez more often.  And why wasn't that the finals? 

Watching this much ROH makes me miss the Gabe days. So much more interesting. Current day ROH isn't bad but it does feel very predictable and sanitized. 

What happened to Corino? Is it just nostalgia or was he not really good on the mic back in the day? His commentary detracts from matches frequently. He'll drop some decent insight once a night or so but it's too far in-between a lot of garbage.

I forgot to mention how the best part of that otherwise messy tag team gauntlet in Nashville was definitely Brutal Bob. Pure '80s schtick that worked gloriously. Bucks hit like 3 superkicks and each of them mattered and got big reactions because of Bob's stalling and setting them up. Otherwise, that match had way too much scripting and guys trying to remember what happens when instead of just working a simpler style.

Does anybody know why there are huge gaps in the ROH library that comes with a ringside membership? All but one event from 2004 is missing, a decent  chunk of '05 isn't up, so and so forth. What's the deal? A lot of the good shit isn't up and definitely holding me off from signing up.

Finally got around to watching Supercard of Honor Night 1 and what an awesome show!

Roddy vs Moose was probably the best match but O'Reilly vs Sydal was my favorite. The degree of difficulty of some of the stuff they tried was so high yet they managed to hit everything without it looking cooperative. Daniels/Fish was probably the best Daniels match I've seen in quite some time.

Lethal/Rush was enjoyable with Lethal being a dick to him throughout the match. Rush could stand to put on at least a couple pounds. Adam Cole did a great job with ACH. Colt's promo was pretty good aside from him constantly repeating himself. MCMG/Young Bucks was fine and Shelley was really good in it.

Liger's tag match on this weekend's syndication show was a treat.

Of all the contenders that were involved in Roddy vs. The World, I wonder how things would be different if they would've went with Stevie Richards instead of Ishii winning. Yes, Stevie Richards.

Absolutely loved the Japan show, so much fun.  The opening tag was fun, and I got a kick out of Delirious/Gedo.  The videos of Moose and Castle going around Japan were well-done and really made it feel like they were a big deal (was highly amused at the cameo in Moose's video)  The main event was great, great stuff and it's one of those matches that was greatly enhanced by the crowd.  I guess the suplex outside was supposed to be on the ring apron.  But when Iishi landed on the outside the crowd was going ballistic, and man that looked painful.

Oh, and how great was that Cheeseburger commercial?  I loved that so much, bless them for doing their take on wacky Japanese commercials.

Good lord they let Chicken loose with a mic on the streets of Tokyo. That should be a series like An Idiot Abroad, only it's Mark Briscoe. 

EDIT: Omega/Bucks vs. reDragon/Shibata was fun. A bunch of goofy Bullet Club schtick, but fun, and Shibata will blast you really hard always. Got a kick out of the Bucks using the freeze spray as deodorant after the match. 

• Like 1

For every week ROH on Sinclair has given us a Martini interference to lead to a Lethal win, we should get a Briscoe tours Japan segment. It's only fair. Legit LOL when he said Mt. Fuji was named after Mister Fuji.

• Like 1