DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 10/10 - 10/17/2023 - Tuesday Night Wars

The Natural

You keep Cena "pulling" rick rude out of a respectable folder.. damnit.

And Christian Cage won, even before then, either by countout or disqualification. None of the fans who helped Danielson up had valid managerial licenses (I checked), so either we go with Danielson being DQ'd for illegal outside help or the countout. Big Bill and Starks were just evening up the odds. 

(Funny, is this how @The Natural feels? 😉

• Like 1

Hmmmm.m, I’m excited for Danielson v Starks 3 and that’s where you pull the trigger on Starks going over. The question, do we get a wild stip or would Starks going over in a singles match be a bigger win (“I don’t need no gimmicks”, etc)? Their strap match was all kinds of icky amazing. 
I feel this makes sense and pretty logical and enjoyable with recent outcomes. Danielson over Starks so he can get a big match with Swerve (who just beat Hangman), Danielson over Swerve to face Christian (with interference from Hangman so Swerve’s protected), Christian over Danielson to keep him strong again Cope (with interference from Starks to lead to avenging his initial loss). Swerve can hopefully beat Hangman and maybe go after MJF or continue to rise as a villain. Then have Danielson put over Starks who can either continue a tag title run or go after the International title or TNT title. Fantasy ~~~~ boooooooking. Wooooooo.

• Like 1

The Fite feed kept going out during the opening promo, but what I saw of it looked very Sportz Entz. And the fact that everyone out there was an ex-WWE guy (except Ricky Starks, who was immediately buried as a skinny Rock ripoff). Once the feed started staying clear and the actual wrestling started, it was a great show.

Always fun when there's more than 30 minutes left in the show and they announce the next match is the Main Event.

My armchair booking theory is that Starks and Bill join Christian and Sons in a stable for the fall/winter. Once Cope wins the blowoff with Christian, Starks and the rest of the group Conchairto Christian out of the group and Starks assumes control, bringing to fruition Cope’s warning to Christian in the first promo. Christian returns to save Cope during a Starks beat down, and we get the reunited E&C chasing Starks and Bill for the tag titles. 

• Like 4

Christian Cage vs. Bryan Danielson was even better on a second viewing. The fans helping the face, Danielson get up. The "Fuck you, Christian" chants. Nigel McGuinness or Ian Riccaboni is the best commentator in wrestling, leaning towards my fellow Brit. Didn't expect the match to go over 20 minutes, 25:13 according to CageMatch. Might be the longest TNT Championship match ever. My favourite spot was Danielson's running knee countered by a spear followed by the Killswitch for a near fall. Great match.

• Like 3

• Bryan Danielson vs. Konosuke Takeshita. AEW Dynamite, 11th January.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Bandido. AEW Dynamite, 18th January.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Timothy Thatcher. AEW Dynamite, 1st February.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Rush. AEW Dynamite, 8th February.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. MJF. AEW Revolution, 5th March. *****.
  • Anarchy in the Arena. AEW Double or Nothing, 28th May.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Kazuchika Okada. AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door, 25th June.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Ricky Starks. AEW All Out, 3rd September. *****.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Ricky Starks. AEW Collison, 23rd September.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Zack Sabre Jr. AEW WrestleDream, 1st October. *****. The MOTY.
  • Bryan Danielson vs. Christian Cage. AEW Collison, 14th October.

What a year for Bryan Danielson. Up there with 2006, 2013, 2021 and 2022 for his best ever.

Edited by The Natural
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Christian Cage vs. Bryan Danielson was even better on a second viewing. The fans helping the face, Danielson get up. The "Fuck you, Christian" chants. Nigel McGuinness or Ian Riccaboni is the best commentator in wrestling, leaning towards my fellow Brit. Didn't expect the match to go over 20 minutes, 25:13 according to CageMatch. Might be the longest TNT Championship match ever. My favourite spot was Danielson's running knee countered by a spear followed by the Killswitch for a near fall. Great match.

Per Cagematch, the Christian/Darby 2/3 Falls match was 25:17, a mere 4 seconds more than the Danielson match. Regardless, Danielson/Christian did some damn fine work out there.

Edited by porksweats
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, The Natural said:

The fans helping the face, Danielson get up.

This was my favourite part. The fans willing the face to get back up is a wrestling cliche, but seeing them actually tangibly contribute to his getting back up was neat.

• Like 2

Obviously I'll watch Bryan-Christian at some point, but for the first time ever I was actually so turned off by an AEW show (the opening segment) that I decided to do something else with my time. Three former WWE guys doing a WWE segment complete with unfunny humor and references to The Rock. Hard pass. 

• Like 1

Skye/Stat was really good, easily Skye's best match to date. Stat doesn't get enough credit as a workhorse, she routinely gets the most out of everyone she works with. Even though, Skye is teasing a heel turn, this was her best fighting spirit performance where it looked like she had winning chances. She brought the heat, but Stat always had an answer for her. Reminded me of Jungle Boy's first crack at Kenny Omega.

• Like 4

Fun, fun, fun while Tony tweets the haters away! No Promo Montage, well, that’s no fun. Copeland/Christy-Ian/Danielson/FTR/Ricky/Bill talk segment was excellent. Tho, I’m sure the fun police will suggest 'uh, so WWE'. WWE doesn’t move along at that pace, nothing dragged here. There also wasn't 10 minutes of catchphrases before the point. Also, great chance to meet our fantastic TOLEDO crowd! Samoa Joe v Willie Mack was a nice little TV match. Joe allowed for Mack to look like a worthy challenger. CJ Perry/Andretti promo was mildly amusing. I had no reason not to skip Juice v Daniels, and of course did. The post match promo was a bit middling, but happy there wasn’t any more antisemitism for cheap heat. ‘HE’S DUSTIN RHODES!!! AND HE MEANS BUSINESS!!!’ Promo was not unwelcomed. Nick Wayne is a beautiful bad boy! Hotly anticipating this next JR sitdown. I’ve dug ‘Mom’ Wayne each time out. I’m interested to see if she can promo too. Kyle Fletcher v Boulder made for a nice win for the young Aussie. Fletcher v Omega! Fuck yes! Fun Acclaimed segment which I haven’t been able to say in what seems like a long while. I like this Max/Max thing, and Daddy Magic is really killing the promos, as one would expect. I liked hearing them call to attention that they're in Memphis next week. Look forward to that trios bout. And fucking Dave Brown, yes! He was so underrated sitting next to the greatest commentator whom ever lived. Love you Lance!  Stat v Skye was a nice little TV bout. Willow v Stat? Let’s do that, and put the deserved rocket on Willow! Terrific ROOOSH promo! Yeah, let’s get him back to killing folk. Turbo Floyd v Keith Lee was better than your average In Action – Thank you Turbo! Miro promo was alright. Do we really need the Andretti match when he seems to already have him in hand? Rocky Romero/Mistico package was excellent. Nice job Rrrrock! Christy-Ian Cage v Bryan Danielson was every bit as wonderful as one would expect. Shitty finish, but not exactly a surprise. Thank you Toledo! Fun show. AEDub rules the... fuck do I ever miss Dean's posivibes and spot on reviews. 

Edited by HarryArchieGus
  • Like 8

44 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

Skye/Stat was really good, easily Skye's best match to date. Stat doesn't get enough credit as a workhorse, she routinely gets the most out of everyone she works with. Even though, Skye is teasing a heel turn, this was her best fighting spirit performance where it looked like she had winning chances. She brought the heat, but Stat always had an answer for her. Reminded me of Jungle Boy's first crack at Kenny Omega.

It was crazy to me that this was the first interaction of Stat and Skye. They really built up to it with both of them being with AEW for years now and while I was very confident that Stat would walk away with the win, all the talk of her dominance gave me some worry especially with how Skye's been on the ball too now. Stat's definitely got the rust shaken off from her injury and is back in full ring general mode.

• Like 2

That opening promo was one of the cringiest promos I’ve seen in AEW. Edge really stunk it up by first calling Starks a Rock ripoff, then fumbling over his words and landing on calling Starks a “vanilla…midget.”

Can we please get some kind of mandate to not fucking bury the talent you’re trying to create by comparing them to bigger stars? I liked the retort from Starks, but damn, that shit annoys me so much.

Rest of the show ruled and was once again better than Dynamite.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Craig H said:

That opening promo was one of the cringiest promos I’ve seen in AEW. Edge really stunk it up by first calling Starks a Rock ripoff, then fumbling over his words and landing on calling Starks a “vanilla…midget.”

Can we please get some kind of mandate to not fucking bury the talent you’re trying to create by comparing them to bigger stars? I liked the retort from Starks, but damn, that shit annoys me so much.

Rest of the show ruled and was once again better than Dynamite.

The reason it's so cringe is because you know in reality isn't that type of guy to bury talent and we all know he is licking his chops to have a match with Starks. I think he's ultimately going to put him over strong when it's time. I think it was more meant for him not to be outdone by someone who has a reputation in that company to be one of the best promos in that promotion 

• Like 1

Ok, what did we have this week:

Opening segment was like look, these are our top guys tonight, get know them, if you started watching for Adam Copeland, again. Good for what it was.

Throughout the night, the In Action matches ended up being against guys who could have gotten an actual graphic. Christopher Daniels used the way he has been used on ROH as well. Juice Robinson changing from a stack of coins to a thrash ring was like, ok, well be moving on from THAT thing...

Fletcher looked good against Boulder and is feeling quite frisky challenging Omega, after being OWA'd the last time!

Stat vs Skye was good. I wonder if she'll become Black Skye at some point?

Wille Mack had a really good showing against Joe, the crowd did get behind him after a while.

Main event was really good, some excellent combos throughout. Well, Starks wasn't actually banned, so ok, and it made sense because he wants revenge.

Next week's Dynamite looks good, too!

Um, also... So Nick Wayne's mom's name is "Nick Wayne's Mom"?!? Well, that must have drawn Buddy Wayne to her in the first place! "There's the future mother of my children, if there ever was one!"

Edited by Shartnado
If that's your real name...
  • Haha 2

That was a rough episode.  Six matches, four are glorified job matches, and the main ends in a screwy finish.  Remember when WWE was the only place that booked matches where it was clear that creative was like, "uh oh...how do we get out of this one?" I hope this is an aberration and AEW can get back to just booking winners and losers.

I'm not a wresting matches for wrestling matches' sake guy.  I'm not going to eat up JTTS matches just for the love of wrestling.  If I were, I'd still be subbed to ROH.  All that being said, I did watch Mack vs Joe because Willie Mack is awesome.  I typically FFWD Joe matches because he's dull and predictable and "badass man who is badass and beats people up very badass" is passe for me.  But Mack has a fun character and is entertaining.  I'm probably the only person in the world who would say "Willie Mack made Samoa Joe watchable" but that's fine.

Statlander/Skye was easily the match of the night.

I agree with everyone here who said that Edge cutting a promo on Starks that legit buried him was awful.  So either he beats a vanilla midget wannabe Rock, or a vanilla midget wannabe Rock beats him.  That's fucking dumb, and "don't bury your opponents because either way you get fucked in the end" is first day of wrestling school stuff.

I did like the two segment setup and playoff of CJ/Action/Miro.

Bullet Club Gold abandoning the antisemitic gimmick was smart.

This was a two hour Rampage and I did not like it.  And next week we get Collision AND Battle of the Belts.  Fuuuuuuck.

Edited by Technico Support