DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 10/10 - 10/17/2023 - Tuesday Night Wars

The Natural

Big week. We get Tuesday Night Wars as AEW faces NXT. Dynamite features Eddie Kingston vs. Minoru Suzuki and Bryan Danielson vs. Swerve Strickland on Dynamite. Winner of Danielson/Strickland gets a TNT Championship match with Christian Cage on Collison. To quote the late great DEAN, AEW rules the motherfucking world!

• Like 3

Kingston vs Suzuki isn't on Dynamite. It's 30 minutes before Dynamite, on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and Snapchat. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Suzuki vs Kingston: They'll hit each other very hard many times. What I'm most curious about is if Eddie wrestles "bigger" like he did against Komander. My take there was that he was wrestling more like an ace, maybe for the first time in his career. It's one thing to do that against Komander though, and another to do it against Suzuki.
  • Jericho vs Hobbs: On paper, I'd say that there's a Jericho Babyface issue here. The entire story hinges on the fact that Callis thought Jericho wasn't actually as much of a jerk and sleazeball as he actually is, and while that works in a team setting where enemies can team up against a common foe, it's harder when you have a guy who the fans can get behind like Hobbs against a guy who's lukewarm at best as a face in Jericho. That said, Jericho can just sell and try to chip away at Hobbs; I liked Jericho vs Lee well enough. The other problem is that you've got to contend with...
  • Copeland vs Luchasaurus: It's funny. They picked probably the single least interesting guy on the entire roster for Copeland to wrestle first. I can't think of anyone worse along those lines. He's basically more athletic Kane, right? It's not even a bad thing because he's more effective in that role than he is "Too athletic Kane" which is what he used to be. It's just that we know what Edge vs Kane looks like and this shouldn't look much different. There's some question on whether Adam does ANYTHING outside the WWE restrictions, whether that's blood or violence or spots or what. This feels a bit like a security blanket match for him though. How tall is Luchasaurus even? The internet says they're both 6'5" but that doesn't tell me much. I increasingly think that Edge should work like 95 Kevin Nash if he can manage it because most of the roster is smaller than him and that would be different at least. 
  • Swerve vs Danielson: Hell of a two week run for Bryan here. I don't have much to say about this one. It'll be interesting how they approach it. Swerve is committed and does his thing; I don't necessarily like it but I appreciate his vision at least, and Danielson is a guy who can do something with said vision in a big featured match.
  • White vs Page: I don't know. This will probably be ok. White's done ok numbers lately (as did the Page vs Swerve interaction) so maybe it's not bad to start the show with this in the commercial free zone. Maybe have MJF on commentary? Wouldn't hurt to have MJF cost White the match as he steals the belt back regardless. The big problem with Page in this company is that you look at him at any point over the last year or so and you think. "Ok, if he wins this match, what will that position him to do in two months?" and you sort of just throw your hands up and shrug.
  • Shida vs Saraya: They probably should have done the rematch with Shida in New York and the Storm match here as the character needed a few more weeks to really get going. That said, not sure if Toni's act isn't better right now if she DOESN'T have the belt. What I really wanted her to do was to start wearing a version of the Mildred Burke title and claim she beat her for it in Rio. Anyway, this is going to be a match. We will watch it. Maybe he brings Mercedes in to fight fire with fire, but if so, he should really tease it.
  • Moxley vs Fenix: The International Title has lost some steam already, which is a shame. Mox is going to come in with a chip on his shoulder and theoretically, Fenix should come in trying to prove that he belongs there, but I kind of wonder if this won't be a glorified squash to put some heat back behind Moxley.

So yes, this is a big card, but it's not exactly a card full of matches that I specifically want to see. 

• Like 6

• Dolfan in NYC changed the title to AEW TV - 10/10 - 10/17/2023 - Tuesday Night Wars
  • Dolfan in NYC pinned this topic

I really don't like putting Swerve vs Danielson here. Swerve is a couple weeks removed from his biggest singles victory ever and Danielson ain't losing shit on his way to building up to a rematch against ZSJ. I think the match will be great, but in a company where wins and losses matter, man, this is the wrong move for Swerve. Or maybe TK does something wacky and actually has Swerve win, they keep MJF as a babyface, and build to Swerve vs MJF for the title at Revolution?

White vs Page also doesn't make a ton of sense to me. There's no way in hell Knife Pervert is losing since he's already booked for the title match against MJF and this would be two singles losses in a row for Page. Has Page even lost back to back singles matches in AEW? So, what then, the endgame is Swerve and Page both come off of losses to face each other again? That's some dumb UFC booking shit right there. But again, the match should be great!

And poor Fenix. Gets the strap while he's hurt, gets hurt even worse, and this could have all been avoided had Moxley not gotten concussed. At least Moxley works soft enough so the only danger to Fenix is Fenix himself...? So yeah, Fenix probably going to hurt himself even worse this week when he could just take the L by having Moxley work him over with submissions.

They’ve got to do some kind of parity booking with Mox/Fenix where Fenix is out on his feet the whole time and then Mox kills him dead with multiple Death Riders relatively early on. It makes sense to lean into the buzz from the Grand Slam match, and even if both of them are cleared I don’t think they should be trying to go for broke in the shape they’re in. 

Just now, (BP) said:

They’ve got to do some kind of parity booking with Mox/Fenix where Fenix is out on his feet the whole time and then Mox kills him dead with multiple Death Riders relatively early on. It makes sense to lean into the buzz from the Grand Slam match, and even if both of them are cleared I don’t think they should be trying to go for broke in the shape they’re in. 

Mox is at least in better shape than Fenix. He just happened to get concussed. Fenix on the other hand has probably been living with some kind of injury since birth. That dude needs a vacation in the worst way.

1 hour ago, Matt D said:

Jericho vs Hobbs: On paper, I'd say that there's a Jericho Babyface issue here. The entire story hinges on the fact that Callis thought Jericho wasn't actually as much of a jerk and sleazeball as he actually is, and while that works in a team setting where enemies can team up against a common foe, it's harder when you have a guy who the fans can get behind like Hobbs against a guy who's lukewarm at best as a face in Jericho.

I've been a massive fan of Jericho's heel stuff going back to the '90s, and historically have always felt the same as you re: lukewarmth as a babyface, but I'll respectfully disagree in this instance only because he's been a top heel since basically day one here, so there's a bit more freshness to it this time around IMO - it's not just like, a haircut, a new vest, and a couple more 'cmon bay bays' or whatever, his character actually feels a lot different to me here without the IC/JAS to back him up as they always have.

But where I *will* agree huge with you is on Hobbs - fans wanna cheer him, we cheer him every week - its an excellent spot which CERTAINLY beats QTV purgatory, but it's imperative he go over here, otherwise you squander the big return the other week where he ate Jericho/Omega alive

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

I've been a massive fan of Jericho's heel stuff going back to the '90s, and historically have always felt the same as you re: lukewarmth as a babyface, but I'll respectfully disagree in this instance only because he's been a top heel since basically day one here, so there's a bit more freshness to it this time around IMO - it's not just like, a haircut, a new vest, and a couple more 'cmon bay bays' or whatever, his character actually feels a lot different to me here without the IC/JAS to back him up as they always have.

Did you block out the Dan Lambert feud? I don't blame you if you did.

EDIT: Putting it into further context, I came in right around All Out 2021, so that was during the 5 Labors of Jericho bit, and he was a babyface until after Revolution the next year when he formed the JAS. So that (8 months out of ~2 years) is a big chunk of my time with Jericho in AEW really.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

The booking for this show will make more sense if Page and Swerve are both added to the world title match at Full Gear. I don’t really believe that’s where this is going, but it’s the only way I can justify it in my head right now. 

They should’ve teased out the tension with Cope and Christian for a while since everyone’s so down on the Luchasaurus match. It makes perfect sense with where they’re going with it, but they probably should’ve just hot shotted him into a match with Omega or something. TK’s recurring weakness with his big signings is thinking he’ll have all the time in the world with these major acts to get to the marquee matches, and then shit goes sideways and the opportunities are lost. 

13 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Did you block out the Dan Lambert feud? I don't blame you if you did.

EDIT: Putting it into further context, I came in right around All Out 2021, so that was during the 5 Labors of Jericho bit, and he was a babyface until after Revolution the next year when he formed the JAS. So that (8 months out of ~2 years) is a big chunk of my time with Jericho in AEW really.

Actually yes, entirely! Man, I feel silly. I guess the one thing from my last post that stands is the lack of IC/JAS around him this go 'round.

• Like 1

Goddammit, last week's thread is closed, so short form of Collision thoughts as follows:

New tag champs! And FTR was squashed! Well, Aussie Open took so much out them that who was next in line was likely to take it! Very good, as Starks and Large William vs Young Bucks will be a fresh match!

Fletcher vs Dragon was awesome! Quite the couple of weeks for Fletcher. He deserves all the success he can get!

Was there some sort of (um,) BEHIND the scenes reason that Tony Storm faced and beat the only two wrestlers on the roster with a behind more magnificent than hers? It seemed kind of obvious.

Speaking of... Cocaine Bear Country is really trying to get that one bit over, huh? Well, in AEW you can try to get stuff over and not get buried if it does, so why not?

Eddie Kingston is on a roll, here! Good to see him finally win with regularity.

I feel like Nick Wayne will make a decent heel. Now AR Fox can go after him again, and it's fine, since Wayne never forgave him in the first place!

Christian Cage did not want Adam to come and mess up the good thing he has going. I'm guessing he stopped taking Adam's calls around when he actually became the TNT-Champion?

Looking forward to Dynamite tonight (or tomorrow afternoon for me)! I'm glad it's a day early!

• Like 4

I drove around the general area of the Cable Dahmer Arena getting/retrieving lunch today. Here’s my report

1) I didn’t see anybody who looked like a pro wrestler. But it’s possible some of them were in cars.

2) there weren’t a lot of people at Popeyes (which is a little bit SE of the CDA). I got two pieces spicy combo for $10.

3) Ozzy was on the radio as I drove past the arena but this didn’t summon Chris Jericho to rush my car

4) Hooters did not look busy at 11:35am

5) The classic rock station mentioned both the card tonight and the WWE House Show on Saturday night. They’re offering tickets to the WWE show.

Nice mid 60s temps. Should get a little higher. We’re actually experiencing autumn around here after a late start.

Now time to eat some chicken

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Zakk_Sabbath said:

It summoned me instead - sorry to disappoint! Have a great time man

I’m not actually going to the show but I’ll be watching it as a non-Nielsen family

Unless they’re completely shitty at filming now. They should be able to make the arena look larger than it is. After West Valley City, Independence is gonna look jam packed. A lot of the empty seats on Wrestletix are long away from the ring.

Tony has lots of things going on but eventually he will acknowledge Independence instead of calling it Kansas City.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

I’m not actually going to the show but I’ll be watching it as a non-Nielsen family

Unless they’re completely shitty at filming now. They should be able to make the arena look larger than it is. After West Valley City, Independence is gonna look jam packed. A lot of the empty seats on Wrestletix are long away from the ring.

Tony has lots of things going on but eventually he will acknowledge Independence instead of calling it Kansas City.

FWIW, I thought they did a really, really nice job shooting Collision this week, and according to Wrestletix tonight should have ~400-500 more in attendance than that

It’s a small arena for an ECHL team. So you gotta figure that the acoustics are probably good.

The interesting thing is that I think I’ve been to wrestling shows in that arena that used both sides of the floor. NXT in 2017 will be using largely the same side of the area that AEW uses. Back in 2010, TNA ran a house show here that used the other smaller side of the floor.

I’m not a camera wizard, but I think filming close on ringside also creates an illusion that the arena is physically way larger than it actually.

Clearly the show has to be drawing somewhat well because they haven’t had to false advertise Taylor Swift or Travis Kelce. (Although it would be neat for Tony to finally meet a championship football player after so many years of owning the Jags)

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Clearly the show has to be drawing somewhat well because they haven’t had to false advertise Taylor Swift or Travis Kelce. (Although it would be neat for Tony to finally meet a championship football player after so many years of owning the Jags)

#1 that was cold as hell (if not entirely accurate)

#2 - she used to babysit Double J's kids, and homeboy never loses a phone number...

• Like 2

Can you imagine how even more unhinged and crazy 1998 Shawn Michaels would be been if

A.  Social Media existed

B.  Eric Bischoff called him the equivalent of BALD ASSHOLE on said social media the day of said "WARZZZ".    

Edited by hammerva
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1