DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/22/2023

The Natural

I think I will be alone on this one but sort of adjacent to the MJF discussion, am I the only one who knows way too many guys like Daddy Magic irl to find his character and promos (even just facial expressions) amusing at this point? He's over way beyond his push so I'm not even suggesting I'm justified in my being so put off by him but he's definitely reached that Enzo-level of "go away" unpleasantness for me personally (and maybe exclusively). 

OC vs Wheeler was every bit as good and emotional as I thought it would be. 

It was nice that there was an actual point to The Acclaimed tag match, as in The Gunns asked their Firm associates to take them out.

I wasn't paying too much attention to the tag team battle royal, as I was cooking at the same time, but it was good to know that we'll get an actual match with Aussie Open. Jarrett and Lethal at least tie in with the storylines of the past few months, but the 4-way tag will probably lean into the entertainment aspect of pro wrestling, no matter who the final team will be.

Good for Ruby to get a shot at the title on PPV, but can she come this close once again, only to lose? Magic 8-Ball says "very likely".

Starks outsmarts Jericho, let's see if JAS really stays away. If they won't, will there be any consequences?

Main event was bloody. It went how I (and everyone else) figured it would.

Yay for HOB addressing The Elite on Friday.

Oh, and the MJF vs Dragon got personal. I have no problem with that.

Edited by Shartnado
There was MJF promo, too...
  • Like 2

Thursday Reflections:  The Yuta/ Cassidy was awesome because it was an extended Malenko/Guerrero roll-up sequence broken up by massive violence.  It would always come down to a roll-up sequence after no matter where the match went.  Big Bill does a full Rick Rude groinular gyration in the INTERNATIONAL FEED and Big Bill is maybe the greatest professional wrestlers to ever enter the squared circle.  Big Bill and Moriarty are the secret great heel tagteam of AEW.  Saraya not quite keeping up with Skye Blue makes me think that Ruby Soho will be doing a lot of the heavy lifting in the three way.  I like Saraya and am going for her even though US women's wrestling has passed her by.  She can be an old school heat machine and they should definitely work around her inadequacies in the ring.  Jeff Jarrett takes over the battle royal during the second picture in picture, assaulting Trent at ringside with chairs.  A battle royal makes my head hurt but I love how AEW gets so much mileage out of such a goofy concept.  Taz after Evil Uno comes off the top to the floor,  "That's like a Fiat landing on ya."  MOX is to the Dark Order what Bryan Danielson is to the New Signees of AEW- the best matches they have had- Hangman and then Preston Vance and now Evil Uno.  I await the glory of MOX vs John Silver and the inevitable MOX vs Alex Reynolds.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Regarding Daddy Magic, any time my friends or me cut a jokey promo we just wind up sounding like how Daddy Magic sounds, minus the accent. It's like if you threw an early Macho Man WWF promo, any Ric Flair promo, a Rock promo, and an Austin promo into a blender.

I love Jericho getting outsmarted. Last time it happened was with the match against Scorpio Sky. This was pretty much the same thing, but old man Jericho leans into it so much that it works. 

• Like 3

Maybe I skimmed past it, but have we not discussed how Uno was fucking squirting blood out of his head like a damn Willy Water Bug (look it up, kids)!?!?

I mean, it was like shooting out when Mox choked him. Incredible.

4 minutes ago, Log said:

Maybe I skimmed past it, but have we not discussed how Uno was fucking squirting blood out of his head like a damn Willy Water Bug (look it up, kids)!?!?

Dean had this: http://deathvalleydriver.com/forum/index.php?/topic/10349-aew-dynamite-2222023/&do=findComment&comment=1280047

• Like 1

The competing sources of audio does make it so that I didn't necessarily hear all of the MJF promo, which is probably for the best. I work off of the vibes of how cool or bad stuff looks.

Also, I guess, in theory, there was an incentive for Big Bill/Moriarty to be facing the Acclaimed instead of being in the Tag Team battle royal? At the very least, they have to have some teams for next week's battle royal that weren't in this week's battle royal?

Re: International Feed (Audio Effects: Karaoke Filter – cuts commentary, (so grateful to be able to watch with) crowd and ringside audio only)

To no one's surprise Yuta and Orange put on an absolute delight! I was secretly rooting for the draw, but was happy with the Cassidy win. Special kudos to Claudio for all his great work here. Hot crowd and hot off the drop. Is Renee doing Norma Jean this week? Nice promo from Uno. Nicely executed promo segment from Ricky Starks followed. Jericho was solid here too. They need to find more ways to showcase Ricky as the smooth operator, yeah Sade style. I’m with @Dean on the awesome duo of Big Bill and young Lee. Lee’s really getting that air guitar down like a pro! I like how this pair has served up the Jobs, but before it’s over I’d like a bit of a run. Gold? Maybe. Thanks in part to our heels, the Acclaimed look really good here. Nice finish. I think they’d be wise to give the Gunns some TV wins going into the (ugh!) 4 way. Loved the Cage-Jungle Boy segment –the absolute antithesis to those lengthy WWE promo segments I ffwd thru every week. I was only half watching Saraya and Skye Blue, but I dug what I saw.

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

I like Saraya and am going for her even though US women's wrestling has passed her by.  She can be an old school heat machine and they should definitely work around her inadequacies in the ring. 

Absolutely! I also get the impression that Saraya has more to offer on the other side of 'shaking off off the ring rust'. Crowd was into Skye for some of this, but I’m guessing it was during the PiP? Toni is so good, other than the blatant cheating in front of blind Aubrey while on the apron. I wonder if maybe it’s time to move on from the clearly failing spray cans experiment. Good Hayter promo followed, but I hate the logic of the Champion putting herself in a Triple Threat match. Excellent promo segment with Danielson and MJF. Obviously minus the nonsense of Danielson standing around after the threat while Max cuts wise on his family. The brawl was excellent here. Great finish! I also like that they took a breath to recap it. The Battle Royal was fine. Too much nonsense tho. I’m with the thinking that these Battle Royals oughtta have some tighter rules. I sense a few ppl are coming around on the Memphis Excellence of Jarrett/Lethal/Dutt/Satnam. Two battle royals to determine two opponents for a PPV match is not one of the better AEW creative ideas. House of Black with a fairly concise promo – better than usual. I was hoping for a similar level of letdown TK announcement for the ROH TV show. Yeah, Adam Jesus Cole! Just a simple blow dry I bet! I’m game for All Access, looking forward to it even. Moxley and Uno had a nice little battle there. Uno jumping from shirts to skins as he’s been doing lately isn’t a great Visual choice. Wow, I could not believe what I was seeing on that finish. Blood gushing out of the Evil One's mask and head.  Wait, what the fuck was that music playing when Hangman came running down? Please don’t tell me they’ve switched him away from arguably their best original theme. Deep breath. Terrific show as per usual!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DEAN said:

I like Saraya and am going for her even though US women's wrestling has passed her by.  She can be an old school heat machine and they should definitely work around her inadequacies in the ring

Considering that Paige really got over because she wasn't one of the WWE Divas-era womens wrestlers, I guess there would be ways to be a heel that leans back into that era to counter all the current era womens wrestlers.

Saraya probably has some unused British carnival tricks that she could use in a match to be even more old school. She has the advantage that she could rip off her mom (or other relatives) and not have it be obvious since most American fans haven't seen that stuff. Charlotte Flair doesn't have that sort of advantage going for her.

If some other wrestlers did the "I'm working like a 2000s WWE Diva" heel act, I'd be concerned about the possibility that they'd accidentally get over as a face among the fans that miss that sort of thing. Saraya can probably avoid that.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Log said:

As captain of the Evil Uno Appreciation Station I am in favor of regular praise of all things Evil Uno. Even his bleeding is neat.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Andrew POE! said:

Okay good to know you think a mental health issue is a work.

If they gave him a live mic in-between a mental health event and a sabbatical to do the "fire me you fucking mark" promo, that's a pretty irresponsible decision for the company to have made, right?

I think that on-screen MJF kinda comes off like a dialed back wrestling version of Gamergate chuds.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Cobra Commander said:

Saraya probably has some unused British carnival tricks that she could use in a match to be even more old school. She has the advantage that she could rip off her mom (or other relatives) and not have it be obvious since most American fans haven't seen that stuff. Charlotte Flair doesn't have that sort of advantage going for her.

Tell me you’ve never seen her Mum wrestle without telling me you’ve never seen her Mum wrestle.

The thing about the Knight family is, they are terrible at wrestling. Had to start a whole arse promotion just to get booked. And they’ve been working a “World of Sport is dead, ape America” style the whole time.

3 minutes ago, AxB said:

Tell me you’ve never seen her Mum wrestle without telling me you’ve never seen her Mum wrestle

My perception that her family is barely keeping themselves out of jail isn't that inaccurate, right?

But there's probably a certain amount of their BS that might play a different here compared to how it plays in the UK?