DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/22/2023

The Natural

Before anyone freaks out that Tony Khan is using television time improperly, All Access is something that *WBD* wanted.

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/aew/wbd-working-with-aew-on-figuring-out-new-content-thats-not-in-a-wrestling-ring

Speaking with the Hollywood Reporter, WBD US Networks Group chair and chief content office Kathleen Finch talked about how scripted programming is still a focus of the company despite recent moves that would indicate otherwise.

A goal is to find more programming that can hold the men viewing their networks for sports and part of that strategy is shoulder programming off those sports.

Enter AEW.

"We really play in the sports space. One of the things that we’re doing around sports is creating shoulder programming to hold onto those fans. AEW pulls huge numbers, so we are working with the wrestling team to figure out what new kind of content can we build that’s not in a wrestling ring," she said.

Edited by Dog
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, porksweats said:

All Access should be a blast, better post Dynamite watching than Power Slap. Also makes sense of WBD's Unscripted mandate.

I just watched Robert Trujillo slap the fuck out of his opponent. No, he's not the bassist for Metallica. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Dog said:

Before anyone freaks out that Tony Khan is using television time improperly, All Access is something that *WBD* wanted.

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/aew/wbd-working-with-aew-on-figuring-out-new-content-thats-not-in-a-wrestling-ring

As long as we progress some storyline and it supplements the current AEW programming rather than just being Rhodes To The Top-esque we'll be balling.

Just now, tbarrie said:

Brian Danielson: "Don't mention my kids or I'll beat the shit out of you!"

MJF: Mentions Danielson's kids

Brian Danielson: Stands in the ring and makes faces

The rest of the show was okay.

"I'll beat the shit out of you as soon as I don't have to go through the ropes to do it"

Pretty much everything was good to great.

Battle royal dragged in the middle, but the finishing stretch was fantastic. Satnam continues to look like the coolest motherfucker around and showed an impressive motor getting from one side of the ring to the other to save both Lethal and Jarrett.

Loving bully Saraya.

I spent the last 3 days watching H2O and ICW cards and I don't think anyone hit as good a gusher as Uno did tonight.

Cole's hair was majestic.

Less good was the MJF-Danielson segment, this whole feud has been pretty bad....but I literally just forgot about that whole segment until now, so great show!

Edited by elizium
  • Like 6

Really liked tonight's show!

OC and Yuta had a really fun opener.

Platinum Max dropped some 🔥 bars tonight!

Thought Jericho did a great job with his promo and the PEN CLICK

Battle Royale was pretty good. Great to see Aussie Open back! And don't kill me but I'm a fan of Double J in AEW

Mox and Uno served its purpose quite well. Uno gamely hung with Mox. Loved the hot ending to the show.

Another super fun 2 hours of pro wres!

• Like 8

That was a very fun episode, and I was glad to spend it with the homeys on the Discord.

Evil Uno is welcome to spill his blood in the tradition of los Brazos cause it's worthy of a fellow fatboy with a mask, especially when he has such a great piledriver.

You can replay Yuter vs. Orange ALL the time, EVERY time. We also need Jarrett/Sonjay/Satnam vs. Dalton/Orange/...it could be one of the Boys but I wanna say Trent? That would be dope as hell. Really you could post in anyone. Pick a Dark Order guy or one of the Boys, give them some time. 

Taz: "The positioning of the body" hahaha. Also he called Danhausen "Danstein", because of course he did because it's Taz. 

The battle royale with tag team rules was perfectly stupid but still ended up great because of dumb-ass shenanigans, Sonjay being completely insane the entire time, Satnam being an awesome giant, and Jarrett (am I saying this?!) being a great heel. There you go; my giving-up of Lent for this year. 

Edited by Curt McGirt
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

Seems to be on account of a photoshoot for All Access promotional material. Check the Variety article. 

They got to keep that makeup artist on retainer. Just think about what they could do with Jungle Boy

• Like 1

I didn't watch the show but from reading the results - AEW needs to chill out with having people getting busted open on live TV. Yeah, Evil Uno's bladejob was great but how does it help him? He essentially jobbed out to Jon Moxley and got busted open so Moxley can look tough for his "That's Right You're Not From Texas" Death Match with Hangman Page. But Jack Perry gets busted open during his segment with Christian.

I would argue to save the blood for the PPV. I mean they could always bring Nick Gage back and have him use a pizza cutter.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Matt D said:

I like this announcement more. 

New York (August 3, 2010) – Total Nonstop Action (TNA) Wrestling President Dixie Carter and TNA Managing Partner Hulk Hogan today announced the series premiere of “TNA ReACTION,” that will air on Thursday nights beginning August 12 at 11:00 pm (ET/PT) on Spike TV.

“TNA ReACTION” will immediately follow TNA™'s flagship program “TNA iMPACT!,” which airs from 9-11PM (ET/PT) every Thursday to create a three-hour bloc, “TNA Thursdays,” on Spike TV.

“TNA ReACTION” is a one hour docu-style series that will bring the characters, story, and drama of TNA Wrestling™'s long running action format “iMPACT!” to life in an entirely new and unique way.

• Haha 1

Oh yeah! We also talked about how cool the women's division would be if Rosa wasn't stuck on commentary and Statlander wasn't out injured, and I brought out how Saraya is now Cibernetico. My non-apologies for the latter. Still, they have a super division now, except the lack of one Allie Catch...

• Like 2