DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/22/2023

The Natural

No NBA, The Challenge finale was last week, the crowd was hot and sounded good on TV, solid segments kept viewers on the hook, ratings fluctuate all on their own and Nielsens are irrelevant in 2023. Because pro wrestling is a fake sport watched by fans of real sports, you have a situation where the fanbase craves some objective numbers to measure how well a team (or in this case, promotion) is doing. So you have huge chunks of the IWC squawking about numbers that they care about more than any TV exec. Let these ratings both remind you that pro wrestling is in a very good place right now and that none of this shit matters.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 14

6 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

So the admins had to create a separate thread for ratings because everyone here cried that they didn't want to look at bad news, but the minute Dynamite pops an ok rating it's suddenly alright to post ratings in the show threads again?

Strange bunch

Since you're one of the four or five posters who meets this criteria on this board - there are people out there who actually get upset when a televised pro-wrestling show does a good rating because it conflicts with their negative projections and enjoyment of a fanbase's disappointment. I'd call that a stranger bunch.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

So the admins had to create a separate thread for ratings because everyone here cried that they didn't want to look at bad news, but the minute Dynamite pops an ok rating it's suddenly alright to post ratings in the show threads again?

Strange bunch

Log's not an admin, people just did that on their own. You're presumably welcome to post about Dynamite ratings in any Dynamite thread you please. 

OC vs Yuta was good stuff. Really liked Claudio's presence being the transition from respectful, competitive chain wrestling to a more heated, aggressive Yuta and how the match escalated from there. OC's Orange Punch is still a laughable finisher but I did like how much of an exclamation mark was put on that ending. And Claudio/Yuta walking out smartly set the scene for the BCC being heels going into the main event. 

I'll be in the group who enjoyed the Bryan vs MJF promo. I mean I didn't love it or anything, and MJF's act is what it is, but I do enjoy the depth they bring to his character. Yes, he is a total scumbag and villain, but he's not just bad for the sake of bad - he's a broken, flawed human being in and out of the ring. 

Saraya and this whole womens' division angle is auto-skip material for me at this point. There are much more interesting match-ups for Hayter's title run and at this point I'd even be more interested than a predictable Britt vs Hayter break up.

Satnam is a wonderful heater for the JJ group. They use him much better than WWE has used any Green Giant in years and years. Compare to how he is used vs Omos and it is night and day. I can get Lethal/Jarrett winning despite having recently feuded with the Acclaimed, I can see them going with 3 heel teams to really keep the Acclaimed hot, but I'm not sure who's the fourth team. Maybe Lucha Bros? Are they still heel? Would be a while since they've been left off PPV.

Moxley vs Uno was good fun and achieved what it needed to. Heck, it could have gone a beat longer if anything. Uno is one of those indy guys who kinda sucked in his prime but improved as the years piled on and he reached veteran status. The Moxley vs Page feud has been pretty rad, though I don't disagree with those saying Mox bleeds too regularly. Maybe the barbwire should have been saved for the go home as the last bit of juice to have Page escalating the violence Moxley-style. I enjoy Moxley way more than I do Page, but Page absolutely is the right guy to go over here.

Strong start and finish this week, thought the middle was pretty blah though.

Edited by Steventon
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Andrew POE! said:

Okay good to know you think a mental health issue is a work.

I don't want to speak for him, but I took it as him telling you wrestling is a work. As in it's ridiculous you think what happened wasn't predetermined. Or that any performer would be allowed to lie about what he was going to say and the mic wouldn't be shut off, or they wouldn't go to break. It didn't get posted on Youtube for the exact purpose of your argument. To make it seem real, because everything gets posted on Twitter & Youtube. It was a predetermined choice to make the angle appear real.

I promise you there's not a single guy that would be allowed to go off script on live TV like that. Well except for Punk's Hangman call out. But that was a 30 second bit that was moved on from and one of those things no one really understood what was happening until after the fact.

I get you don't like MJF. And that's perfectly okay. We all have our likes and dislikes. But don't let your real dislike for the performer cloud your judgement. He doesn't book the show or his own angle. Everything he does is at least bullet point approved and scripted into the format. Just keep that in the back of the mind when you do voice your criticisms.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Octopus said:

Evil Uno is the Bunny of male wrestlers: a God Damn draw.

Harmlessly spooky, of a relatable athletic capability, gracious and compelling YouTube hosts, secretly Canadian, filled with GROSS BLEEDY BLOOD. Yeah, it checks out.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, John from Cincinnati said:

I'm told the measurement pertains to viewers who watched at least 1 minute of TBS on Wednesday from 7pm-12am, each week on average in 2022. A WBD spokesperson told Wrestlenomics: "[W]e attribute most of that success to AEW Dynamite."

I think it's pretty clear that Big Bang reruns are bringing numbers to Dynamite, rather than vice versa, but hey, whatever gets AEW a fatter contract.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, matt925 said:

Interesting to see some details on how networks come up with the ridiculous fake numbers. 

Nielsen ratings themselves are a ridiculous metric too, since not everyone who watches any given show has a Nielsen box.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, odessasteps said:

Getting people to post in the "correct thread" is like herding cats and likely not worth the aggravation for Phil or Dolfan to enforce. 

If the ratings are bad, you have to use the other thread because we don't want to bog the Dynamite thread down with ratings nerd talk.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DEAN said:

If the ratings are bad, you have to use the other thread because we don't want to bog the Dynamite thread down with ratings nerd talk.

Lol, silly wabbit, the majority of posters on this site will never admit the ratings are bad. 

Just to clarify, I’m not saying they are bad.  I have no idea, outside of an occasional comment from Meltzer.  

I forgot to comment yesterday. I thought the show was pretty good. I'll have to find OC/Yuta because I missed that match. But I enjoyed the rest of the show.

Uno vs. Mox was way better than it had any right to be. I wasn't expecting Uno to bleed a ton but he did. Mox needs to go a week without some blood. I like blood in matches, but it's getting ridiculous with him every week. I agree with the notion that I would have saved it for the go home show. Page needs a big win and I hope he comes out on top in this.

• Like 3