DVDVR Message Board

AEW Dynamite - 2/22/2023

The Natural

3 minutes ago, Belgian_Waffle said:

Battle royale was real bad even by battle royale standards but at least Aussie Open got dumped quick. Feel kinda like Jarrett and Lethal has no business winning since we've already seen them against the Acclaimed a bunch. 

I thought maybe they were doing an Acclaimed vs their enemies kind of thing for the 4 way but other than Swerve/Lee, who have since broken up, I can’t think of any other recent teams that have been tied to the Acclaimed that could fit into the 4th spot

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

New York (August 3, 2010) – Total Nonstop Action (TNA) Wrestling President Dixie Carter and TNA Managing Partner Hulk Hogan today announced the series premiere of “TNA ReACTION,” that will air on Thursday nights beginning August 12 at 11:00 pm (ET/PT) on Spike TV.

“TNA ReACTION” will immediately follow TNA™'s flagship program “TNA iMPACT!,” which airs from 9-11PM (ET/PT) every Thursday to create a three-hour bloc, “TNA Thursdays,” on Spike TV.

“TNA ReACTION” is a one hour docu-style series that will bring the characters, story, and drama of TNA Wrestling™'s long running action format “iMPACT!” to life in an entirely new and unique way.

Dude ... scroll up the fucking page, for God's sake.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On MJF - I don't like it. The suicide stuff has no place in a form of entertainment that's otherwise so escapist, and in one that has had so many tragedies of a similar nature. Significant portions of that locker room were and still are affected by Sweeney, Daffney, Hana, Kanyon, Benoit, etc. Being the embodiment of every Type B Personality Disorder is not the edgy, modern gimmick the world needs. Histrionic narcissism and violent, rejection-based dysphoria are fun when used in very broad strokes to define a heel, but this isn't that.

I haven't felt comfortable sharing this theory in public, but if this is the way they want to present this than I feel better about wondering it aloud - Given the "realness" of MJF's ADD stories and promo against William Regal, I think MJF's no-show / tanking of the Wardlow match could have been a legitimate mental health incident that the company covered for / kayfabed. I think the awkward amount of time between the stretcher job and the devil mask comeback could have been to make time for a mental health break. I take no joy in speculating on this, I just see patterns. I understand you're supposed to use your personal experiences to cut better promos but a lot of people don't realize theater isn't therapy. It's not mentally healthy for the performer to have their struggles applauded for being a viable storytelling device. I'd like to be wrong about this and feel icky for sharing my thoughts, but they're running this stuff on TV.

Edited by John E. Dynamite
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nineteen said:

I did like the crowd reaction to MJF. He's tried to pull the sob story a few times and it did get people on his side for a minute (these were masterful when he was feuding with Punk) but he's officially in boy who cried wolf territory and the crowd just wasn't having it. 

SRS is reporting he and his fiancé really did split.

probably not the best day for SRS to try dropping more news though

If MJF didn't do the "fire me, you mark" promo a few days after the Wardlow match. It would be easier to believe @John E. Dynamite's theory. "Okay, we'll cover for your mental health break, but you can shoot a promo before taking that break" is a stretch.

Edited by Cobra Commander
  • Like 1

Wheeler-OC was great, at first I thought it was thrown together too fast but they did a good job of putting it across in ring as sort of a culmination of the original split, with Yuta showing how he’s gotten way tougher and thus making OC have to fight a lot harder. Whoever called it a great 3 act story was spot on. Would be interesting if Claudio/BCC toughness eventually costs Yuta the Pure title for closed fists. Honestly, I wouldn’t mind both dropping their ROH belts and getting into the tag title scene.

Starks-Jericho promo was very Bugs Bunny-Daffy Duck, let’s see what happens with the match.

What was next, Acclaimed-Firm? Max’s rap was good, Big Bill was funny.

Christian-Jack Perry was a decent brawl but I’m not invested in the story.

Saraya-Skye did a decent job of putting over Skye, who totally carried the match and dealt with multiple Saraya botches. Post-match was more straightforward than my convulsed booking, but I still think Ruby forms a third group. PPV could be good if they focus on Ruby and Hayter.

I liked the second half of the MJF promo which he mostly stole from greater talkers, the suicide bit was disgusting. Brawl was solid, I want Bryan to win but I know he won’t and MJF is going to say lots more dumb 4chan shit and wrestle every 6 weeks.

Battle Royale, as always, was a mess but set up some matches I want to see, ok mostly Aussie Open-Top Flight. Satnam was fun. Fenix lasted longer than Penta. Going by the graphic, 2.0 is going to win next week.

Have no opinion about the announcement or Adam Cole, other than I don’t think I’ll watch the show. But it makes the Network happy and I guess it can help turn Cole face, I don’t know.

Main...I honestly thought it should’ve been more of a squash. Seeing UNO’s loose mask early in the night made me realize he was going to bleed, and boy did he ever, especially in the final choke sequence.

• Like 3

Dear god this OC/Yuta match is fantastic. I know I say it for literally every one of his matches but OC is a genius. He might not be the best worker in the world but he is my favorite and also he might be the best. All of these matches are so ridiculously laid out for the story they are telling. His shtick elevates the story instead of being the story. And OC also rally has incredible timing in moving from shtick to stepping up his game and showing ferocity and then reverting back to being cool.

Someone like Yuta or PAC are such great foils for him because they are such awesome juxtapositions in being ultra serious, so his mind games really work. This is such a great story of each guy knowing everything the other guy can do and using their own moves against each other. The announce team really did a great job showing how serious OC was getting in that match. Yuta was a great prick. The end of the match felt a lot like OC giving his finger to everyone who craps on him (if anyone even does anymore) because he is so so so so so great. 

My one note: Yuta in his promo on Rampage said he was bullied by Trent but he seems to respond favorably when Claudio slaps him in the face and scolds him like a child for thinking about hugging OC post-match. Small notes. This was another OC classic and we are so lucky we get to see him pull these things out.

Like I said a few weeks ago: He is The Fountains of Wayne of pro wrestling. If you only know them from Stacy’s Mom then I apologize. But those of us who are fans recognize them as writing nothing but perfectly crafted power-pop songs for multiple albums that sound simple and disposable but when you break them down are so singularly brilliant. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Sorry for more effusive praise of the genius that is OC. But I really think he is at the Danielson level of being able to have a good match with literally anyone. Obviously they would be different matches but it is just insane how many good matches he has with so many different people. OC could carry me to a watchable match.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

Sorry for more effusive praise of the genius that is OC. But I really think he is at the Danielson level of being able to have a good match with literally anyone. Obviously they would be different matches but it is just insane how many good matches he has with so many different people. OC could carry me to a watchable match.

People don't understand how good you have to be to pull that gimmick off. I've seen numerous indy guys do a version of it and it's like comparing a beer league player to McDavid.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Greggulator said:

You’re not alone, he’s on an 8-month roll right now and a top 5 if not top 3 guy right. Also all I know of Fountains of Wayne is that the main guy ended up writing most all the songs for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, which was a mostly excellent show with amazing music.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dolphman 3000 said:

I love the "undercover cops have to identify themselves"-esque logic being used by at least person responding to Dave asking "why would the Turner Network President lie about that"

AEW should just use their number compared to the WWE Nielsen numbers to claim to be the #1 wrestling show on Cable, and then insist their claim is right because "Raw isn't a wrestling show"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like a lot of wrestling fans I get nostalgic for things from my childhood that actually kind of sucked so I'm sort of into the idea of the Gunna cheating their way through a title reign way longer than what anyone anticipates and becoming the AEW version of the Quebecers during their 93/94 tag title run. Although more objectively the Acclaimed should win the belts back sometime this summer. 

2 minutes ago, JLowe said:

You’re not alone, he’s on an 8-month roll right now and a top 5 if not top 3 guy right. Also all I know of Fountains of Wayne is that the main guy ended up writing most all the songs for Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, which was a mostly excellent show with amazing music.

Dream match for us: OC vs. Jeff Jarrett, OC vs. Dustin or OC vs. Swerve?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Log said:

I didn’t get the impression it was a reality show. I took it as more documentary-type features. More like those things WWE used to do. Was that one called 24? Something with a number. I’m drawing a blank. Those “day in the life” half hour specials on the network. 

It’s definitely a reality show. Probably the replacement for Rhodes to the Top season two

• Like 2