DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

y3kYq0.gif

So Jake Roberts is a liar. I mean, of course he is, lying in that whisper voice so that people would have to lean in and listen. He's a prince of lies, one of the best liars that there ever was. But he's especially so about the DDT. That's Black Gordman hitting one on Santo. You can go to youtube and find him in 77 hitting one against Inoki/Choshu. And you can find him in the early 80s on NWA Classics in Houston, during 84, very close to the time that Jake was back into Mid-South, when Houston was using Mid-South talent. 

That old story about him locking in a facelock and falling down and the crowd going nuts? Yeah, no.

Gordman also kicks out two absolutely deliberate STOs in the Classics match too, in 1984.

The Eva Marie super push is obvious but no way she'll get the belt. Very, very rarely do they just put a championship on someone that unqualified for it. Also, the way the Observer makes it sound is that the idea is that she's "proving her critics wrong through hard work." She's clearly being positioned as a heel here. The story they're trying to tell doesn't make sense.The%20Miz.jpg

I am in no way a fan of Miz, but at the time he had potential and could carry his end of a match.  He should have lost the belt to Lawler for a day, but that is not his fault.

Rollins is a bigger failure as champion. Which is not really his fault, but whoever had the idea to let him ever talk.

In Jakes defense, with all the drugs he's done he probably thinks it happened that way. It's also entirely possible people in Georgia or where ever he was when he did it had never seen such a move. Besides wrestling is built on stealing something from someone else. Pro wrestling used to be three and half hour matches of guys just rolling around with each other trying to get a pin before someone thought "hey what if I pick this guy up and drop him on his back". That worked and the next thing you know everyone is doing a body slam than a suplex and so on and so forth.

y3kYq0.gif

So Jake Roberts is a liar. I mean, of course he is, lying in that whisper voice so that people would have to lean in and listen. He's a prince of lies, one of the best liars that there ever was. But he's especially so about the DDT. That's Black Gordman hitting one on Santo. You can go to youtube and find him in 77 hitting one against Inoki/Choshu. And you can find him in the early 80s on NWA Classics in Houston, during 84, very close to the time that Jake was back into Mid-South, when Houston was using Mid-South talent. 

That old story about him locking in a facelock and falling down and the crowd going nuts? Yeah, no.

Gordman also kicks out two absolutely deliberate STOs in the Classics match too, in 1984.

There is a chance he thought of it independently.

• Like 2

y3kYq0.gif

I'd say that's entirely possible, its not like tape trading or the internet were around back then. Could be a situation like what happened with Nova and Christopher Daniels both "innovating" the Spin Doctor/Roll of the Dice/Queens Crossbow.

• Like 1

Boesch @ Houston, TX – Sam Houston Coliseum – December 16, 1983
Rick Rood & Tony Torres d. Carl Fergie & Hacksaw Higgins
Krusher Darsow d. George Weingroff
El Bracero d. Jeff Sword
Lanny Poffo d. Tom Lintz
Hacksaw Duggan d. Jake Roberts
Jose Lothario d. Black Gordman
Jim Neidhart & Butch Reed d. Steve Williams & Mr. Wrestling II
Nikolai Volkoff d. Junkyard Dog

Magic bullet.

(That's mostly a joke, I know Jake may have done it a few years before. I've seen 3-4 Gordman matches over a span of decades, though and he uses it in almost all of them. The guy was one of the biggest talents in CA for a long period of time.)

I'd say that's entirely possible, its not like tape trading or the internet were around back then. Could be a situation like what happened with Nova and Christopher Daniels both "innovating" the Spin Doctor/Roll of the Dice/Queens Crossbow.

Or Scott Steiner inventing the Frankensteiner without ever having seen a Huracanrana (or seeing Jacky Chan do one in Project A (1986)).

The Eva Marie super push is obvious but no way she'll get the belt. Very, very rarely do they just put a championship on someone that unqualified for it. Also, the way the Observer makes it sound is that the idea is that she's "proving her critics wrong through hard work." She's clearly being positioned as a heel here. The story they're trying to tell doesn't make sense.The%20Miz.jpg

I am in no way a fan of Miz, but at the time he had potential and could carry his end of a match.  He should have lost the belt to Lawler for a day, but that is not his fault.

Rollins is a bigger failure as champion. Which is not really his fault, but whoever had the idea to let him ever talk.

I'll admit I think the Miz is pretty good, especially during his title run,  Probably one of those guys in 20-30 years who will be viewed a lot more positively than he is today,

y3kYq0.gif

I thought I had invented both the blue thunder power bomb and the mountain bomb circa 1988 while playing with my He-Man toys. Blue Thunder was Man-E-Faces finisher and the mountain bomb was Dragstor's. Years later I considered lawsuits against Akiyama and Tenzan, but I let it slide.

y3kYq0.gif

I thought I had invented both the blue thunder power bomb and the mountain bomb circa 1988 while playing with my He-Man toys. Blue Thunder was Man-E-Faces finisher and the mountain bomb was Dragstor's. Years later I considered lawsuits against Akiyama and Tenzan, but I let it slide.

I thought I invented the double team Top rope clothesline/power bomb move with my Shatterstar & Longshot tag team. When I saw Benoit/Malenko do it in ECW I legit thought one of my friends told them about the move and they copied it (I had to be 10 years old at the time).

All you need to know is that Wikipedia doesn't buy the DDT story. And Wikipedia believes 93,173.

Wikipedia doesn't have independent sourcing for the DDT story. McMahon's touted 93K to hell and back, and enough people were gullible-slash-lazy enough to take his word that it got printed a lot.