DVDVR Message Board

SEPT 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

RIPPA

In my experience, the only people in today's wrestling world that truly give a shit about the PWI 500 are the indy wrestlers that both insult the concept of PWI as a mark mag and still promote their spots in the list every.  fucking.  year.

(Knew I should've worked more matches in 2012.  I could've totally made #491 with those two ECCW title reigns...)

• Like 2

In my experience, the only people in today's wrestling world that truly give a shit about the PWI 500 are the indy wrestlers that both insult the concept of PWI as a mark mag and still promote their spots in the list every.  fucking.  year.

And yet here we are talking about it.  Every. fucking. year.

Seriously, at this point what number is larger:  the number of wrestlers on the list or the number of people who actually pay for the issue?

I'm surprised people still buy magazines in 2015.

I was talking with my friend about these earlier and we were actually thinking how hard it would actually be to just name 500 wrestlers to compose a list -- all time wise, not just active, so compiling a list of 500 active wrestlers is quite an impressive tasks even if the rankings is just thrown together.

I was talking with my friend about these earlier and we were actually thinking how hard it would actually be to just name 500 wrestlers to compose a list -- all time wise, not just active, so compiling a list of 500 active wrestlers is quite an impressive tasks even if the rankings is just thrown together.

It's easier when you get wrestlers to submit their own shit.

do they, though?

i have to believe magazines sales have fallen off a cliff. There is no retailer in my area that even carries video game magazines anymore, and video games are one of the biggest-budget recreational activities in the world. i can't imagine prowres mags have a bigger audience.

John Laurinaitis is engaged to the Bella Twins' mother. This is amazing and Christmas and Thanksgiving will be incredible.

Seeing people accuse the Bellas of putting them together so they'll have jobs for life and sleeping their way to the top.

I hate the internet.

Because they got to the top because of their talent alone, right?

Speaking of the PWI 500, anyone know whatever happened to mid-90s indy worker "Turbo" Eric Freedom?

Never saw the guy wrestle, but just seeing his name in the PWI in 1994-95 always made me wonder about him.

He worked in the northern Illinois and Wisconsin Indy scene for years as Electric Eric Freedom. He was doing a hippie gimmick. He was also enhancement talent during the AWF Warriors of Wrestling syndicated show. (You know, the federation that used the rounds system.)

He worked hand and hand with Rockin' Randy in Randy's independent fed: NAWF. They had a massive falling out in the late 90's and still do not like each other today. Last I heard he was living in Michigan and running a wrestling school. He also had a GoFundMe drive to save his house because he got behind in payments. Google search it. It's the definition of indylicious.

In my experience, the only people in today's wrestling world that truly give a shit about the PWI 500 are the indy wrestlers that both insult the concept of PWI as a mark mag and still promote their spots in the list every. fucking. year.

And yet here we are talking about it. Every. fucking. year.

Seriously, at this point what number is larger: the number of wrestlers on the list or the number of people who actually pay for the issue?

We didn't really last year and it was nice.

I remember reading the PWI 500 as a kid, seeing people like Mr. Ooh La La and thinking "who the fuck are these people?"

For those asking, *there's* the appeal. Anytime I've read the list, I start with 500 and work upwards.

• Like 3

In my experience, the only people in today's wrestling world that truly give a shit about the PWI 500 are the indy wrestlers that both insult the concept of PWI as a mark mag and still promote their spots in the list every. fucking. year.

And yet here we are talking about it. Every. fucking. year.

Seriously, at this point what number is larger: the number of wrestlers on the list or the number of people who actually pay for the issue?

We didn't really last year and it was nice.

Let's put this in perspective. We'll talk about this out of nostalgia and amusement and 4% false sense of outrage for about 18 hours and then move on to whatever the news of the day is today, be it some rumor about Kevin Dunn calling Chad Gable a Vanilla Midget or Axl Rotten setting himself on fire by accident while trying to suck on a lightbulb like Uncle Fester. 

• Like 2

Eric Freedom is indeed still running a school and terrible indie fed here in mid-northern Michigan. He ran the only two shows that have ever happened in my hometown. I think he still wrestles, as well.