DVDVR Message Board

AEW TV - 6/21 - 6/26/2023

Dolfan in NYC

9 minutes ago, JLowe said:

Well, the most common one I can think of wouldn't/shouldn't pass. In the words of Naughty by Nature: It's sort of like another way to call a cat a kitten, there's 5 little letters that are missin'

Tell me you wouldn't pop for someone being called a gutless wonder.

IMG-9980.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I'm sure they could get away with "chicken shit" once per show.

Regal could've totally pulled off "lily liver recreant," but that's about it.

Someone with enough clout to stay on TV like Punk should try to sneak in "dickless" some time. Tribute to Ghostbusters.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Go2Sleep said:

I'm sure they could get away with "chicken shit" once per show.

Regal could've totally pulled off "lily liver recreant," but that's about it.

Someone with enough clout to stay on TV like Punk should try to sneak in "dickless" some time. Tribute to Ghostbusters.

I think Jack Perry has the AEW claim for "chicken shit" although now that I think about it I'm pretty sure he also used the feline synonym.

Likewise, I think the term "yellowbelly" belongs to Terry Funk in perpetuity.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Peck said:

IMG-9980.jpg

I would, but I'd pop even harder if somebody called MJF a "recreant", "malingerer", or "poltroon".

Actually, Keith Lee should do exactly that.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Completely unrelated, but someone needs to use "I'm your huckleberry." in a promo.

I can't remember whether it was Henry or Phineas but one of the Godwinns had this tattooed on their arm, and I was confused as shit as a kid with zero frame of reference - I just thought it was a 'country' thing

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Completely unrelated, but someone needs to use "I'm your huckleberry." in a promo.

“I’m in my boys’ corner, and I’ll be your huckleberry all night long.”

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Peck said:

Can we PLEASE find some different synonyms for the word “coward”? 

DEAN~! would be sad that "yellow bellied egg-sucking dog" is no longer in the pro wres lexicon.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 5

11 hours ago, Fighting a man with a perm said:

I was thinking Naito might be Darby and Sting's third man??

I thought that too at first, but didn't they team with Shingo at last year's Forbidden Door?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BrianS81177 said:

I thought that too at first, but didn't they team with Shingo at last year's Forbidden Door?

Yes. @Dolphman 3000 says Shingo hated being used in a six man tag or something, even tho everything I’ve read was positive, especially about teaming with Sting.

Only thing I don’t understand, if it is Shingo, is that Sting said it’s someone who has history with Jericho or whatever. Which, out of everyone in LIJ, Naito fits that narrative more.

Overstuffed show to be sure, but not not a ton of fun! Gunns v Hardys felt like a WWETV match, but was 'perfectly fine' for what it was. Nice win for the Gunns. Fun gaga followed. I la-la-fucking-loved that White/Robinson, Starks, FTR and Punk all did run ins without having their music play to indicate they're out next. Small but awesome detail. They would've been smart to save the Punk promo and challenge til later, but this was fine. It's worth considering that - challenging somebody to a match not happening that night is much better saved for a taped promo. The live crowd is always disappointed. See the Darby tag partner announcement later for even better example. Jarrett v Briscoe was all the fun everyone expected to be. I'm okay with Jarrett taking a break before coming back for another incredibly fun run, but I'm also game for more next week and the week after. Karen Jarrett is a fucking great performer, and I wonder if there isn't a place for her to be featured more regularly. Maybe give her a lady to manage? Blackpool Combat Club promo as they do them, directly into the camera, are always awesome, and more talent should be doing this type of promo on every show. And in between shows on youtube. Note, it does feel a bit strange seeing Callis and Mox so chummy. Le Suzuki Gods v Fox/Martin/Andretti was fun. Darius Martin may not have the flash of Dante, but he's fuckinfantastic, and I suspect going to be a much bigger star than what may be expected. Andretti is kinda quietly been getting better and better too. AR Fox is a great hand, every week, always provides. Loved Suzuki in this. Boo to production for missing the Jericho-Suzuki pose. Get your shit together Mansury! Jericho-Sting confrontation was fun and funny. They're building something special here. Blind Tag Tournament Promo with Schiavone and RJ City was a bit pointless. RJ City seemed to not be playing RJ City nor dressed like RJ City. Not into that choice. Elite/Eddie promo was solid. I liked building to a later announcement of the other partner. Adam Cole/MJF segment wasn't without it's moments or merit. Tho, it did get a little further over the top then desirable. And they stuffed a lot too much into that one segment. Man, Tanahashi would be far better off speaking in Japanese with subs. Not to say the promo wasn't kinda hilarious, but not sure it was supposed to be kinda hilarious. Oh and 'Blind' tournament=Battle Bowl, yeah, game on! It's a concept worth improving upon, and I have no doubt they will. I like Schiavone making impromptu announcements, and I kinda liked MJF and Cole telling him simultaneously to shut up - even if it was a bit too cute. OC/Shibata v Garcia/Sabre felt like a gift. Tho, a partial gift with the best portion being saved for a little later. Will Ospreay promo was solid as per usual. Who does Callis have to offer? Statlander v Taya was 'perfectly fine'. The match would've benefitted from removing some of the choreography - in particular Taya's kinda embarrassing fall to the outside. Stat's got a few bits of offense that I'd love to see her remove. Surprised to see this feud come and go so quickly. Eddie Kingston-Jon Moxley confrontation was a nice bit of television. Again, love the no music entrance from Mox - somebody has gotten thru to creative! And then saving the music for the big Okada entrance. That's how you do it! I love Ishii as the fourth, great choice! He and Mox are great dance partners. Yeah, Yuta stooging all about for Danielson and Okada was terrific. Would've preferred the Danielson-Okada staredown without all the incessant commentary, but still! Yeah, far too much stuff to be previewing here. There's no way your audience is going to retain all that. They need to figure some of that out going forward. But really - no complaints! I can't believe I'm gonna be taking a stroll downtown, on both Saturday and Sunday evening, to see such incredible professional wrestling. So so grateful for all this incredible AEfuckingDUB!

• Like 6

BTW, I HATED the end of the OC/Shibata-Sabre/Garcia match where they all held onto the belt. It was stupid when WWE ended a Raw with Reigns and Lesnar playing tug-of-war with the belt, it was stupid here, too. I'm supposed to believe that these guys who just punched and kicked each other in the end, stand next to each other holding onto a corner or a belt and don't touch each other, just pulling at a belt long enough for the camera to get a shot?! Drives me BANANERS

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Peck said:

I remember Road Warrior Hawk calling his opponents "you bunch of gutless wonders" once -- but I forget the opponents.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Casey said:

Yes. @Dolphman 3000 says Shingo hated being used in a six man tag or something, even tho everything I’ve read was positive, especially about teaming with Sting.

https://wrestletalk.com/news/shingo-takagi-sting-carried-match-forbidden-door/

"One thing about that event was that Tanahashi and Okada had title matches, Ishii would have had a title match but for injury. I was running hard as IWGP World Champion for most of last year and I think people shouldn’t forget that. If I go over there again I should be in the title picture, I should be a main event guy there."

8 hours ago, Peck said:

It's in the song "If you tolerate this then your children will be next" by The Manic Street Preachers. Wade Barrett's favourite band.

IT'S ALMOST TIME FOR RAMPAGE, BABY!

MJF makes Rampage debut.

I wanna say "probably others will enjoy this more than me" and reiterate that I prefer Friedman as a wrestler rather than as a talker... But I thought his thing with Cole was really well done and I have allowed myself to be spoiled w/r/t what this segment is likely setting up, and I am STOKED for things to maybe get filthy here.

Owen Hart Foundation Tournament begins with Anna Jay vs Sky Blue and Jungle Boy vs Douki. 

according to the FITE app. Another preview I consulted seemed to believe that only Anna vs Sky is an Owen match. 

DOUKI is the LAST guy I imagined popping over for FD season, but it's definitely going to be fun to see what he and Jungle Boy can do in there. Likewise with the young ladies. LOVE the Owen!

Swerve Strickland & United Empire vs CHAOS. 

Speaking of things Gordlow loves: Jeff Cobb! Rocky Romero! Presumably! Love watching both of those guys fight, for almost opposite reasons. I have probably already recently mentioned that I love Forbidden Door season. This is non-stop mark-out material for me.

The Acclaimed in action.

I was SHOCKED by how young Max Caster looked when I did my 2022 FD pre-show re-watch. Not sure how that's even possible, considering it was only a year ago.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gordlow said:

IT'S ALMOST TIME FOR RAMPAGE, BABY!

MJF makes Rampage debut.

I wanna say "probably others will enjoy this more than me" and reiterate that I prefer Friedman as a wrestler rather than as a talker... But I thought his thing with Cole was really well done and I have allowed myself to be spoiled w/r/t what this segment is likely setting up, and I am STOKED for things to maybe get filthy here.

Owen Hart Foundation Tournament begins with Anna Jay vs Sky Blue and Jungle Boy vs Douki. 

according to the FITE app. Another preview I consulted seemed to believe that only Anna vs Sky is an Owen match. 

DOUKI is the LAST guy I imagined popping over for FD season, but it's definitely going to be fun to see what he and Jungle Boy can do in there. Likewise with the young ladies. LOVE the Owen!

Swerve Strickland & United Empire vs CHAOS. 

Speaking of things Gordlow loves: Jeff Cobb! Rocky Romero! Presumably! Love watching both of those guys fight, for almost opposite reasons. I have probably already recently mentioned that I love Forbidden Door season. This is non-stop mark-out material for me.

The Acclaimed in action.

I was SHOCKED by how young Max Caster looked when I did my 2022 FD pre-show re-watch. Not sure how that's even possible, considering it was only a year ago.

In addition, we find out if 8-10 more roster members are COWARDS~!

• Haha 2