DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2021

The Natural

9 minutes ago, kafkonia said:

It just occurred to me that one reason to hold of on Page vs Cole is that poor JR would have to call the match. Anyone who remembers Benoit vs Jericho knows what I'm talking about.

They’ve been covering a lot of 2001 on Grilling JR, and this has been an issue pretty much every time both guys are being discussed at the same time. Conrad will ask a question about Jericho and then politely sit through five minutes of JR talking about Benoit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 11/19/2021 at 12:28 PM, HarryArchieGus said:

Any Super Dragon online recommendations?  I had some PWG tapes in the early aughts, but fail to remember much passed his patented curb stomp.

Super Dragon has had a lot of good matches against Rising Son and TARO in PWG.   Any match you dial up should be fairly decent.

Since Bryan Danielson is in AEW.... Here is my recommendation.

Unfortunately, I cannot find the lead up vignette where Super Dragon defended the APW Worldwide Internet Title in an impromptu street fight against a homeless man.

Excalibur and Larry Rivera are gold on commentary.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 1

Moolah and Mae Young were both 76 when they wrestled against each other in 1999. I don't know if that's the record, but that would have to be up there.

Lawler was 66 and Funk was 71 when they last wrestled each other in 2015.

Edited by elizium
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's a silly thought, I know, but I sometimes wonder with the consistent talent pick-ups and lack of cuts if TK/AEW is projecting a 'spin-off promotion' somewhere not so far down the line.  I kinda hope so.  There's far too much talent out there to be wasting away in the mediocre trio of promotions underneath - namely NWA, MLW and Impact.  Tho, I'd also love for each of those promotions to make some positive changes and get on the right track so more talent have a good place to land.  

• Like 2

I'd be for TK buying ROH and keeping that operating "independently," but Wrestlenomics said Sinclair paid something like $6 million for it, and I don't see them selling for anything less.  No way is the current state of the brand worth that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dog said:

I'd be for TK buying ROH and keeping that operating "independently," but Wrestlenomics said Sinclair paid something like $6 million for it, and I don't see them selling for anything less.  No way is the current state of the brand worth that.

Well, what's the back catalog worth?  I'd say it's worth even more if the raw original tapes minus commentary exist (a remaster re-edit campagin would be terrific).  Gabe and the other awful early commentators voices attached would certainly make it less so.  That said, It doesn't sound like Sinclair is selling the name or tape library tho.  But that's a nice idea.  From my original post, I realize it's probably too early, but there own developmental show (like what a ROH purchase might be) would be a great addition down the road.  Tho very much enjoying these Universal Dark tapings for now.    

When the Wrestlenomics podcast started, it was co-presented by (former DVDVR Board posters) Brandon Thurston and Chris Harrington. Then Harrington left because Tony Khan hired him to handle the business side of AEW. So there's a fairly decent chance Thurston has a good idea of how the books look.

The videogame development is an investment, not an expense. It'll be profitable, eventually.

• Like 2

Sticking this here but with Cabana vs Danielson coming up, I wanted to see what was out there. This is between their 5 minute and 60 minute matches. It was fun, but I think I enjoy 2021 Cabana more. His stuff all looks so much more crisp. Danielson is best here being a total jerk on the apron barking orders at Daniels. The storyline is that Christian, NWA champ, was coming in to team with Cabana against the ROH champ, who wanted some redemption after the loss to Danielson in 5 minutes. Dragon needed a partner and Daniels agreed only if he'd get a title shot if they won. They did a good (too good for my liking, but it was good for the moment) job of keeping Danielson and Christian apart until the finishing stretch and it was a nice FIP on Cabana.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, elizium said:

Moolah and Mae Young were both 76 when they wrestled against each other in 1999. I don't know if that's the record, but that would have to be up there.

Lawler was 66 and Funk was 71 when they last wrestled each other in 2015.

I went to a lucha show in Queens NY recently with a tag main event that had Fantasma Sr - 60, Solar - 65, Fuerza Guerrera - 68 and Mascara Ano 2000 - 63.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AxB said:

When the Wrestlenomics podcast started, it was co-presented by (former DVDVR Board posters) Brandon Thurston and Chris Harrington. Then Harrington left because Tony Khan hired him to handle the business side of AEW. So there's a fairly decent chance Thurston has a good idea of how the books look.

The videogame development is an investment, not an expense. It'll be profitable, eventually.

I kind of feel like WarnerMedia is getting a bargain on AEW rights at the moment. I will be curious to see what kind of deal they can get when renewal time comes.

16 hours ago, ka-to said:

I went to a lucha show in Queens NY recently with a tag main event that had Fantasma Sr - 60, Solar - 65, Fuerza Guerrera - 68 and Mascara Ano 2000 - 63.

Was about to say, AJPW six-man tags with the likes of Baba and Rusher would raise the age allowable considerably but I wasn't even thinking about how old luchadores are getting. That probably takes the cake.

12 hours ago, TheVileOne said:

I kind of feel like WarnerMedia is getting a bargain on AEW rights at the moment. I will be curious to see what kind of deal they can get when renewal time comes.

OR USA or Fox looks at the ratings of WWE and plays hardball with WWE. Assuming the numbers stay relatively the same, AEW is relatively much cheaper than RAW, for numbers that are in the same neighborhood. But that is a long way off - and I have been saying for over six months WWE is for sale soon.  

What did I tell you guys about wrestlers doing the fist up pose? I was scared when I saw all those AEW guys with Giannis and none of them but Hook did it. Bret teaching the next generation the right way. Bret > Shawn 4ever.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, Jiji said:

What did I tell you guys about wrestlers doing the fist up pose? I was scared when I saw all those AEW guys with Giannis and none of them but Hook did it. Bret teaching the next generation the right way. Bret > Shawn 4ever.

This.

Edited by The Natural
  • Thanks 1

On 11/20/2021 at 7:35 PM, HarryArchieGus said:

Well, what's the back catalog worth?  I'd say it's worth even more if the raw original tapes minus commentary exist (a remaster re-edit campagin would be terrific).  Gabe and the other awful early commentators voices attached would certainly make it less so.  That said, It doesn't sound like Sinclair is selling the name or tape library tho.  But that's a nice idea.  From my original post, I realize it's probably too early, but there own developmental show (like what a ROH purchase might be) would be a great addition down the road.  Tho very much enjoying these Universal Dark tapings for now.    

Let's just keep Glory By Honor through Night of the Butcher the way they are, shall we?

• Haha 5