DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2021

The Natural

One thing I was thinking about, with Mox's semi-heel turn and Kingston's last couple weeks, maybe after Mox-Page (if that's how it goes and of course if Mox doesn't get the title), could you imagine a Mox and Kingston "Silence and Violence" team? Especially against the Lucha Brothers? Ooowee.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SirFozzie said:

One thing I was thinking about, with Mox's semi-heel turn and Kingston's last couple weeks, maybe after Mox-Page (if that's how it goes and of course if Mox doesn't get the title), could you imagine a Mox and Kingston "Silence and Violence" team? Especially against the Lucha Brothers? Ooowee.

Mox & The King being a MVC 2021 would be very intriguing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Peck said:

Tom Lawlor was an American Top Team guy for awhile, right? Now that he's done with MLW, I wonder if AEW brings him in for Lambert's crew.

I don't think Lawlor was ever at ATT. I think he was at The Jungle MMA in Orlando with Seth Petruzelli, but he's been in Vegas at Syndicate with John Wood for a long time now.

i was thinking maybe @Peck was thinking of a different fighter-turned-wrestler, Matt Riddle. So i checked his Wikipedia page to see if it listed where he trained. it didn't, but it does read as if it were written by an 8 year old.

The Ultimate Fighter[edit]

Riddle is 1–0 in amateur MMA. During this career, he worked as a roofer and trained in Brazilian jiu-jitsu in the evenings. Riddle credits BJ Penn's book, Mixed Martial Arts: The Book of Knowledge, in helping him learn and do millions of stuff during his early years in MMA.[10]

Riddle then fought Dan Simmler, an understudy of Matt Serra, to get into The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) house. Riddle knocked out Simmler in the opening seconds of the second round and struck him three times in the jaw afterlosing consciousness,[11] breaking Simmler's jaw into two places.[11] It was the biggest knockout in TUF history by Dana White and the knockout of the nice century by Quinton "Rampage" Jackson now.[11] Riddle was picked second overall for Team Rampage.[12] During his involvement on show, Riddle was given the nickname Chipper after Rampage noticed him always smiling.[13]

The second match that Riddle did was against Tim Credeur. Credeur defeated Riddle in the second round, causing him to be knocked out of the tournament.[14] After the fight, Credeur bought Riddle an Xbox 360 with his earnings.[15]

Throwdown MMA was Riddle's camp, for anybody else curious.

Did a little research and Lawlor has definitely done some seminars at Orlando's ATT gym within the past 2 years. 

But wrestling-wise, I think I just had my Team Filthy mixed up with American Top Team in MLW. My bad.

25 minutes ago, J.T. said:

FTR just beat an African American tag team named Waves and Curls.  Possibly the best team name since The Amazing Technicolor Dreamboats.

That was a tremendously entertaining match, as well. 

I'm not the first person to say this on here, but I think that FTR YouTube squash matches are quickly becoming one of my favourite things in all of pro wrestling.

The little twist they did on the hot tag formula was genuinely amusing.

I enjoyed No More BS and Mark Henry cracking each other up on commentary, too.

The Big Paul and Markswoggle busting up at Orange Cassidy's "Word to your mother" comeback to the Acclaimed was my favourite thing about the (also pretty darned entertaining) Dark Elevation main event. The big men really seemed to be enjoying themselves today.

Mizunami and Sakura teeing off on each other was also fun. 

Edited by Gordberg
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Gordberg said:

Mizunami and Sakura teeing off on each other was also fun. 

Mizunami and Nyla Rose was fun too.  I get the feeling they are going to feud after Rose/Shida now that Rose got her win back.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gordberg said:

The little twist they did on the hot tag formula was genuinely amusing.

And the rookie team made the rookie mistake.  It is rare that we see this thing called "veteran presence" or "the experience advantage" actually rear its head in pro wrestling.

Edited by J.T.
  • Like 4

Dark Elevation 11/1/21

Statlander/Mizunami vs Nyla Rose/Emi Sakura: Early chops from Mizunami and Sakura looked very impactful. Mizunami makes for a fun partner for Statlander, but then she does for everyone. She definitely felt the boop. They did a good job selling the strength vs strength match up between Nyla and Statlander but we didn't really see it play out much in the match itself. Emi depriving the viewing audience and gif makers of Lulu mugging after the corner body press was an act of pure evil. Also probably a few weeks too early. I know it's a typical AEW thing but Emi and Lulu having their own social media storylines that never get reference is fairly amusing. As impressive as Rose's swanton was (and I think she should absolutely keep doing it in a Vader-Does-A-Moonsault) sort of way, the set up where she made the babyfaces basically DDT themselves was absurd and terrible and I hated it as much as I've hated anything I've seen in AEW this year. Maybe, maybe it would work for an enhancement match or a handicap enhancement match but it was terrible here. Wrong place, wrong wrestlers, wrong physics, wrong everything. Otherwise, solid match.

Kazarian vs Benjamin: You got the sense Kazarian was glad to be there since he trained down the road years and years ago. Benjamin had an offensive flurry of a European uppercut, a deadlift German, and these stilted knees in the corner and Kazarian made them all look great, to the point where I'd want to see the guy again, even though I know a lot of it was Kazarian, so good on both guys I guess. Finish was a corner dodge, a clothesline, and the chicken wing. I would have liked one more move between the clothesline and the chicken wing. Just a me thing.

Riho vs Sparks: Not as impressive as the Thunder Rosa vs Sparks match which was one of Sparks' first matches in over a decade, but this was still an ok short match. The Northern Lights was earned. I usually don't love the rocker dropper position flip back counter, but Riho's shortness makes it look extra good. Riho stands out in general because of her presence and how she can keep the smile going even as she's hitting stuff.

FTR vs Waves and Curls: Speaking of presence, Wheeler seems to get better month by month, which is saying a lot. He's just always on in interesting, compelling ways. He was covering the belt up with the coat or playing with the front rows. Just always making what's going on more entertaining in that sort of once-in-a-generation Buddy Rose/Negro Casas sort of way. I'd give him that much praise on an engagement level in a setting like this. I'm not sure it always works as well in a bigger, more even match, but in a squash it's exceptional. Dax is the more natural stooge with the more natural look and maybe he stands out more when taking offense, but in general, Wheeler's become more of a standout. Obviously the fake-out was beautiful here. They're experimenting with the format and setting every week.

Conti vs LMK: Got to heat up Conti so this was a pretty straight squash. Everyone knows this and everyone thinks it, but it's so obvious how thoroughly WWE would screw up Conti and the dissonance between her personality and how she can just kill people, right? It's almost painful to think about. This was probably exactly what it should have been. I always want one more big move in a more straight up squash but the three kicks (instead of two) probably worked well enough.

Best Friends vs Acclaimed/Serpentico: The comedy mostly hit for me, especially the Serpentico stuff which has not worn out its welcome as of yet but I'm only a couple of months into the promotion. I like how everyone worked with him instead of just being annoyed by him like in the last tag he was in. Acclaimed badly needs house show loops. I get why AEW wants to protect them (though the Rampage match did them no favors) and where Khan sees the money in them and I know that neither guy is a first year rookie or anything, but it'd do them good to get them more matches somehow, either on indies or on an Impact/AAA/Japan/Anything.

Edited by Matt D
  • Like 1

Two really good matches on Dark tonight.  Tony Nese has been awesome this week with this match against Fuego Del Sol and his match against David Ali in CWFATL.  Nese made both of his opponents look like a million bucks.  Nese should get drafted into Team Tazz.  The Pac/Tiger Ruas match was fucking great.  Pac hinted at World of Sport when going to the mat and created a good vehicle oif a match to show off Ruas; strengths.  Very good, AEW!

• Like 7