DVDVR Message Board

AEW - NOV 2021

The Natural

Guest Jimbo_Tsuruta

Danielson stretches multiple members of the Dark Order, becoming cockier and cockier claiming sacred cows like Thesz, Bockwinkel and Robinson were two-bit mudshow bums not fit to lace his boots. Says beating Page will be as easy as pulling wings off a fly. 

So naturally, Page stuffs Danielson's submission attempts and Bryan resorts to a good ole rollup with a handful of tights to win the belt. 

Page will look like a clown if he loses on his first defence - he has to be put over Danielson clean without any hint that Danielson loses due to attritional damage from fighting Page’s posse.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Seems like they should have never gotten into this situation in the first place. They should be heading into Page/Cole and Danielson/Omega 2 instead.

Page clean over Danielson won’t hurt Danielson (Page is too much of a fan favourite, and the focus of victory will be on Page rather than on Danielson’s first defeat) but will be a huge boon for Page. So it’s not that much of a problem. Miro’s presentation is in a bit of a bind. Page/Cole should be a blockbuster title program for them if they can omit the tom-foolery so no problem holding back on that for now. I guess the only issue that arises here is if Danielson loses and enters a “where do I go next” holding pattern. But Danielson as TNT Champion can also work well too and keep that belt very strong should they want to put a belt on him. Maybe you re-run the 2 Man Power Trip storyline with Punk as heel world champ & Danielson as TNT champ down the line when Page does need to drop the belt. 

A lot of where they go next will probably depend on the ratings they get with Page as WC.

Edited by A_K
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, christopher.annino said:

Danielson couldn't beat Omega, Page could. It doesn't need to be much more complicated than that.

Omega couldn't beat Danielson - but Page can.

Oh boy. I want it, pump it into my system.

• Like 6

Dark Elevation 11/15/21:

T-Money/Nasty Russ/Sean Cooke vs Gunn Club: Ah, our pals from Jollyville getting a shot on the big stage. Russ was good in taking stuff, firing back, with his timing. I thought he made a good foil for super annoying (in a good way) Austin for a minute there. T-Money had a moment with Colton before taking Billy's finish. Quality enhancement stuff but I would have liked to see them do a little more obviously.

Emi/Bunny/Nyla vs Riho/Ryo/Skye: It was nice to see Bunny in the Nyla/Emi trios we've been seeing recently. She seemed happy to pose with all of them, and frankly, I thought she was good wilting this way and that as she ate Ryo's offense. Some of the babyface tagging seemed a little weird, but this was overall fun. Nyla really disappeared for most of the match after the dive before appearing for the finish. I liked her exchange with Skye who came off as gutsy. The fans are, of course, pretty into Ryo.

Hardy/Kassidy/Blade vs Uno/Stu/Angels: I needed a good look at 2021 Grasyon as he's the Dark Order member I have the least handle on, so this was welcome in that regard. The announcers do a good job putting Hardy over and he gives them little pieces of the puzzle to put together so good on everyone there. I think he could have themed Dynamite title challenge to Page in the next few weeks given how they've built him up over the last couple of months but people would probably hate the idea of that. Anyway, Grayson took most of this and had good strikes, good selling, a nice explosiveness out of the corner when needed. I could do without the back flip but some of that's on the guys who took it. Kassidy reacted to everything, so that's always good. The stretch was fun and didn't wear out its welcome with the triple dive working almost perfectly, without an overwrought set up too. Twenty years ago, a moment like that would make the opening of a show, but it did get the crowd going. I would have liked Kassidy to maybe cheat a little on that last roll up, just because it felt a little anti-climactic given the rest of the match. Probably would have been better to just end things on the dive/cannonball/frog splash instead.

Andrade vs Lord Crewe: Crewe has a good, if a little weird look (big, neat hair/scraggly beard). He had a few ok punches but despite acting like a babyface, the crowd wanted nothing to do with him. Andrade was interesting here, really controlling the center of the ring and refusing to go to Crewe. Headlocks, a boot to cut Crew off, and then the suplex/neckbreaker combo and his DDT finish. Didn't really bump or hit any big offense. Still worked for me though.

Soho vs Kruel: Probably the right match for the hometown hero. You need enough meat to it so Kruel got a few things in. She tried to stand out at least, so A for effort even if the execution wasn't always there. Ruby needs to do the tongue thing maybe 30% less? The back drop driver was nasty. The No Future is a good finisher on paper since she can hit it from any angle in any moment to anyone, but relative to the finishers in the promotion, it just doesn't feel impactful enough. It feels like a transition move or a cut off. Repetition will help I guess. Roc worked the crowd well as a babyface manager and I'm sure it was a nice moment for both of them, but and if they need a Teddy Long Managing Jim Powers sort of guy, he seems an ok choice, but not with Ruby longterm. I assume this was just a one time thing. They sorted out the music issues too.

QT vs Silver: Pretty good, but in that sort of .5 Worldwide point sort of way. My favorite stuff from QT here was the stalling and taking the house mic, the dodging and getting a roll up. My least favorite things were catching Silver for the swing out backbreaker and then jumping up to get Power Bombed (What was he going to do there? a 'rana? Come on). When they were clapping up for Silver, he should have locked in a chinlock. I won't go broken record on my Marshall thoughts. I would have liked to see a comedy spot or two in here too maybe? More stalling. More letting Silver work from underneath. More comedy in the payoff. Less video game offense by QT. Good effort though.

• Like 3

Matt beat me by a couple of minutes but I just finished Elevation so here we go.

Gunn Club Squash

The Gunn Club’s opponents are a trio of all-time ham and eggers. Show giving insight into what the Gunn boys were like as kids was great world building and makes me actually want to see a Show/Gunn feud on the YouTubes. 

Emi/Nyla/Bunny vs Ryo/Riho/Sky Blue

Lulu Pencil is tragically going back to Japan, so this might be the last time we see this crew together. Bunny fits right in. Hopefully Mei starts wrestling soon. I haven’t seen her work heel yet. Sky Blue is great at doing the just happy to be here rookie thing. This should’ve just been a tornado tag the way it was laid out. Emi and Riho could work together in their sleep; I’m glad Emi was in there with someone she trusted to do the rolling Romero. The little bit of Nyla and Sky interaction makes me want a competitive singles between them. I’m looking forward to the TBS title giving all of these women something to do. 

HFO vs Dark Order Trios

Weird combination of HFO guys. I like all of the Dark Order guys, but Silver is the breakout for me; his absence is noticeable when he’s not out there. They do the quick tags so getting their team up stuff in is more forgivable than in the women’s match. These aren’t the wrestlers I would put together in DO/HFO trios match, but they actually have great chemistry. Uno shouldn’t do that ref assist spot so much. If a wrestler is doing that every week you’d imagine AEW would make it an automatic disqualification or fine him if he kept it up. The crowd is more into this than 90% of Dark matches. This ended up having an awesome WCW Saturday Night main event vibe.

Andrade vs Lord Krewe

Lord Krewe looks like my barber. He gets some offense, but not a lot to chew on here. I love Show bringing up Andrade tearing the crotch of his pants while the camera is trying to shoot him from the waist up. 

Ruby Soho vs Charlie Kruel

Not much here, but Soho’s offense looks better against Kruel than it does against some of the women on the roster. 

John Silver vs QT Marshall

I think Silver can be a legitimate draw eventually. He should be a presence in the TNT title picture. QT is great at cut offs and he complements Silver’s white meat baby face act well. The Spin Doctor is really impressive looking. 

Very digestible show that was never a chore to watch. 

Edited by (BP)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Former AEW World Champion Kenny Omega will have all of his various ailments and injuries that he has been working through checked out Wednesday, according to Dave Meltzer on Wrestling Observer Radio.

Meltzer said Omega has been dealing with various injuries for several months but was determined to see the Hangman Page storyline come to completion which it did this past Saturday at Full Gear as he lost the title to Page.

Meltzer said after the evaluation, it will be determined if Omega will take a break from wrestling. Meltzer said Omega was going to take some time off at some point, but chose not to as he wanted to continue the storyline.

In a video released over the weekend by famous YouTube chiropractor and wrestling fan Beau Hightower, Omega said he has dealt with "bad" vertigo since 2018. He said it can get bad while he is wrestling and working while things are spinning is a new skill he has had to inherit.

Omega has wrestled 32 times in 2021, mostly in AEW with some Impact Wrestling and AAA appearances as well. That number is virtually identical to 2020 (34 times).

https://www.f4wonline.com/aew-news/aews-kenny-omega-getting-medically-evaluated-wednesday-359751?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Rad. Kenny's reign was fucking awesome but it's going to be so refreshing to not know where we go next now. Exciting times ahead. Hangman looked beat the hell up in the media scrum, like he paid a severe price for the title. What a visual.

Edited by Jiji
  • Like 4

"Going to be refreshing to not know where we go next" is a great way to put it. The tag and TNT titles have been picking up a lot of slack in terms of providing matches that could plausibly go either way while the top belt was put on ice until they could coronate the day-one hand-picked top guy. Between waiting for the coronation and holding off on stuff for COVID, I don't think there's been a world title match in either Moxley or Kenny's reigns that could reasonably go either way. Some good matches, sure, but with outcomes that were never in doubt. It was clear title retentions all the way through up until the clear as day title change. 

Now though? There's no crystal clear path they've locked themselves into, and a load of challengers to Hangman where it could go either way: Bryan, MJF (who's much more clearly positioned for a run than he was when he challenged Mox), Miro, Cole, Punk, Malakai, and Darby could all easily be positioned as the next champion. The cupboard is full, and that's even with Steens and Windhams potentially waiting in the wings. I have high hopes they aren't going to be too stingy and we get some serious PPV title matches that we can credibly view as toss-ups. 

Edited by John from Cincinnati
  • Like 9

AEW has done a great job of keeping people in positions where they can easily move them up and down the card.  I think a big part of it is the combination of a deep bench and never outright burying anyone on that bench.

An example is Matt Hardy.  @Matt Dmade a comment in his Dark write-up that Hardy could be a tv challenger for Hangman on a Dynamite.  It wouldn't take much to get there.  Sure, Hardy hasn't been in a "major" program, but he's been out there.  A couple key wins and he's there.  They have so many people they can do this with.  

I think that's a major factor in why AEW always feels "fresh".  Sure, there are people who, in my opinon, aren't clicking right now.  I feel like Sammy is a big one.  He won the TNT title and has kind of floundered.  But, really, it would only take a couple featured matches to get him hot again.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Log said:

I think that's a major factor in why AEW always feels "fresh".  Sure, there are people who, in my opinon, aren't clicking right now.  I feel like Sammy is a big one.  He won the TNT title and has kind of floundered.  But, really, it would only take a couple featured matches to get him hot again.

Maybe run back the first ever Dynamite match as a TNT title bout. That'd get the people up for Sammy. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Log said:

AEW has done a great job of keeping people in positions where they can easily move them up and down the card.  I think a big part of it is the combination of a deep bench and never outright burying anyone on that bench.

An example is Matt Hardy.  @Matt Dmade a comment in his Dark write-up that Hardy could be a tv challenger for Hangman on a Dynamite.  It wouldn't take much to get there.  Sure, Hardy hasn't been in a "major" program, but he's been out there.  A couple key wins and he's there.  They have so many people they can do this with.  

They’ve found a way to keep people in a good spot, ready to move up when needed, and not buried, while at the same time not doing 50/50, “how do we get out of this match?”  booking.  It’s really impressive.

• Like 2

The line up for Dark today.

Powerhouse Hobbs (w/ Hook) vs. Jaysin Strife
Andrade El Idolo (w/ Jose) vs. Jah-C
Shawn Spears and Wardlow (w/ Tully Blanchard) vs. Arik Cannon and Renny D
Ruby Soho vs. Hyan
Too Fast Too Fuego vs. Brandon Gore and Kit Sackett
The Acclaimed vs. Dark Order's Alan "5" Angels and Colt Cabana
Riho, Kris Statlander and Ryo Mizunami vs. Nyla Rose, Emi Sakura and The Bunny (Lulu's final appearance)
The Varsity Blonds and Lee Johnson & Brock Anderson (w/ Arn Anderson) vs. The Factory's Aaron Solo & Nick Comoroto, JD Drake and Ryan Nemeth (w/ QT Marshall)
John Silver vs. Peter Avalon
Sonny Kiss vs. Adam Grace
Dark Order's 10 vs. Mikey Wild
Scorpio Sky vs. Craven Knyte

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ace said:

The line up for Dark today.

Powerhouse Hobbs (w/ Hook) vs. Jaysin Strife
Andrade El Idolo (w/ Jose) vs. Jah-C
Shawn Spears and Wardlow (w/ Tully Blanchard) vs. Arik Cannon and Renny D
Ruby Soho vs. Hyan
Too Fast Too Fuego vs. Brandon Gore and Kit Sackett
The Acclaimed vs. Dark Order's Alan "5" Angels and Colt Cabana
Riho, Kris Statlander and Ryo Mizunami vs. Nyla Rose, Emi Sakura and The Bunny (Lulu's final appearance)
The Varsity Blonds and Lee Johnson & Brock Anderson (w/ Arn Anderson) vs. The Factory's Aaron Solo & Nick Comoroto, JD Drake and Ryan Nemeth (w/ QT Marshall)
John Silver vs. Peter Avalon
Sonny Kiss vs. Adam Grace
Dark Order's 10 vs. Mikey Wild
Scorpio Sky vs. Craven Knyte

This is going to probably chip into the Williams/Gordy vs Jumbo/Taue match I had slotted. So it goes.