DVDVR Message Board

DECEMBER 2017 WRESTLING DISCUSSION

8 minutes ago, Casey said:

As long as we're talking about chants with expletives in them, I loved the Fuck You Roman chants.

Pretty sure at WrestleMania 22 there was a (since edited out) "Let's go Cena/Fuck you Cena" during chant

• Like 1

I would watch that on YouTube or DailyMotion, but man oh man do I not care to relive a Triple H/Cena from the mid 2000s.

But, one year later (and a few weeks), Cena/HBK had that hour long RAW match that I remember loving and now I want to re-watch that.

2 hours ago, sabremike said:

Since you decided to bring me into this, I love Meltzer because there is literally nobody who I've learned more about Wrestling from than him. The Observer is amazing, if it wasn't it wouldn't still be around after 27 years. I make ZERO apologies for liking and respecting Dave Meltzer.

If only I was as loyal to Dave Batista as you are to Dave Meltzer I would never have made fun of the time Batista dressed as the Untuckit-com guy going for a drive in 1917.

article-2688421-1F89813F00000578-957_634

• Like 4

I heard John Pollack and Wai Ting bring this up on their podcast and its true. The Bucks invite and I am sure wish for the responses from corny/MMA guys etc because they know the attention it will bring them and they know how to cultivate it. And really that's what they have to do. They're true independent wrestlers and let's be real, neither was ever going to be Strowman or Reigns on Raw. IMO, what they have done, the money they have made and the niche they have created without any major company marketing help makes them some of the smartest people in wrestling history. And that's really outside their wrestling style or whether I like their matches. 

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

Pretty sure at WrestleMania 22 there was a (since edited out) "Let's go Cena/Fuck you Cena" during chant

i was there. literally the first time i heard the crowd chant (outside, in line to enter the building) was a "fuck you cena" chant. it was glorious.

Mania 22 was such a blast. they should run Mania in Chicago again.

The whole DC/Bucks clusterfuck deal is amazing to me as it isn't even that it is a super flippy sequence... it is basically an in-joke spot.  It is basically them doing that "two people dropkick and neither hit" spot to an absurd degree.  That's only gonna work on people who watch enough wrestling to recognize the trope, and even then only a portion are gonna really love it.

As happens whenever an in-joke is shown to people who aren't in on it, they looked at it with a confused look on their face and thought it was stupid as hell.  I see that DC has a passing interest in pro-wrestling but nothing gives me the impression that he's that huge of a fan.  You show that spot to a hundred people who don't really watch wrestling and I don't know that you even get a few positive reactions.  That is perfectly fine as long as enough people dare in on it and enjoy it (the Bucks have never been about broad appeal, they have been about making their existing fans diehards and monetizing them to the fullest degree possible), but even on the spectrum of "MMA guys don't like pro-wrestling" this is the most nothing thing imaginable.

...Also if you are gonna do that opening "counter and flip" sequence try to at least perform it better than that.  The second "backflip out of your hand sweeping my leg" was telegraphed and just done poorly, and these kinda of sequences are hut most by things like that.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sasha said:

My feelings towards the Young Bucks is that they are really good athletes capable of doing some crazy things, but I don't really want to watch them because it doesn't fit in with my expectations of what pro wrestling is. Same with Kenny Omega. I can respect what they are capable of doing while thinking their work is something I'd rather not spend my time or money watching.

I feel like Omega is hammy, but it works.  It doesn't work as much with the Bucks- who are more comedy guys to me.  I see them as flippier Colt Cabanas.

That might be because Omega is a lot better athlete than the Bucks, and because his offense looks like it hurts.

6 hours ago, Brian Fowler said:

That's my favourite of the Cena/HHH matches. 

6 hours ago, Casey said:

I would watch that on YouTube or DailyMotion, but man oh man do I not care to relive a Triple H/Cena from the mid 2000s.

But, one year later (and a few weeks), Cena/HBK had that hour long RAW match that I remember loving and now I want to re-watch that.

I watched Michaels vs. Cena RAW 23rd April 2007 long match a few months ago. I thought the match was even better and I really liked it back then.  Terrific match, prefer it a great deal more to the WrestleMania 23 match. 

31 minutes ago, RIPPA said:

Dean Ambrose’s elbow injury is legit (RAW angle was to cover it) and he is paying a visit to Birmingham 

Dun Dun Dun...

That would explain why he grabbed the elbow before he even hit the ground.

And then they showed that fact in slow-mo on a replay and said it was the impact afterward that did it.

Perhaps he is alluding to the eventual call up to 205Live which many of us have stopped caring about but it does sound like they are making more efforts to make it more important so maybe by the time they're called up things will be better.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Sublime said:

Perhaps he is alluding to the eventual call up to 205Live which many of us have stopped caring about but it does sound like they are making more efforts to make it more important so maybe by the time they're called up things will be better.

That's a bingo.

19 hours ago, MORELOCK said:

I never actually said that people use his star ratings to end arguments about which matches are good, just that people are slavishly devoted to him and his opinions (which stretch far beyond star ratings.)

Here's a relatively fresh example of the love he gets:

Here's an example of the idea being presented that people that take issue with Meltzer are working a contrarian gimmick:

LOL

Either:

This is some Bixworthy post history diving

OR

You caught feelings over those posts and saved them in your back pocket for a rainy day

Neither is a good look, my friend

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Technico Support said:

LOL

Either:

This is some Bixworthy post history diving

OR

You caught feelings over those posts and saved them in your back pocket for a rainy day

Neither is a good look, my friend

I don't know what you're referring to with "Bixworthy," but it was one of the first results when I searched for "Meltzer contrarian" because I was asked to produce evidence of a Meltzer bias on the board. I remembered the post because it's less than a month old and I addressed it at the time.