DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION V.2.0

When the two promotions were one group, I had to refer to the "MMWA-SICW"...they split into separate organizations a few years ago.

There was also a group in my area that went by "Coloney J.T. Presents All-American Wrestling" (CJTPAAW).

As i mentioned On our Dusty pod, we had a rotor on our TV antenna, so we could get Baltimore, Philly, Lancaster/York and sometimes DC and NJ tv. So in mid 80s, we got both wwf shows, both nwa shows, world class, and later UWF and even IWCCW.

Sounds like where I grew up. With a huge rooftop antenna and rabbit ears on Saturdays in 1986ish I could watch the following.

WWF Wrestling CHallenge-Aired on NBC outta Mobile at 12am for years.

WWF Spotlight-Channel 44 outta Pensacola.

WWF Superstars-Channel 44 at 7pm then Channel 15 at 9pm.

WCW-Some syndicated show,aired at various times on Saturday on Channel 15. 2pm was where it was for the longest.

WCCW-8pm Channel 15

Memphis-6pm on Channel 25

GLOW-Channel 15 at 11pm

Continental-Always Saturday afternoons on Channel 15. Sometimes it was at 1pm after Sat AM cartoons were over. Sometimes it was like 4pm.

Florida-Channel 44 at 3pm

Mid South/UWF-10pm Channel 15. 

And for the 5 weeks it was on tv GCCW at 9pm on channel 13.

I watched every bit of it. If two shows aired at the same time I would tape on in the living room. Then sometimes record the other on the Betamax in my room.

Hey. I want to clarify my post earlier.

Recently I've had an issue with a friend of mine that I've known for a long time and his health. He's not in great condition for reasons I don't want to disclose.

When someone you care about is in shitty shape, you don't really understand why people would be sad about people they've never personally known.

I don't mean to imply that your reactions are incorrect or improper. We are all human, we can make whatever comments we like. And have whatever emotions we like.

And the comment at the end was obvious sarcasm to show I'm not really offended. Sorry if my post was taken personally.

So I guess to answer the question, the answer is my friend who did Indy wrestling on the west coast. That will be the one that affects me.

As I am the guy who initially asked the admittedly morbid question, no offense taken, dude. I'm also sorry that your friend isn't doing well. I hope things pick up for him.

Also, Odessasteps, I was thinking Bobby Eaton, as well. I've always had a soft spot for him, especially after watching a few of his shoots, and hearing other wrestlers talk about him. Just seems like a humble guy.

• Like 1

Kind of a random question, but.... what wrestler or wrestling-related person's death would/will likely impact you the most when it happens and why?

Hulk Hogan, because he is pro-wrestling to me. There's no way I don't cry like a baby when WWE airs the video package twenty times. Without Hogan, I never even get into wrestling. Thirty years later and he's still around and I still mark when his theme hits.

• Like 1

DO IT!

I usually played a character that was a shameless mixture of Hunter Hearst Helmsley and Ted DiBiase. I'd have my character pay off referees, staff members and use that in order to cheat and get his way. He was also "old money" and a spoiled brat so he was like HHH in that respect.

Hey, we did the same gimmick! :)

We tried to start up a DVDVR one again a couple years ago.  What is so often an E-Feds undoing is that it's so time-and-effort intensive just to write one show, and the only reward is intrinisic. 

DO IT!

I usually played a character that was a shameless mixture of Hunter Hearst Helmsley and Ted DiBiase. I'd have my character pay off referees, staff members and use that in order to cheat and get his way. He was also "old money" and a spoiled brat so he was like HHH in that respect.

Hey, we did the same gimmick! :)

We tried to start up a DVDVR one again a couple years ago.  What is so often an E-Feds undoing is that it's so time-and-effort intensive just to write one show, and the only reward is intrinisic. 

The most successful one I was ever in used TNM to generate the matches, and just added in commentary and angles.

You could always use EWR to simulate the matches and just ask guys to write their own promos. You could even let guys allocate numbers for their own EWR stats, just give a number and say that they can divvy it up among the core stats.

Things like charisma and over would have to be decided based on writing skill sadly. You can't have a guy like paranesi with 30 charisma while some guy who can barely put a sentence together gets 100 charisma. 

It'd be a fun idea but everyone would have to be committed to contributing promos and talking to the bookers about their push and character ideas. Probably better idea in theory than practice.

Are they going to start having SummerSlam outside of LA again or is this year a one off because of Mania being in Cali? If so Im sure Indies are going to try to get the rub off SS every year like Mania weekend, which I think is a good thing especially since the indie scene seem to  be picking up steam again.

When Undertaker goes, how do they refer to him on his Big Black Tribute Screen? "The Undertaker;" "Mark Calloway;" "Mark Calloway aka The Undertaker?"