DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION V.2.0

I haven't seen much LU, but I've seen about the first three months worth of shows and Sexy Star looks so much worse when put next to Ivelisse, who outclasses her in every way. 

I've seen everything there is to see, including everything that hasn't aired yet, and you're not wrong.

Also everyone saying they haven't seen much/enough of Lucha Underground should all hate yourselves and apologize to Sr. Cueto

I find it kind of humorous that people in the LU thread are shitting all over Killshot and Sexy Star, while over at the NXT thread people are trying their damndest to somehow find a way to defend Dana Brooke and Mojo Rawley.

• Like 1

It's a show where I appreciate how different it looks and how fresh it is, but I just can't get into it. I've tried twice, and it always loses me. For example, people praise the backstage stuff being shot basically telenovela-style, and I agree that it's a fresh, thoughtful way to do that sort of thing in theory, but in practice, I think it looks terrible. 

I also really hate Johnny Mundo and I'm not into Prince Puma, and those guys dominate a lot of the first three months of shows (along with Sexy Star, who I also am not really into). 

Also, Matt Striker fucking sucks. Vampiro is actually pretty funny as your strung out uncle saying random shit about the matches in front of him, but he needs someone stronger to anchor the calls for him. 

The dude who plays Dario Cueto is fucking aces, though. Best facial expressions in wrestling this side of William Regal. 

I do want to see Patron and some other guys I've heard a ton about, though, so maybe I'll try to power through a bit more in the next little while and see if it picks up. 

Alberto drove up in an Aston Martin in his first vignette (which has been repeated multiple times). He's worn expensive suits in backstage segments with Mundo and Cueto, though he's often a lot more 'man of the people' in his appearances in the temple. His character in LU has been pretty spot on as a face incarnation of his schtick, his first in-ring promo is definitely worth watching.

I may have said this before, but I have never seen a Shawn Michaels match that I wouldn't have enjoyed more if he'd been replaced by somebody else.

Reading this thread, I was thinking exactly this and couldn't have put it better. I just dislike Michaels, despite him being objectively great in almost every aspect.

And he absolutely sucks now. Terrible in every appearance.

It's a show where I appreciate how different it looks and how fresh it is, but I just can't get into it. I've tried twice, and it always loses me. For example, people praise the backstage stuff being shot basically telenovela-style, and I agree that it's a fresh, thoughtful way to do that sort of thing in theory, but in practice, I think it looks terrible. 

I downloaded the English versions of the first few episodes and liked it well enough, but not enough to go check out everything else.  About two months ago I realized that the Spanish version comes on right before Ring of Honor on the next channel up and started watching it regularly.  I'm pretty much in agreement with the backstage stuff - it just comes off as so amateurish, almost like something that would come on TNN right before ECW.  At times I feel like I'm watching a drama/action series about a wrestling promotion than an actual wrestling show, if that makes any sense. 

That said, the in-ring stuff is top notch.  I don't know much about lucha and don't know a whole lot about the wrestlers who have been long-standing luchadors so I can't give a really strong opinion of them, but I like what I see for most of them.  The backstage stuff is easy enough to tune out so I'm easily able to just enjoy the wrestling though. 

Is the ring larger than average or is just the camera work that makes it appear so?

At times I feel like I'm watching a drama/action series about a wrestling promotion than an actual wrestling show, if that makes any sense.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I've only been watching for two weeks (and it's the Unimas replays in a language I definitely don't speak), but isn't that the actual concept of the show? A telenovela about a wrestling promotion?

Correct. It's a tv show about a wrestling promotion. The announcers don't know what happens in the backstage vignettes with people being murdered and shit, for example.

It's a regular sized ring, Zakk knows what's up

• Like 1