DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION V.2.0

I think my WCW fandom was a big reason why I was sad to see the WWE and WHC unified. The big gold belt was the last physical vestige of WCW, even if the last couple versions looked less than stellar. Its funny, but I even miss shitty, dying WCW. Sure, we have TNA to laugh at, but Its not the same

And I'm the opposite. WCW pretty much killed my interest in the business. I was a Superstation WTBS diehard. When it became obvious that the gritty, hard hitting wrestling that I Ioved was being replaced with silly nonsensical booking and, for the most part, shitty matches that didn't really matter, I just walked away.

The worst is when you would go to put on Saturday Night and the fucking Braves game would be in extra innings.  I waited all week to watch at 6:05, and you run this fucking bullshit!!!  Fuck that.  

EXACTLY! I was (and still am) in the MST zone so it was 4:05 for me. That two hours on Saturday were as close to must see tv as I ever got. I can still remember the theme music and how excited I'd get as Tony and David gave us the run down on who was going to be on that evening.

• Like 1

The worst is when you would go to put on Saturday Night and the fucking Braves game would be in extra innings.  I waited all week to watch at 6:05, and you run this fucking bullshit!!!  Fuck that.  

Other people would probably find it strange that I can sing the Captain Planet theme song without ever having watched an entire episode.

• Like 6

I'd watch Saturday nights and then, in 88, we had Main Event on Sundays and that was generally mid-card to main events from house shows. Oh those were the days. Hey, Bull Dempsey is fat. That's funny now, right?

• Like 1

As a huge Braves fan AND avid WCW fan, I was never more conflicted than during those times. 11 yr. old me was like, "we need this win, but I also need to see Harlem Heat talking shit directly into the camera like now..."

• Like 6

From Cageside seats via the Observer:

"Triple H and Stephanie McMahon are currently scheduled to return on next Monday night's episode of Raw. This is in response to bad ratings the past two weeks."

Yeah...because THAT's the problem....

I'd watch Saturday nights and then, in 88, we had Main Event on Sundays and that was generally mid-card to main events from house shows. Oh those were the days. Hey, Bull Dempsey is fat. That's funny now, right?

Bull Dempsey reminds me alot of Black Bart.

Take that how you will.

i didn't get into WCW until the Nitro era, but after the nWo came in, i was all about it. i'd watch whatever i could: Nitro on Mondays, Saturday Night at 6:05, Worldwide Saturdays at 1 am, Pro on Sunday afternoons...

i loved when they changed the Worldwide set to be that black and green tech looking environment. i have a feeling i'm in the minority here on that one tho.

• Like 1

Twiztor I'm with you 100% on all that, even the Worldwide set. What was great was that Worldwide aired at 2 AM here, so I could catch it right after ECW on MSG at 1. If I fell asleep, it was on the following Sunday afternoon on another station. Which really helped whet my appetite for Pro. I know Superstars and Main Event are still a thing, but C Shows just aren't the same without shitty Universal Studios/Disney crowds (cue Impact jokes) and weird WCW matches like Chris Adams v Konnan or Macho Man vs Silver King (not sure either really happened just throwing out examples). I have to check the C Show thread tonight when I get home and see some shit

• Like 1

Did any of you get Deep South in the late 80's? Nick Patrick was one of the announcers. It was soooo epically southern and dirty. I remember them promoing a show that was going to be held in the parking lot BEHIND a steak house. Two of the top stars were "the Rockin' Rebel" and "the man they call the Psycho." Snake Brown was there too. I found it spinning though the UHF DIAL on my tv....because I'm fucking Highlander.

From Cageside seats via the Observer:

"Triple H and Stephanie McMahon are currently scheduled to return on next Monday night's episode of Raw. This is in response to bad ratings the past two weeks."

Yeah...because THAT's the problem....

The sad thing is that ratings actually do go up when they are on compared to shows that they aren't.

Man, we used to get wometco cable when i was a kid. The cable access channel would have a 4hr block of wrestling on Saturday Am, brought to you by the Wolfman and Donna from Gallery Furniture. We'd get WCW Worldwide, the Smoky Mountain show, the USWA show, and WWF Challenge. Then we'd get WCW Pro on TBS and Mania on the USA network. Good times. 

I'm guessing that'd be worse when the Braves used to suck and they somehow blew a lead late to put the game in extra innings.

If Baseball-Reference can't/won't catalog the times that games got rained out. Some lunatic could list all the times that the Atlanta Braves impacted TBS Wrestling programs.