DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION V.2.0

Again, if the WWE followed any of their own rules then their television would be great. If they allowed the announcers to actually perform the way the handbooks outline, it'd be great. But they don't.

If they booked the way they swear they do in interviews and on that NXT special, the shows would be awesome.

It's very strange to me how much cognitive dissonance there must be to produce a show like Raw every week with all of these seemingly great directives floating around.

I don't watch a ton of indie wrestling and have seen one episode of TNA.

I will say that the current Raw team (and they have a ton of problems, particularly with Lawler) is better than what I've seen. And the current team is also infinitely better than WCW.

The one that will always kill me (and it's pure Vince) is "don't call it pro wrestling."

Vince, you've been THE dominant force in the business (suck it, announcer hand book) since before lots of your target audience has been alive. Your show has been the only wrestling some of these kids have ever seen. EVERYONE STILL CALLS IT WRESTLING. You tried the change to lexicon. It failed. You've had decades.

Words to avoid:
-"shot" (no title shots)

Ask questions:
-E.g. "What must be going through Batista's mind right now knowing he will never get another title shot against John Cena?"

*smoke starts pouring out of Michael Cole's ears*

The belt thing is just so stupid in my opinion. Yes, it's a championship, but the physical representation of the championship is a belt.

What if the Academy Awards said: Please don't call it a "statue", it's an award.

What if the Olympics Committee demanded their awards not to be called "medals" anymore. It's ridiculous.

It was really striking during the "Ambrose stole the title" thing last month.

He stole the championship. He's not the champion. If you'd just say he stole the WWE Title belt, those sentences would make so much more sense.

• Like 1

That's what I thought too.

Plus, Striker and Vampiro are the best commentary crew going today. A little depressing, sure, but they're so much better than everybody else. There's a rapport between the two, Striker sets the narratives, Vamp adds crazy Vampiro charisma and twists to everything and is a great Dusty-lite color man in that he loses his shit when big things go down. See: the Angelico dive and Vamp proceeding to get up and walk around the ring in disbelief.

• Like 1

Announcers should dress well and sit up straight? OUTRAGE!!!!

Well, they clearly don't enforce this.  Exhibit A: Jerrry Lawler

They handed this to Lawler and he started doodling on it before changing into his blingy t-shirt.

VKM's not completely wrong though.  I really don't care what Michael Cole thinks.

I don't know why WWE insists on a 3-man booth.  It really adds nothing.  It's already competitive and confrontational enough with just two guys at the desk but that's the environment they've fostered for years.

Even Striker and Josh Mathews outside of WWE still have too much of that WWE indoctrination in them.  Just like when Taz left and went to TNA and would keep going on about finally having freedom but when they get down to it they're still doing it WWE-style right down to using the same descriptors.

Vampiro's refreshing cause he just comes off legit excited.  Like a Mongo McMichael or David Crockett.

Announcers should dress well and sit up straight? OUTRAGE!!!!

Well, they clearly don't enforce this.  Exhibit A: Jerrry Lawler

Don't forget the "No one should do commentary on a show they didn't research" too.....

I was a big fan of Jesse Ventura. Both in WWF and WCW. Ross/Ventura in WCW was a lot of fun. 

I always thought Gorilla was overrated & Bobby spent most the time trying to get himself over, especially in WCW. Always trying to get the last word before a commercial break or going off the air, trying to talk over people or my least favorite thing of all, just screaming "OHH!" for any and every big move. 

I never really liked Ross with Ventura or Heenan because for whatever reason he seem incapable of playing off of them. But I have weird opinions on announcers and think pre-WCW crushing his soul Schiavone was the best US pbp ever.