DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION V.2.0

Since it seems that the Total Divas thread is dead (probably a mercy killing  ;)  ) I will put them here.    Funny things on the show is apparently Dolph Ziggler is apparently trying to hook up with Nikki Bella which is terrible timing given the Lana feud,  the NXT angle of Eva Marie is now on the WWE and even worse, and the Bella's delusional belief that the popularity of the divas is the complete WWE while most people realize that it is only the NXT ladies popular while the others are still looked like crap   

Since it seems that the Total Divas thread is dead (probably a mercy killing  ;)  ) I will put them here.    Funny things on the show is apparently Dolph Ziggler is apparently trying to hook up with Nikki Bella which is terrible timing given the Lana feud,  the NXT angle of Eva Marie is now on the WWE and even worse, and the Bella's delusional belief that the popularity of the divas is the complete WWE while most people realize that it is only the NXT ladies popular while the others are still looked like crap   

I know it's a "reality show" ie most likely scripted, but I think it's pretty funny that the Bellas are mad at Eva for using the WWE to springboard her career outside of WWE when Nikki is pretty much trying to do the same thing, twice.  And that scene with the deaf dominatrix spanking Tyson might have been the most awkward thing I've seen in a long time.

Re: wrestlers you irrationally dislike --

Is it irrational to dislike AJ Styles because he comes off (in interviews on podcasts and such) like a disgusting, bigoted redneck?

Nope. In fact, I'd say that's one of the most rational reasons to dislike someone there is.
  • Like 3

A new announcer trend I've noticed that bugs the hell out of me is that when there's a potential big move/dangerous spot, one of them does the Shia LaBouf, "nononononononononono!" thing. I've noticed both Cole and Saxton busting that out. For instance when KO had Balor up on the top rope for that attempted fisherman's buster thing in Japan and when Cesaro had Cena up on the top rope for the attempted top-rope Neutralizer.

Is it irrational to dislike AJ Styles because he comes off (in interviews on podcasts and such) like a disgusting, bigoted redneck?

I like AJ's work more than most, but, yeah, he's come off terribly in a couple podcast interviews I've listened to.

• Like 1

A reddit guy has found the WWE's announcer instructions/guide from a few years ago (No mention of the "WWE Universe").  Some interesting stuff:

http://imgur.com/a/NW1WG

Some interesting stuff there. Maybe it will be more relaxed for announcers when HHH is fully in charge, but I can't imagine being an announcer, while having to follow all of Vince's notes, having him in my headset, and actually enjoy what I'm doing. I wouldn't be able to do it. 

"No one cares about what you think."

This is so awful. "Be yourself!" "But don't do this, this, this, especially don't do this, but have fun!" 

There's also a CM Punk waffle house reference. This seems like it was drawn up in 2010, so that's a year or so before Nash used that on Punk? I guess Hunter and/or Vince used it as a long-running joke.

Box Brown, creator of the Andre the Giant graphic novel, has these "screenshots" for a proposed game. I really wish it would be actualized.

tumblr_inline_n4gcqdQSwX1qenchx.png

tumblr_inline_n4gcqqaQpC1qenchx.png

Check out the rest on his site (http://boxbrown.com/godofwrestling). The man digs his rassling.

- attempting to tie in with yesterday's gaming disscussion,

RAF

Worth it for the "Gay Community??!!" line.

A reddit guy has found the WWE's announcer instructions/guide from a few years ago (No mention of the "WWE Universe").  Some interesting stuff:

http://imgur.com/a/NW1WG

I wonder when they changed their philosophy on "performer" and "performing,"  since that seems to be one of their big things the last couple of years.

There is really nothing in those announcer rules that doesn't make sense, except for maybe the stuff about "belts" and "title shots." I think it's silly that people are like "oh my god how can they operate under all these rules" like 99% of jobs don't have some kind of employee handbook shit that is way longer.

• Like 1

Well again - this is all the stuff Meltzer talked about them doing awhile ago

But hey - let's all act like Dave has no credibility.

• Like 3

"You should not use verbiage written by a producer"...............is followed by several pages of verbiage written by producers, including a laundry list of some the most unnatural turns of phrase imaginable, "say this not that" bullshit and $5 words where 5 cent words would suffice.

• Like 1

All this talk about e-feds makes me want to revive DVD-Wrestling here...

Also, if that Box Brown game comes to fruition, I will break my "no mobile games EVER" rule and get that on day one.

Well again - this is all the stuff Meltzer talked about them doing awhile ago

But hey - let's all act like Dave has no credibility.

Well, he did claim TNA was canceled - get they are still on my tv. So, yeah, he's obviously wrong about that. I expect TNA to be on Destination America for years to come. [/vacationfromreality]

These announcer notes are super interesting.

I think pretty much every single one of them makes absolute sense and are good directions. Like, they're really great.

These guys are actors. They're playing sports commentators. Any sort of theatrical production has the director giving performers notes of some sort. Some are more detailed than others.Raw is a live TV show with so many different things going on. I mean, it's really insane how much production goes into an episode of Raw. And the WWE is beyond great at production. I mean, people notice if they have a wrong camera angle and a move gets missed. That's how good they are -- the flubs are noticed. Compare Raw to your average live sporting event, which requires a lot less work, since there aren't really any promos or cuts to parking lot attacks and the like. It's essentially the game, replays and the ever-so-often coach interview.

But these are far from heavy handed. I think: "Don't make fun of disasters" is a pretty great idea.

If anything, I wish they would follow them more.

• Like 2

And yet all these great directives somehow make wrestling so much worse.  That's a neat trick.

Yes, they're actors playing sports commentators.  Part of being a sports commentator is speaking to your audience in a relaxed and natural manner.  Using awkward terminology while carefully stepping around common words that normal humans beings use runs counter to that idea.  What is wrong with saying "the ref didn't see it?"  Why can't they say "feud" or "international" or "the title is on the line?"  None of these things makes sense except in a world where Vince suddenly decided he didn't like a phrase.  These aren't good guidelines, they're the ever changing whims of an aging lunatic.   Hell, on one page it says to not tell the fans what to think, then later it says they should call attention to things the fans might not be thinking, which means explain to the fans exactly what they should be thinking here.  By the way, the latter is what should be done.  The announcers are supposed to get the narrative across.

Cherry pick the few good ideas if you like but come on dude.

• Like 3

I like the note about "forced passion" and people being able to see through insincerity when that's basically the major problem with the current commentary. It all sounds like three guys reading from a sheet because their turn of phrase is so restricted. I did like the one about "titles don't change hands" That's a really impressive nit-pick. They should have spent this much time on their booking over the last 5 years instead.

• Like 2

And yet all these great directives somehow make wrestling so much worse.  That's a neat trick.

Yes, they're actors playing sports commentators.  Part of being a sports commentator is speaking to your audience in a relaxed and natural manner.  Using awkward terminology while carefully stepping around common words that normal humans beings use runs counter to that idea.  What is wrong with saying "the ref didn't see it?"  Why can't they say "feud" or "international" or "the title is on the line?"  None of these things makes sense except in a world where Vince suddenly decided he didn't like a phrase.  These aren't good guidelines, they're the ever changing whims of an aging lunatic.   Hell, on one page it says to not tell the fans what to think, then later it says they should call attention to things the fans might not be thinking, which means explain to the fans exactly what they should be thinking here.  By the way, the latter is what should be done.  The announcers are supposed to get the narrative across.

Cherry pick the few good ideas if you like but come on dude.

I would say that you're cherry picking the smallest details about there preference for certain word choices over the overall thing which are really strong notes.

A lot of these phrases are cliches that have been used for the entirety of televised wrestling. Why say those same things? How is using stronger verbiage and changing what has been said forever the sign of a raving lunatic?

Why not use "The ref didn't see it?" Because no f'n crap, I'm watching that unfold. "Show, don't tell" is one of the oldest and best philosophies in writing for live performance. Same with "less is more." Let me watch what happened and add on as opposed to explaining what happened.

Anyone upset about these things is someone who just gets upset over anything Vince supposedly does. Snooooooze.

Ehh. I think the biggest complaint with today's commentary is it comes off as bland and manufactured. It doesn't feel natural. 

While each of Vinces directives on their own arent a big deal, as a whole it gives credence to the feeling that the commentators are overdirected.