DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION V.2.0

I tried that bingiton challenge thing a couple years ago. You do five sample searches and choose which set of results are better.

My results: 4 Google, one tie.

Then it asked if I wanted toy again. Uh... No?

You gotta love how Vince's announcer notes direct WWE announcers to read a Joey Styles edited website.

(Even if it is just WWE.com)

Also, Joey Styles has been employed by WWE for almost a decade now.

Isn't the deal that Vince loves him for being really right-wing?

Possibly. 

I just find it funny because the IWC was like "JOEY STYLES IS A REBEL WHO WOULD NEVER GO TO WWE~!" for the first few years of the 00s. 

Not only did Styles go to WWE, but he basically found himself a job for life as a suit in Titan Towers. 

Joey Styles was a "suit" while he was in ECW too.

Dusty Rhodes was a great commentator.  He didn't always make sense but at least he was having a good time.

Booker's fun too when he isn't saddled with someone like Cole.  When Booker says something stupid, Cole can't just move past it.  He has to dig his heels in and get the last word even though he never knows what he's talking about either.

The only real emotion most announcers can convey these days is fear.  Fear of losing their job.  Bunch of job-scared pussies.

Joey Styles was a "suit" while he was in ECW too.

Dusty Rhodes was a great commentator.  He didn't always make sense but at least he was having a good time.

Booker's fun too when he isn't saddled with someone like Cole.  When Booker says something stupid, Cole can't just move past it.  He has to dig his heels in and get the last word even though he never knows what he's talking about either.

The only real emotion most announcers can convey these days is fear.  Fear of losing their job.  Bunch of job-scared pussies.

I like to imagine Dusty trying to obey Vince's list. 

It's a funny thought. 

I'd rank Raw's commentary as such Booker T > JBL > Saxton > Cole

Cole's obviously the worst, but I doubt much of it is really his fault.  That E:60 doc that showed him in on the booking meeting made him come across like a smart dude who knows what he's talking about, but the problem is that he's basically Vince's puppet.

I like Saxton more than Cole because he is legitimately just the commentary equivalent of throwing enough shit at the wall hoping something sticks.  Some of the phrases he comes up with are the most terrible, laugh-out-loud awful catch-phrases that you know he was working backstage with a writer who was like "This sounds cool" and is either delusional or just messing with him.  Saxton said something about Ambrose being in a "labyrinth of insanity" or something recently and it was the greatest thing ever.

JBL would be a lot more tolerable with a stronger PBP man to play off of.  He puts the heels over, he rationalizes their behaviour, he rails against babyface transgressions, the way a heel commentator should.  The problem is, with Cole unable to properly rebuke his comments, and instead just having to repeat whatever Vince is telling him to, his replies come off weak and it makes all the faces, by extension look weaker.  My biggest problem with him, aside from that, is he flip-flops a lot.  He'll badmouth the face all day, but too often he sides with them when the heel goes over the line (Heels should truly go over the line once, maybe twice a year, just beating a guy up shouldn't be enough to make JBL into serious JBL: "Kevin Owens went too far with Machine Gun Kelly, there was no excuse for that.") or just because he like them "That's why I call him Big Match John!"  Bobby Heenan was excellent at this, he would badmouth Hogan, then begrudgingly be like "Yeah, he overcame the odds this time..."

Booker T's the best because he clearly does not give a shit about whatever format he's being given, and just gets excited for shit he likes.  Where all the non-heel commentators turned on Naomi for turning on Paige, Booker T still couldn't be bothered and kept talking about her as a future champion.  He just seems like a dude who like to see fun shit.  And I love that.

• Like 1

I agree with you about Cole on the E:60 doc for sure, Caley. It really showed him in a different light. The interesting thing about Cole is that, despite the fact it was earlier in his career with WWE, he was so much better back when he was sitting in for JR in 1998 when he was sick. Now, whether that's a matter of being less produced/scripted, having less Vince etc. in his ear, or just having a hotter product, I can't say. But listening to him call Foley's first title win in Worcester, MA vs. listening to him on the average Raw for the last few years, there's no question. It was nice to have him somewhat back to that announcing style during the Japan PPV on the 4th. I feel terrible for shitting on the guy's work as much as I do, but it's just so, so very bad sometimes. One of these days I hope he just throws the headset down and goes into "Listen, fuckhead" mode on live television.

• Like 1

So  many things about the current potatoes instead of stuffing are intertwined and I feel like the announcers are just one more microcosm of the whole problem. Every wrestler in the company should be portrayed as a star and a tough SOB. An SOB that could easily kick your ass because you are not a professional wrestler. Instead, 3/4 of the roster or more is treated like goofballs, geeks and losers. The announcers should always be putting over this aspect instead of all the fucking nonsense that is really so bad. That guidebook is not surprising in hindsight. 

Speaking of Beast in the East, I can't believe it took Scott Kieth to point it out to me but the reason why I enjoyed that special so much was the camera work. The lack of in and out crash zooms did a lot for that show.

Booker T's the best because he clearly does not give a shit about whatever format he's being given, and just gets excited for shit he likes. Where all the non-heel commentators turned on Naomi for turning on Paige, Booker T still couldn't be bothered and kept talking about her as a future champion. He just seems like a dude who like to see fun shit. And I love that.

I think a lot of this is because his Reality of Wrestling promotion is starting to take off. They've got a TV deal, they're drawing good sized crowds to their shows, and they're starting to expand their territory by running shows in different parts of the Gulf Coast area, instead of one specific location. I think he's starting to see himself as a wrestling promoter first and foremost, and the commentary gig is something he does on the side for fun.

I agree with you about Cole on the E:60 doc for sure, Caley. It really showed him in a different light. The interesting thing about Cole is that, despite the fact it was earlier in his career with WWE, he was so much better back when he was sitting in for JR in 1998 when he was sick. Now, whether that's a matter of being less produced/scripted, having less Vince etc. in his ear, or just having a hotter product, I can't say. But listening to him call Foley's first title win in Worcester, MA vs. listening to him on the average Raw for the last few years, there's no question. It was nice to have him somewhat back to that announcing style during the Japan PPV on the 4th. I feel terrible for shitting on the guy's work as much as I do, but it's just so, so very bad sometimes. One of these days I hope he just throws the headset down and goes into "Listen, fuckhead" mode on live television.

YES!

People really forget how well Cole sold just how big this was for Mick Foley. Cole throwing in the bio info while talking up the title win did a lot for the moment. 

• Like 3

Not familiar with him but I'll have to look his stuff up. I was joking around before, but the guy actually really does have a pro wrestling look if I've ever seen one.

Only been wrestling for a few years, but is already really good.  Good area for him to work in; St. Louis loves it some Brody influence.

Has Hulk Hogan's WCW contract and its many many perks ever been leaked? Fuck the WWE announcer notes, I bet that's the read of a life time

Its just 26 pages of your username over and over

And at the very end, just the word "bandanas."