DVDVR Message Board

JULY 2015 WRESTLING DISCUSSION V.2.0

Them and WGN were really the first of the run syndicated shows forever networks. That's how I ended up seeing a bunch of the 80s shows that I was too young to watch when they were first airing.

In terms of Sat Afternoons - College Football would be the other thing that would pre-empt/delay Sat Night

Back in the late 80s, TBS was the home to old sitcoms like Leave It To Beaver, Beverly Hillbillies, Andy Griffith and Sanford and Son.  IIRC, TBS aired the "Beaver" pilot (which featured Harry Shearer as an Eddie Haskell-like character) in 1987 to mark the show's 30th anniversary.

During the angle where Rick Steiner was crazy about "superfan" Robin Green (who would later become Woman), they did a skit with Jim Ross going over dating dos and don'ts with Steiner ahead of his "first date" with her.  Steiner said his date night plans included putting on TBS and watching "90 minutes of Leave It To Beaver".    Not sure why, but that cracked me up.

I wonder why, back then, WGN never gave in to the siren's song of sweet, sweet wrestling. It sure did TBS pretty well. Maybe it did and I forget, but I was a wrestling hound when I was a kid - if I was on, I watched it. Saturday afternoons after cartoons were huge back before Ronnie poisoned the well by allowing infomercials. Lot of Southeastern and a lot of Mid-Atlantic.

Later, it was whatever WWF it was on USA on Sundays along with the TBS stuff. I never really watched any of the ESPN wrestling religiously - I'd catch it on every once in a while. I grew up hating, and still hate, the Braves 'cause they'd knock 30 minutes to an hour off my beloved wrestling sometimes. That's really a grudge worth holding, in my book.

Then there was ICW (the Poffos' promotion) for a bit, followed by Memphis wrestling, for some reason (I was on the other side of the state), for a while late at night in college.

Then after college, it was Smoky Mountain, but they got bounced all over Saturday afternoons because of coverage of the got-dang Tennessee Vols. Then the original ECW TV on one of the sports channels at 2 a.m. Friday nights was literally the highlight of my week. I wish I could get half as giddy about wrestling now as I used to get for that ECW show.

Them and WGN were really the first of the run syndicated shows forever networks. That's how I ended up seeing a bunch of the 60s shows that I was too young to watch when they were first airing.

Fixed.

/oldmanclub

UWF and World Class back to back is the best weekly block of pro wrestling possible. Probably a big part of why I've been watching this stuff for 30+ years now...

Actually, I think PWTW preceded that. Love that show as well, clipped to bits or not, so that was a hell of a 3 hours every Saturday night. In retrospect, I was likely far too young to be up that late, but I'm glad I was!

As i mentioned On our Dusty pod, we had a rotor on our TV antenna, so we could get Baltimore, Philly, Lancaster/York and sometimes DC and NJ tv. So in mid 80s, we got both wwf shows, both nwa shows, world class, and later UWF and even IWCCW.

• Like 1

The worst is when you would go to put on Saturday Night and the fucking Braves game would be in extra innings.  I waited all week to watch at 6:05, and you run this fucking bullshit!!!  Fuck that.  

Other people would probably find it strange that I can sing the Captain Planet theme song without ever having watched an entire episode.

Captain Planet, he's our hero. Gonna take pollution down to zero. That's all I remember. 

• Like 1

When I was a kid, I didn't even have to watch cartoons, I just got a steady diet of wrestling

AWA first

then NWA- I think Florida,

then Memphis

then WWF

then WCCW

then time for ACC basketball/football or TWIB.

The only cartoon I might have watched is if I was up too early for AWA and would catch a bit of Star Blazers.

Hey, anyone know what the update is on teams going into King of Trios?  I know the Bullet Club is in, as is a lucha team w/ Aero Star (I think, though I may be confused because I think he's in BOLA).

I actually started backwards.

I lived in NoCal and we actually occasionally got AAA and CMLL TV on our local Spanish station.

I didn't get into WWE til 1995 full time, and WCW until 1996, but I knew who Rey Mysterio and Konnan was when they came to WCW.

From there I got into ECW when they got TV on America One Television on a local station that wasn't even on my cable lineup. I had to get the rabbit ears out to watch it every Saturday.

In 2000, America One Television had a pretty decent lineup. Memphis, XPW and ECW and I think WWE Developmental at one point. That was the first time I saw Bryan Danielson. After XPW lost TV and ECW went under, the one promotion that always stuck with me was NWA Wildside. I don't know what it was. But it always stuck with me. Between the talent, the entertaining commentary and the good booking it just hooked me I guess. Plus this was during the Invasion. If it weren't for NWA Wildside, I probably would have stopped watching wrestling.

I got back into watching WWE at the end of the Invasion til about 2012. Impact here and there.

I don't even remember how I got into wrestling. The man who would go onto be my brother in law gave me some AJPW tapes when I was a kid and I fell in love with Misawa. Even though I didn't speak the language, I understood most of what was going on because my sister was learning to speak Japanese and could translate a bit of it for me.

The talk in the TNA/GWF thread got me thinking.

Who is gonna be the first company to go away from TV and go to something like Twitch? I mean, TNA on Twitch would probably grab more eyes than they have now.

The negative is that they will need to fill out commercial breaks themselves. As in finding advertisers. Plus they would probably get a cut of the ads Twitch plays.

Here's what Wikipedia has on KOT '15.

Thanks man; no idea why it didn't occur to me to check Wikipedia.